Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by verumgero View Post
So here I am in Japan feeling awfully left out over the coming of the N900. I have been doing some searching but I can't seem to find any word on whether or not the N900 is coming to Asian markets. Has anyone here heard anything?
You haven't missed anything. In Japan buy a Sony-Ericsson instead that lets you pay for your metro ticket with your phone.

Originally Posted by hallgreng View Post
i am in okinawa right now [...]
iv tried setting the phone to GSM, 3G, and Dual modes, but nothing gets a rise out of it.
What SIM card are you using?

its an alaskan AT&T 3g-branded SIM.

if i simply have an incompatible SIM, is it possible to get a prepaid plan while im here in japan? last time i tried it was impossible as i wasnt a resident. i suppose i could have a local friend puchase one and allow me to use it, but i would prefer not to burden someone with that.

im hoping that with the large US military presense here in okinawa that they have a way for me to get a SIM when im on the installation -but that is just wishful thinking at this point. i wont know if there is anything like that until monday.

regardless, the n900 is really badass with gjiten and mscim working. my japanese sucks (i only really know enough to impress the pants off a girl [though my accent and kana penmanship are said to be superb]), so gjiten and mscim REALLY come in handy when im looking for a word.

Last edited by hallgreng; 2010-01-09 at 02:34.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
i see no reason why the nok wont work in japan- it has the hardware- its your sim.

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post
i see no reason why the nok wont work in japan- it has the hardware- its your sim.
What is the percentage of Japanese people speaking English or being able to use a device with English keyboard?

Prepaid SIM: http://www.japanmobile.jp/product/229

Disclaimer: never tried that company myself.

If you just want data you can try b-mobile, a per-minute prepaid data-only 3G service. Not sure if the SIM will work in the N900, but I think it would.

Word of caution, I was on the prepaid plan on SoftBank when I was in Japan and had to use the cheap free phone I got with my card because the card wouldn't work on my N95

Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Word of caution, I was on the prepaid plan on SoftBank when I was in Japan and had to use the cheap free phone I got with my card because the card wouldn't work on my N95
Interesting. It seems it is possible to get it to work though:

http://www.nokiausers.net/forum/gene...ank-japan.html

Could it have been a problem with your N95 model not supporting the proper frequency band?

To the OP: rental SoftBank SIM - see last post here http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...m/1137775.html

(apologies as i am drunk right now) well i went to an AU store at Torri Station today (army base) and they said they dirndt sell prepaid sims. the lady said ti would wok if i had a friend with an old SIM -he could re-enable it and loan it to me. not an option. her other idea was to check out the marine base nearby and rent a mobile phone, as they had that service there. iwant to use my n900 and not any old crap phone, so im not doing that either...

sounds lioke i am more or less f*cked unless i get a friend to open a new account solely for myself or i become a resident (nice, but not an option ATM).

anyone have any other ideas i can try while i am here? i will be in tokyo (actually saitama, but whatever) feb 7-mar 7 so i can try other stuff then if necessary.

offtopic: okinawa is f*cking awwesome. anyone been here and seen the 'snake lady' (aka, the 'banana lady')?? thats some crazy sh*t!!

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
What is the percentage of Japanese people speaking English or being able to use a device with English keyboard?
a japanese keyboard has english lletters on it.
typing 'ka' = kana for ka (apologies, i dont havfe japanese input on my work laptop and im too drunk to install them right now).
japanese girlsin bars typed kana on my n900 as easily as i do.