Active Topics

Hi,

I'm located at the border of Germany to Switzerland and Austria so my N900 is connecting to other countries' networks quite frequently. As roaming fees for data traffic are quite high: Is there a possibility to tell my N900 that it should only use the 2G/3G internet connection while it's connected to my German network?

Regards,
Britschler

Originally Posted by britschler View Post
Hi,

I'm located at the border of Germany to Switzerland and Austria so my N900 is connecting to other countries' networks quite frequently. As roaming fees for data traffic are quite high: Is there a possibility to tell my N900 that it should only use the 2G/3G internet connection while it's connected to my German network?

Regards,
Britschler
you can tell it to "always prompt for roaming" i think this under settings-phone?

The Following User Says Thank You to Manuel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by britschler View Post
Hi,

Regards,
Britschler
If you go to Settings -> Phone, under Network there is an option for Data Roaming. Set it to "Always Ask"

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following User Says Thank You to bdogg64 For This Useful Post:
Ahh - thank you both for the hint!

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
You should also disable the setting for automatic network search. You should definetly set this to manual. I live near the German border and my phone used to connect to Eplus automatically. When U set it to manual it wont do that.

where can i find these settings ... in settings / internet connections i set:
connect automatically: always ask ...
has connect to wifi when available ... which is great!
but ... i keep disabling the 3G connection ... but still ... it looks like it keeps going 3G

i do a lot of roaming ... so i'm curious how to "control" this ....

Posts: 287 | Thanked: 127 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sweden
Settings > Phone > Network > Data roaming, as described earlier in this thread. Really, you found the thread but didn't read it?

Originally Posted by floffe View Post
Settings > Phone > Network > Data roaming, as described earlier in this thread. Really, you found the thread but didn't read it?
yes ... thank you ... seen that ... but ....
on my home network ... i go an disable the 3g internet connection ... and after a while ... is on again ... because some app or widget needed some update ... even though i disabled the connection in settings

so ... same way ... i could disable the data connection in roaming to discover that some app needed connection and reactivated it

that was my real question

I have got the same experience - disabling 3G doesn't work in all cases.
Email is still updating, unless you swith this off in emails - settings.
And sygic keeps asking for internet connection twice an hour.