Active Topics

Posts: 125 | Thanked: 35 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aiyaznz View Post
I got an n900 thinking that this is something new and that nokia will have alot of support behind it. But this shows that they were only willing to do things for products that sell very well. I know that nokia 5800 is a very popular phone and hence it got the ovi maps yet n900 doesnt. I know the developers are doing their best but it would be nice to see some decent application from nokia after forking out 860NZD.
Me too......

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
5800 got ovi maps b/c it was a symbian device which ovi maps already run on, not b/c it was popular. if it was about popularity why did it get from day 1?
its took nokia 2 years to get ovi maps to the high standard it currently is on symbian, people who think they can do the same on Maemo in 2 months stop dreaming

Last edited by NvyUs; 2010-01-21 at 10:07.

i guess everyone was prepared to take the risk of delayed upgrades when we bought a phone with a new OS. lets just hope the delay isnt that long ..

N900 owners would be upset if we the owners of a high end "mobile computer" was not able to do something that a cheap Nokia gps enabled phone could do for free. Its just not free voice navi in 74 countries its also free premium content. So I don't think its fair to say people are whiners we guinea pigs rightfully should be upset if they do not plan to bring this to the n900. This is would be a huge selling point and not having it on Maemo will be a very negative thing.

It is however a little premature to assume this isn't coming to n900 anytime soon, it has not been confirmed yet the news is still coming in.

they are two totally different operating systems so saying why do cheap phones get it but not my n900 is plain stupid.
why can i play angry birds on my phone but not my £1000 lap top man i'm sick of this microsoft suck

Originally Posted by aiyaznz View Post
I got an n900 thinking that this is something new and that nokia will have alot of support behind it. But this shows that they were only willing to do things for products that sell very well. I know that nokia 5800 is a very popular phone and hence it got the ovi maps yet n900 doesnt. I know the developers are doing their best but it would be nice to see some decent application from nokia after forking out 860NZD.
It's just that this is a positive news and many didn't expect this to even come out even as it was rumoured yesterday. So now we really got totally free GPS that should be coming to N900. N900 GPS was in every review said to be bad so i really hope not too many have bought it because of that. Hoping it to get better because the HW can do much better there.
How mad do you think people who bought N97 for 700 euros while the N97 mini got this and both are running Symbian.

Maemo 5 is a new thing and it seems to be evolving in a same phase as Android, OSX or faster than WebOS.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by jcompagner View Post
When i buy the N900 i pay for the hardware and os development just as i would if i just buy a laptop or tablet..
First page on maemo webpage. I know that it just lists right those things that it can do from out of box, but it think that you are totally entitled to demand enchantments and better functionality from program that's included with phone. ITS NOT FREE.

Nothing is free. Remember that. Maybe you pay hard cash or by watching advertisements or giving information.

problem is the less you pay for extra software the less likely you are able to upgrade or get new features.

If you buy a laptop with win 7 do you expect that the win 8 is for free?
No i do not expect that. I expect programs that work as they were advertised and if i feel after using them they are not on level what they should be and I feel that i have paid too much and these functions are must have functionalities (Nothing is clear before purchase and some must have features might popup after using it for week) I return device otherwise i keep sending feedback as same time i use and enjoy other fetures of device/program.

Everything just cant be free, maps are very expensive to maintain..
I do care very little how much things actually pay for company. Its their mission to satisfy my need way or another. You paid for maps. Believe me. Everything is calculated to cost they are not stupid.

And i constantly here on these forums that andriod has free maps.. but that isnt the case, android is very expensive.. because you cant have offline maps..
I am going to travel to South Africa this year for 3 weeks.. and i am planning to use navigation there, if i would use android i would be bankrupt when i come home..
This is very true. But i would guess that main market RIGHT now is on areas where people have at least decent 3g/2g connection.

But i think that you have not lost your right to demand better quality for your money if they trick you to think that you got it for free.

And off course market stays open for those companys who sell their navigation system as completely different software.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
they are two totally different operating systems so saying why do cheap phones get it but not my n900 is plain stupid.
why can i play angry birds on my phone but not my £1000 lap top man i'm sick of this microsoft suck
So your saying if Nokia lags on bringing the best content to one of their high end smartphone with an OS they want to build up and compete with other top end OS that its stupid? Im not going to argue wether its going to come to n900 or not but to say that its not a big deal that we shouldnt expect it to come to the n900 is stupid.

we are already told FREE navigation is coming to Maemo.
the thing i'm trying to get at is why are people crying about not getting something today what they never expected to have ever any way.

Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
we are already told FREE navigation is coming to Maemo.
the thing i'm trying to get at is why are people crying about not getting something today what they never expected to have ever any way.
Yes i agree- this is the first time they put maemo with phone functionality delays should expected. This isn't Symbian.