Active Topics

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dundee
On printed circuit boards the faults are classed as Catastrophic or Latent damage.

Catastrophic damage means it has failed in production and hasn't worked right from the production line. Sometimes 1 in 5 or 1 in 10 devices depending on the class of the device will be tested. Usually not every device is tested. So the board can still slip through QC

Latent damage can be caused as such things such as Electro Static Discharge and show as OK even under testing only to fail later in the devices lifetime (where the solder joint is literally hanging by a thread)

So unless every device is stress tested individually (medical, military etc) then there is no sure way of guaranteeing the device against failure other than offering a replacement.

just some info to clear up as used to work in PCB factory for motorola if its any help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MonkeyMagic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
You are assuming mathematical constants on an electronic device with many parameters:

Please do not use your arguements as an opening to a thesis
I've read too many

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
There are hardware defects for all electronics. Read the newegg customer reviews and you'll find people describing DOA motherboards, video boards, cpu's, printers, and so forth. We don't have any worldwide sales figures for the n900, but it's probably (my assumption) in the thousands over the last month since release. Keeping it in perspective, a few dozen reports of reboots and dead mics posted here, plus more experienced by customers who don't post here, isn't that unreasonable. It's not ideal, but it's probably less than a 2% defect rate. People shouldn't be berated for posting about problems; they're only looking for support and some sympathy. They in turn should understand that the vast majority of customers, like me, have flawless units that have actually exceeded expectations. It sucks and I feel for you; if the demand wasn't so high, you'd probably have your replacements sent out very soon and we'd all be happy.

Hmm..........,

Is this phone really gone bad or just operator error? Start to see so many people here complaining abt their phone.... or it is because they install lots of crazy stuff, mod it, changing setting here and there (rather than the factory setting) or just because the phone is not ready for production yet due to rush.

Please advice.

Posts: 486 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by fnordianslip View Post
It's not a phone. I am tired of people claiming it is.
that's odd, because I can make PHONE calls with it. you must have a faulty PHONE.

My cellular PC works great, has never rebooted itself and runs like a champ.

Yours must be faulty.

Originally Posted by radiowc View Post
Hmm..........,

Is this phone really gone bad or just operator error? Start to see so many people here complaining abt their phone.... or it is because they install lots of crazy stuff, mod it, changing setting here and there (rather than the factory setting) or just because the phone is not ready for production yet due to rush.

Please advice.
Install and mod what...there is nothing to install and mod except for a few apps here and there. If the phone gets messed up in one way or another you'll notice and you just reflash it.

This phone was obviously rushed. The OS on it is about half way done in terms of features. That's why I always LOL when people claim all this stuff will be fixed in the next update. Sure, if that update is coming in 2 years I believe it will all be fixed.

Let's just put it this way...This phone was shipped with a huge list of bugs that would've probably stopped any other manufacturer from releasing it. Nokia's spin on it was 1. it's not a phone and 2. it's a device meant for enthusiasts. Both of these are BS just like the launch, missing app store etc etc. If you see all these complaints on this forum it's because this phone is a failure for 99% of the users out there. If you're not an 'enthusiast' then stay away from it. It's still a work in progress.

If you want a device that has the best browser on the market, but a mediocre user experience then go for it. I can't say I am not happy with it but it's because I mostly just use it to go online....which is what it does best.

Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post

If you want a device that has the best browser on the market, but a mediocre user experience then go for it. I can't say I am not happy with it but it's because I mostly just use it to go online....which is what it does best.
Sound kinda disappointing with this phone.... will wait longer and see how it goes...thanks for the input.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by Megacrazy View Post
Install and mod what...there is nothing to install and mod except for a few apps here and there. If the phone gets messed up in one way or another you'll notice and you just reflash it.

This phone was obviously rushed. The OS on it is about half way done in terms of features. That's why I always LOL when people claim all this stuff will be fixed in the next update. Sure, if that update is coming in 2 years I believe it will all be fixed.

Let's just put it this way...This phone was shipped with a huge list of bugs that would've probably stopped any other manufacturer from releasing it. Nokia's spin on it was 1. it's not a phone and 2. it's a device meant for enthusiasts. Both of these are BS just like the launch, missing app store etc etc. If you see all these complaints on this forum it's because this phone is a failure for 99% of the users out there. If you're not an 'enthusiast' then stay away from it. It's still a work in progress.

The N900 has more features than the iPhone and Android did when they first came out and more applications. So, that means Apple and the Android manufactures were worse than Nokia by your logic.

Of course Megacrazy is only right if you ignore the polls which show a vast majority of people have no trouble with their phones.

It's like Canada having free health care only if you ignore the taxes.

Tags
more b*tching