Active Topics

Notices

Hang on, I'll try the app manager once more, save the log file again and then try to post it on here. Should take a few minutes to wait for the timeout.

This is taking ages to time out... it's still checking for updates.

Okay, here's the log:

hildon-application-manager 2.2.35-3
E: Failed to fetch https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fr...pps/./Packages Resolving host timed out: downloads.maemo.nokia.com
E: Failed to fetch https://downloads.maemo.nokia.com/fr...mr0/./Packages Resolving host timed out: downloads.maemo.nokia.com
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: facebook-installer 1.0-4+0m5
apt-worker: /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.maemo.nokia.com_fremantle_apps_._Package s
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: dtg-installer 1.0-4+0m5
apt-worker: /var/lib/apt/lists/downloads.maemo.nokia.com_fremantle_apps_._Package s
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: tutorial-home-applet 0.6.14+0m5
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: foreca-installer 1.0+0m5
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: ap-installer 1.0+0m5
apt-worker: Ignoring version from wrong domain: amazon-installer 1.0+0m5

I'm out of ideas. Nameresolving works and then suddenly doesn't work.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikkov For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikkov View Post
I'm out of ideas. Nameresolving works and then suddenly doesn't work.
You've been great going through this with me, thanks.

If someone else has this problem too, this is going to be a great thread to direct them to. Hopefully someone can solve this mystery...

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
You've been great going through this with me, thanks.

If someone else has this problem too, this is going to be a great thread to direct them to. Hopefully someone can solve this mystery...
Well with you additional testing, it seems the issue is with Akami's name servers coming from the public IP address of your Wifi connection.

And please forgive my brain dead idea of getting the nslookup output when DNS look up aren't working. The best your can do is to draw Nokia's attention to it so that they can contact Akami to resolve the issue. The public IP address of your WiFi connection will be needed by help resolve the issue. The problem is definitely not your N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to sljonson For This Useful Post:
I've just set up my Ovi Mail account on the N900, and it too has this same problem: it will log into the Ovi servers through cellular but not wifi. Everything else works perfectly.

Weird.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
as a temporary workaround, you could add the IPs you get over cellular to your /etc/hosts file, so it looks like this:

Code:
127.0.0.1 Nokia-N900-42-11 localhost
93.158.111.27 downloads.maemo.nokia.com
93.158.110.232 downloads.maemo.nokia.com
this way, you force the name resolution for "downloads.maemo.nokia.com" to one of these IPs, and your AppManager should be working properly again.

it's no real solution of course, since those IPs can change any time. in fact, this seems to be a load balancing server cluster, i get completely different IPs for "downloads.maemo.nokia.com".

the whole problem sounds like a DNS problem at akamai's (or your ISP's) end to me... if you try to enable USB Networking, and use it for updating AppManager, does the problem persist? if yes, it's most definitely a server side DNS issue, if not, your WLAN config has a flaw.

guys i've the same problem regarding my nokia applications repository not working along with the Nokia system updates repository.

The thing is though, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to stuff like this so I don't have a clue what to do

Originally Posted by SubCore View Post
as a temporary workaround
I already have a workaround, as I said cellular works fine and I have unlimited cellular data at 3.5G speeds so all I have to do is deactivate Wi-Fi.

What I want to know is why this is a problem at all...