Active Topics

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
cannot believe you guys in the us have such cheap hardware - but such expensive mobile/data plans.

its totally reverse in the uk

i have noticed similar plans are 1.5 times more expensive in the us
but hardware is 1.5 times cheaper

Based on news reports, from years ago, and my European friends, I would guess that plans are cheaper in Europe due to the fact that there are more people on "mobile only" vs. the US.

Plus "over here", most Americans are "all about the deal". All they see is "I get a big discount just for signing a contract...it's cheaper that way".

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
possibly the fact that the US is so much sparser , and europe much denser in terms of population. it must cost more to cover the same amount of people- on the flip side the dollar of course brings your hardware down.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Don't know what fuzzy math you have. If I buy a n900 from Nokia, my service will cost me the same amount per month, than if I buy a phone from the Tmobile discounted.

Either way, the plans cost the same, so I do not see how I will pay more, it just not compute in my scenario?

Now the difference is I will be on contract, an unable to change for 1-2 years.

I just dont see any savings on my plan over buying my own phone, only more expense. ??
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

The 900 "will work" on the T-Mobile (USA) $10/mo "web2go" data plan...whether T-Mo knows you have a smartphone and puts you on the $25/mo data plan is a different story however.

Minutes plans, for contract vs. non-contract are what they are, but $3/mo Skype gives you unlimited PSTN calling to the US/Canada.

There is also a way to get Google voice to make/receive calls for free "without friends/family plans", nor using call back numbers (sipgate+sipsorcery+dialcentral), so the cheapest T-Mo calling plan would be feasible, despite one's calling requirements.

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
The 900 "will work" on the T-Mobile (USA) $10/mo "web2go" data plan...whether T-Mo knows you have a smartphone and puts you on the $25/mo data plan is a different story however.

Minutes plans, for contract vs. non-contract are what they are, but $3/mo Skype gives you unlimited PSTN calling to the US/Canada.

There is also a way to get Google voice to make/receive calls for free "without friends/family plans", nor using call back numbers (sipgate+sipsorcery+dialcentral), so the cheapest T-Mo calling plan would be feasible, despite one's calling requirements.
OK, so your cheaper, means if I steal?
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
OK, so your cheaper, means if I steal?

It means that T-Mobile has poorly worded data plan descriptions on their website, when ordering new service, and "stand-alone SIM" if you are bringing your own phone, and calls to customer service net conflicting responces.

Originally Posted by colnago View Post
It means that T-Mobile has poorly worded data plan descriptions on their website, when ordering new service, and "stand-alone SIM" if you are bringing your own phone, and calls to customer service net conflicting responces.
I plan on using the same plan either way, none of that will help me.

Originally Posted by penguinbait View Post
I just dont see any savings on my plan over buying my own phone, only more expense. ??
Vs buying a subsidized phone on AT&T or Verizon.

i hate how Americans are always complaining about prices, what about us Canadians? We pay nearly like $800 for the device, don't see us complaining like Americans.

^ Didnt mean to attack you directly or insult you, i'm just speaking broad. Not all Americans complain, just like not all Canadians dont complain.