Active Topics

I'm about to get an N800. Was wondering about what kind of SD cards to go for. I'm not too worried about 2GB vs 4GB. 2GB cards is more than enough for me.

Do anyone know if there is a difference on power consumption of MiniSD (with SD adapter) vs SD ? Are there other things to be aware of ? As long as I stay on the 2GB limit ?

One comment I saw was that MiniSD (with SD adapter) can be a little problematic on the external slot, because there apparently is not a push-pull mechanism in the N800.

Any input apreciated.

I wouldn't worry about power consumption. It shouldn't consume any measurable power while just sitting in the slot (I have done battery timing measurements on my Palm with/without SD card inserted), and usually you won't access the card for extended periods of time. Even when you do (I've done that when running read/write speed test programs on my Palm T3) it's not any big battery drain by the card, in fact compared to how wi-fi sucks the battery (and the next big one, but not as bad as wi-fi, is the screen backlight) the card power consumption neglible.

Disclaimer: The above is based on other devices (Sharp and Palm), I haven't received my N800 yet. But I would be surprised if the reality is much different there.

Oh, and if the N800 doesn't have a proper, standard push-to-pop-out-card mechanism then Nokia should be very, very embarrassed of themselves. Unprofessional.

Thx for input. From other experience I agree on the Wi-Fi + backlight. But good to hear anyway. Since I'm going to have these permanent into the N800, I think I'll go for 2x 2GB SD. Although I understand the need for smaller cards for some devices I think the size of the cards are getting ridiculously small, especially microSD

Just as a P.S., for the record I keep a card permanently installed in my T3 (unless I need to swap in another card for some reason), and that's how I intend to use my N800 too when I receive it - even more permanent, as I'll have that second slot for swaps :-)
I don't foresee any battery issues whatsoever with the permanently installed card, I would be extremely surprised if there were any.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ the netherlands
I'm planning to get me a 16GB MicroSD card for my N900.
Anyone knows something about the MicroSD power consumption in the N900?
And does it slow down the software?
any other pros and cons you have found?