Funny as we were in a coffee shop the other day.
My friends happily open their iPhone and HTC and was immediately connect to the Wifi at the coffee shop.

As for me, I couldn't.
It asks to 'push a button on wireless station to initiate easy setup process' on the router that I have no access to.

I found this happening on pretty much 9/10 non-protected Wifi networks.

I believe many of you will have noticed this odd limitation of the N900

Is this a bug?

To check:
1. Find a non-protected Wifi with the Wi-Fi Protected Setup compliant (easy at coffee shops)
2. Use your laptop or a phone with Wifi connectivity and connect to it.

They (the laptop and the other phone) should connect fine, but N900 you will never be able to connect to it.

Last edited by Venomrush; 2009-12-20 at 03:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to Venomrush For This Useful Post:
I've never seen one of those. o.O

Usually the free Wi-Fi services here you just connect to it. No button needed to be pushed on the router. Even the paid ones, you just have to get the key off the receipt or ask a manager for the key.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
I've never seen one of those. o.O

Usually the free Wi-Fi services here you just connect to it. No button needed to be pushed on the router. Even the paid ones, you just have to get the key off the receipt or ask a manager for the key.
Well my friends phone had no problem connecting. It was just a random shop we went to.
Theirs worked, mine N900 didn't -> disappointed.

What does pushing the button on the router do exactly?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Bug Id 5786 is looking for more information about WPS setup which causes this issue.
Can you please share any details which you have for it?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to depu For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by depu View Post
Bug Id 5786 is looking for more information about WPS setup which causes this issue.
Can you please share any details which you have for it?
What sort of information are you looking for?
I'm not setting up the router, I'm the end user wanting to use public available wifi access points which the N900 randomly picks it as WPS setup -> it shouldn't (as other devices are connecting fine to the same access point I try to connect with)

I can also confirm this very annoying problem, and I haven't yet been able to connect to any public network...

Posts: 236 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ NE UK
A workaround is mentioned in the bug page depu gave. Might be worth giving it a try.

From reading that it seems some syslog data from one of the N900s as the connection fails might help progress the fix.

getting this problem as well. can't connect to the free hotspot in the cafeteria at the office, even though with my nokia e71 I can do it no problem.

Posts: 1,656 | Thanked: 1,196 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Alabama, USA
i have this problem if you get it just go to settings > connections and add a new connection it will search for wifi connections and allow you to connect that way

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to andrewfblack For This Useful Post: