Active Topics

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
I desperately need a new phone, my tmobile USA contract is way up, I actually need two, one for me and one for my wife. I would love a n900, but I cannot afford to spend $1000 on two phones.

All three of these phones cost $400 and are available on contract for $150 per phone.

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...Samsung-Memoir

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...msung-Behold-2

http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/...-Cliq-Titanium

Has anyone spotted a company selling the n900 on contract for a discount?

You can get the n900 in the UK for as little $0. Do you think there will be some carrier deals in the US in the future?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

No one in the US is carrying it at this time, and I think it's doubtful that anyone will. The N900 also has higher specs than all of those devices, more in line with the DROID (and beyond, with 32GB of internal storage it competes with the iPhone for features.)

I'd look for Newegg or whoever to offer discounts on it.

Buy the N900 for yourself and a used Nokia 1100 for your wife.. just kidding of course. :P My wife was fantastic and bought my N900 for me for Xmas!

You will probably pay more than that for the phones if you get it on contract.

I'm paying $40/mo. for voice and data, 500minutes and unlimited data, on T-Mo. But by adding unlimited calling out with Skype for $3/mo (uses cell phone's # as caller ID), and unlimited "free" texting with Gvoice, I'm basically getting unlimited everything.

Even without the "unlimited" aspect, the $20-$30/mo. savings "on the plan", will make up any difference in discounted price over the first year alone. Let alone what I'd be saving switching from AT&T, with similar minutes.

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
$1000 doesn't sound that bad for TWO N900's. I had to pay 570€ in Finland which is $800+, for just one.

Do you necessarily have to buy two N900's? Can't you just buy something cheaper for your wife and an N900 for yourself? The N900 isn't really a mainstream phone even though the OS is fantastic - the full keyboard is for pro users and geeks. Unless, of course, you weren't planning to buy your wife an N900 in the first place, it's hard to tell because of the way you put it.

Posts: 29 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cincinnati, OH
$529 at mobilecityonline.com. But I believe its around $15 for shipping.

Probably in a couple of months (4-6) yes. With more options coming to the user from Andriod, Bada and even Symbian phones, i guess the price should drop.

For near future, unless TMobile decides to subsidize, its unlikely that we'll see the price drop.

The Following User Says Thank You to depu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
To be clear. No I will not buy something cheaper for my wife. She is not a second class citizen. We both have 810's now, although the last firmware made the batteries in both go crazy. And we both have old crappy phones.

Also I was not comparing these phones to the N900, I was comparing the discount when it is offered by a carrier. And pointing out you can get it for free in the UK with contract.
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
And pointing out you can get it for free in the UK with contract.
But what Nokia (and Google) want you as a consumer to recognize is that "free with contract" is usually *much more* then "unlocked without contract" once you figure in the cost of the plan you are forced to use with the "free" phone. Or at least it's a wash.

If it makes you feel better, put the two phones on a credit card that has no balance. Pay the card off over two years.

For example, $1000 on a card charging 10% interest, costs you $46.14/mo to pay off in 24 months.

If you got yourself an iphone, you're looking at $30+$70+20 for unlimited data/voice/txt, or $120/mo.

Tmobile unlimited everything, Sim Card only:
Even More Plus: $80 (unlimited data/voice/txt) - no contract!

Difference? $40.

Wow, nearly free! Your n900 costs 6.14*24=$147 Cool, it's $50 cheaper then an iPhone 3Gs!

The Following User Says Thank You to schettj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
"You will probably pay more than that for the phones if you get it on contract."

"But what Nokia (and Google) want you as a consumer to recognize is that "free with contract" is usually *much more* then "unlocked without contract" once you figure in the cost of the plan you are forced to use with the "free" phone. Or at least it's a wash.
"

normally the case

but in the uk it works out cheaper

800 mins unlimited data 400 txts on sim only is 20 quid a month- phone 440 quid

on 24 month contract same plan 30 quid a month- phone free

saving of 200 quid