Hi,

I guess this question is mostly related to networking, wasn't sure which topic to post this under... Basically, I often SSH (or SCP) to my N810 for various things (including backing up a few files onto my computer, and pseudo-syncing with a custom PIM database), and it would be nice to be able to set up something to do these things automatically. However, any time I change which wireless network I'm on (ex. each day I go to work), my N810 gets a different IP address (as far as I'm aware, for the network at work, I'm stuck with whatever IP address gets assigned when I connect; I don't think static IP address is an option, and even then the IP address would change between work and home networks). This means that every time I want to SSH, I have to pull out my N810, check the IP address, and type that in manually onto my computer (not very convenient for doing things automatically).

So I'm wondering if there is any way for my computer to automatically figure out which IP address was assigned to my N810? Sounds unlikely to me, but I'm not an expert on networking. I tried searching to see if there was any way to SSH given the MAC address, but that didn't sound promising. An alternative I've considered might be to connect through bluetooth, but that would require always leaving bluetooth on and wasting battery (plus the extra time it would take for me to figure out how to do these things automatically over bluetooth...), so I'd prefer a solution that could be done over WLAN if possible.

Any suggestions? I had a hard time searching the forum for any related threads, but I'd be surprised if nobody's dealt with this problem before...

Thanks in advance for any help! :-)

Depending on the router and network configuration, you may be able to resolve the N810's IP by hostname.

Originally Posted by techdork View Post
Depending on the router and network configuration, you may be able to resolve the N810's IP by hostname.
Is it possible to set up a hostname on an N810 that is the same on every network (or does it have one already that I'm not aware of)? I assumed a hostname was always just associated with a particular IP address on a particular network...

Posts: 794 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ /Canada/Ontario/GTA
1. at home, assign a static IP within your router for the tablet
2. and, I think you can assign a hostname to that IP from your desktop, and then:
Code:
ssh hostname
at work... a little tougher since you don't control things

Originally Posted by EIPI View Post
at work... a little tougher since you don't control things
Yeah, that's sort of the problem... :-\

I guess there is no way to use this?

http://www.dyndns.com/

Originally Posted by arpwatch View Post
I guess there is no way to use this?

http://www.dyndns.com/
I've got ZERO experience with Maemo 4, but on a N900 with Maemo 5 I solved this problem in five minutes

I described it here:

http://maemo-experience.blogspot.com...ns-update.html

Hope that can help.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lbthomsen For This Useful Post:
One trick you can try is setting up Avahi on the tablet, as well as your Linux PC (or Apple Bonjour if you're on Windows). I've configured it so that my tablet can always find my laptop on the address "jerry-laptop.local", and vice versa as "nokia-n800.local", so what I only need to do is "ssh root@nokia-n800.local" whatever IP address the tablet gets.

Found some instructions here:
http://thpmaemo.blogspot.com/2008/11...-on-maemo.html

The Following User Says Thank You to zanglang For This Useful Post:
Awesome, the dyndns.com trick that lbthomsen suggested works great, very clever! The only thing I had to do differently on my N810 was "chmod +x" on the python and scripts. zanglang's suggestion sounds useful as well, though I haven't tried it myself. Thanks everyone! :-)