Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 291 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Dec 2009
Originally Posted by YoDude View Post
Merge Nokia and /\/\otorola (cell phone divisions) and they would own every market... Discuss.
Not a bad idea. I think while at it Nokia should buy Palm as well to get a backdoor to NA business market to compete wit BB.

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Well you decided to put a derogatory statement based on my handle so I am supposed to take it how? The posts I replied to were directly mentioning plays on cars names and ending in another. Please don't make a habit of it.
I smell double-standard. How is it derogatory to use your name, but it's whimsical with a brand name? Weren't you the one that started playing with car names? (Don't see where someone else started it.) At any rate, you were doing it so often it seemed perfectly natural to frame you as a grumpy tinkerer. I don't appreciate that you're trying to make me look like I attacked you. Don't make a habit of it, I naturally won't. :P

Edit: Ahha... I see, DaveP1 started it. Bad, DaveP1. Bad! Sorry, Fargus.

Last edited by danramos; 2010-01-16 at 00:04.

Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Bull. It's the exact opposite. Carving up spectrum and allowing virtual, often incompatible monopolies is NOT open by any definition of the word. Neither is allowing consumer-antagonistic policies the carriers depend on.
Nonsense. If the FCC declared that all cell phones would have to use a single standard battery that would not be open but it would foster interoperability and would increase competition in the battery market.

If the FCC declared that cell phones could design their own batteries that would be open but it would mean that your N900 battery could not be used by your Blackberry and your iPhone battery could not be replaced at all.

Don't confuse open as in "open source" with open as in "open markets".

The US regulators decided that they didn't want to choose between the Japanese CDMA and the European GSM so they let the open market choose. The problem is that it hasn't chosen yet and we still have both types of networks.

Originally Posted by OrangeBox View Post
Not a bad idea. I think while at it Nokia should buy Palm as well to get a backdoor to NA business market to compete wit BB.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34452

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I smell double-standard. How is it derogatory to use your name, but it's whimsical with a brand name? Weren't you the one that started playing with car names? (Don't see where someone else started it.) At any rate, you were doing it so often it seemed perfectly natural to frame you as a grumpy tinkerer. I don't appreciate that you're trying to make me look like I attacked you. Don't make a habit of it, I naturally won't. :P

Danramos, takes a big man to 'fess up: we're good.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Nonsense. If the FCC declared that all cell phones would have to use a single standard battery that would not be open but it would foster interoperability and would increase competition in the battery market.

If the FCC declared that cell phones could design their own batteries that would be open but it would mean that your N900 battery could not be used by your Blackberry and your iPhone battery could not be replaced at all.

Don't confuse open as in "open source" with open as in "open markets".

The US regulators decided that they didn't want to choose between the Japanese CDMA and the European GSM so they let the open market choose. The problem is that it hasn't chosen yet and we still have both types of networks.
I'm not confusing anything at all. I certainly understand the whole CDMA-GSM subject, and it has nothing to do with my points.

But if you don't understand why the US cellular market isn't really open at this point, apparently I can't help.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Demonic Acerbic Very Evil Pythonian One

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Fargus View Post
Danramos, takes a big man to 'fess up: we're good.
Make it an acronym of my name and we're truly even.

Originally Posted by DaveP1 View Post
Demonic Acerbic Very Evil Pythonian One
heheh

Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
cos its not good enough for the normal customers.

Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I'm not confusing anything at all. I certainly understand the whole CDMA-GSM subject, and it has nothing to do what my points.

But if you don't understand why the US cellular market isn't really open at this point, apparently I can't help.
Perhaps I don't understand how you would make it more open if you were the FCC. (See P.S.)

1) The FCC has mandated number portability which was the biggest barrier to switching carriers.

2) I can buy an unlocked phone from a third party (like Nokia) and use it on any carrier which supports the radio my phone has.

3) I can choose to sign a contract or pay as I go for services.

I can think of ways to make it benefit me more (like require all carriers to convert to CDMA because I have an EV-DO chip in my UMPC), but I can't think of much that the government should be doing.

P.S. One "open" issue did occur to me and that is market entry. It is true that there are a limited number of carriers who have purchased segments of the spectrum from the government. This was an open process. At the time I worked for MCI and we lost the bid for the first nationwide spectrum allocations to Sprint and AT&T. But once the spectrum was all allocated, the market became an oligarchy. I'm not sure what you could do to change this although I will point out that competition between companies in the oligarchy still exists and does elicit change (e.g. Verizon's recent cuts in the unlimited voice pricing to compete with T-Mobile).

Last edited by DaveP1; 2010-01-16 at 00:47. Reason: Added P.S.