Active Topics

Smart phones are old Millenium 2.0 technology. This is very much 2.01
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
i will agree and have been arguing for nokia with its intergration of communications(txt/IM)(cell/voip) that it has raised the bar to a super phone.

but on the other hand it doesnt do exactly what it says on the tin.

i dont need a phone in the traditional sense- if people are not calling the nokia a phone- i also wouldnt call the iphone or android a phone. i would call them all a communication device/mobile companion.

i need something in my pocket that i can email with/ use gps /surf the net/listen to music/watch movies/check my calender/sync my calenderetc/etc.

phone is just one of the functions..

anyone arguing that the nok isnt a phone are arguing that any smartphone(iphone/android/winmo) isnt a phone.

the nokia is not a productice computer, but it is a productive smartphone, but needs to iron out its flaws- as it is a direct competitor to smartphones- not neccesarily netbooks.

Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
the nokia is not a productice computer, but it is a productive smartphone, but needs to iron out its flaws- as it essence it is a direct competitor to smartphones- not neccesarily netbooks.
You weren't around for the Nokia Internet Tablets huh?

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

erm yeah of course - i have allways had archos's and i also had a linux one its great fun. (that was more like the nok internet tanblets), the other archos's were media players- moving towards internet tablets.

since all this the intergration is happening phones to media players- media players to phones- games machines to media players- shall i go on. i have owned hacked psp's that can do computer stuff, my linux archos- then nokia tablets were very niche.and the screen's were never as good as the archos's(but i was very tempted at the time).. the n900 is a smartphone with open source end of story.. you can hack an iphone to do the same stuff as well and i know there isnt one person on these boards that will ever tell me thats a computer.

i suppose the only point that matters is what market is the n900 gonna take most from.

phones or mobile computers(which i suppose 99% will be netbooks rest oqo's and open source internet tablets)

stand alone media players will be dead soon so no point including that

i bet not many will be getting rid or they netbooks for this n900- but the vast majority will be getting rid of there phone for it.

the n900 hasnt yet got to the point where we can jack in our netbook or camera for it, but it is closing the gap- it has just like other devices taking the need for many of us to not need a netbook or camera all the time, and has certainly taken away the need for media players. but then so has other phones- and alot of them have also taken away the need for a portable games console(the n900 isnt there yet)

Last edited by mysticrokks; 2010-01-06 at 02:00.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
@mysticrokks....
and again where is it supposed to be an iphone killer?
because it says "theres a web browser for that"???
sooooo because it has a better web browser it automatically makes it an iphone killer?
so is my laptop an iphone killer?
it has a better web browser as well.......

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertHall For This Useful Post:
robert its basic marketing- its suggestive.

its not saying simply that it has a better web browser its a play on words

theres an app for that

thers a web browser for that

its a direct marketing suggestion against a competitor.

your pc wouldnt use the slogan 'theres a web browser for that' because its not competing against it.

the fact nokia is using it for the n900 means it is competing against the iphone

Last edited by mysticrokks; 2010-01-06 at 02:20.

Yes, it is a phone.

Yes, it is a browser.

Yes, it is an email client.

Yes it is an mp3 player.

Why arw people so incapable of stepping out of 'the box' and understanding that these ultra-mobile computers are capable of being many things at once?

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Miami
@sticrokks. just because a few people beleive its an iphone killer doesnt mean it was set out to be one. Nor was it set out to be a smartphone. yes many people may call it a smartphone but thats not what Nokia wants, they set it out to be an internet tablet which is not even on the same line as the iphone, therefore uncomparable. if it was set out to be a phone, it would have been more obvious. Nokia has said themselves that it will be referred as a tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to waleed786 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
erm yeah of course - i have allways had archos's and i also had a linux one its great fun. (that was more like the nok internet tanblets), the other archos's were media players- moving towards internet tablets.

since all this the intergration is happening phones to media players- media players to phones- games machines to media players- shall i go on. i have owned hacked psp's that can do computer stuff, my linux archos- then nokia tablets were very niche.and the screen's were never as good as the archos's(but i was very tempted at the time).. the n900 is a smartphone with open source end of story.. you can hack an iphone to do the same stuff as well and i know there isnt one person on these boards that will ever tell me thats a computer.

i suppose the only point that matters is what market is the n900 gonna take most from.

phones or mobile computers(which i suppose 99% will be netbooks rest oqo's and open source internet tablets)

stand alone media players will be dead soon so no point including that

i bet not many will be getting rid or they netbooks for this n900- but the vast majority will be getting rid of there phone for it.

the n900 hasnt yet got to the point where we can jack in our netbook or camera for it, but it is closing the gap- it has just like other devices taking the need for many of us to not need a netbook or camera all the time, and has certainly taken away the need for media players. but then so has other phones- and alot of them have also taken away the need for a portable games console(the n900 isnt there yet)
The reason why I asked is because the Nokia Internet Tablets were capable of running everything from KDE (thanks to penguinbait) to EasyDebian (thanks to Qole). This let you run software like OpenOffice, GIMP, etc. I bought the n800 as an iPod Touch competitior (I wanted it to do more than browse the web and play media files at the time) and I wound up using it for things I never thought I would.

Other devices like the iPhone have something like that (a mobile version of Office or Photoshop brushes or whatever it's called) but it's not a full desktop like app. That's the reason why some of us call the Internet Tablets here more computer than phone (also why I think of my N900 more as a tablet than a smartphone). Running a hacked PSP, or other devices, I'm not quite sure they come close to the Nokia Tablets (I've only messed around with a hacked PSP myself) and I heard Archos tablets were infamously hard to crack thanks to Archos themselves.

Granted everyone may not have used their n800 or n810 like that. But the potential was there regardless, the closest thing you'll find to that on another platform is a hacked G1 which also has their own Debian project.

Basically I see it this way Nokia is taking Maemo and it's going from computer towards something like a smartphone and companies like Apple and Google are doing the opposite. Taking smartphones and trying to be computers.

The end result I see them both ending up in the future is a weird hybrid between smartphone and computer. In the end that's where all converging devices are going to wind up, it's just the path they take to get there. But that's also why I don't consider the N900 a smartphone considering it's more on the computer path for me than smartphone path.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
the N900 wasnt ever marketed as an "iphone killer" or even "the next big thing".....(unfortunately) nokia's flagship device is still the N97....
nokia was actually quite amazed at the mass response to the n900....and still keeps quoting that the device isnt "meant for the masses".....

The Following User Says Thank You to RobertHall For This Useful Post:

Tags
communicator, computaphone!, foad abill, its a computer!, its a phone!