Active Topics

Originally Posted by Diavoli View Post
http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2010/01...ee-navigation/

"the press conference announcing the news this morning, Nokia executive vice president Anssi Vanjoki confirmed that the Nokia N900, which runs Maemo 5, a different operating system to most Nokia smartphones, will eventually support the free turn by turn service too.

“In later dates we will be increasing the number of support for this [sic] and certainly moving forward it will also support Maemo,” he told reporters.

Ansii Vanjoki sure thinks it's coming....
perhaps he means maemo6

The Following User Says Thank You to solpete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ The Netherlands
So we get put down for being early adopters? Not a smart move if you ask me. I believe they did say 'All' Nokia's. I think they should really reconsider the Maemo if they want to keep pushing this platform. These are the apps that have a broad audience. Common sense to do if you ask me..

In short.. i want it too! : )

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
I don't mind waiting for the update to ovi maps.

However, if they never enable this update then quite frankly Nokia are taking the p*** out of us.
We have effectively acted as beta testers for maemo.

I know they have limited resources and symbian is the dominant platform. But is there any way they can enable the community to develop our own version ovi maps. If the product is now free does it matter who writes the software or even release the data files to the community?

Last edited by johnel; 2010-01-21 at 21:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Side question. In one of the Ovi videos released today there is a part where they show some 3d like navigation with model building images. That isn't possible is it? Would be super amazing cool if it is. And if as I suspect it isn't possible yet how many years away are we from such a thing?

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Sydney Australia
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
No, just no.

Sygic is owned by Teleatlas. Teleatlas is Navteq's biggest competitor. Nokia spent 5 billion euros in buying Navteq. They sure as hell won't be doing stuff like that.

Less silly conspiracy theories please.
It is not uncommon for subsidaries of companies to deal with the mother companies competitors - at the end of the day it is about reporting a profit to the mother company and that is that.

Also nokia and sygic having an agreement is by no way a conspiracy theory - it is a business deal, they happen all the time.

OK, sc*ew this sh*t, I'm not going back to symbian as Maemo operation sistems are (and will be) better than symbian... If they will not support maemo, I'll just go to android... what else can I do if they support low end smartphones instead of high end cellphones.....

The Following User Says Thank You to enej5 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
That's not the point, this is Nokia's flagship product, this should be their first priority regardless. If it's not their priority product then it should not be labeled as the flagship product. So far Nokia has not handle this FLAGSHIP product well enough at all, months of several delays, several bugs, and poor support.
THIS IS NOT A FLAGSHIP PRODUCT! Where do you see it pushed as the flagship consumer product?

I mean, bloody hell, do none of you people really research before you buy a product? This was marketed even by the CEO as the first step for Maemo to reach consumer status. I mean, this is just baffling.

There has been NO official recognition as such. The N97 is still at the top of the Nokia smartphone food chain, sorry. I have one right here and the differences between the two are very apparent.

All this griping and moaning about things that would have been apparent to anyone looking at the plethora of reviews specification sheets and official announcements.

Hell, this is the first version of Ovi maps for Maemo... and it does not even have voice-guided navigation out of the box. How do you expect it to be at the same level at a version for a different operating system/platform/chipset that has been in development for years?
Was it impossible? No. But surprising? Not really.

Well.... sadly I must admit that it was an error to by a Nokia N900 Smartphone, if even the producer immediately after release abandons the platform :-(

Guess I will get me a Droid or other Android phone with better camera.

PS: N900 for sale.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ CT, USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of the functionality of Google nav is server side. I'm not sure a port to fremantle is the solution.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
I don't mind waiting for the update to ovi maps.

However, if they never enable this update then quite frankly Nokia are taking the p*** out of us.
We have effectively acted as beta testers for maemo.

I know they have limited resources and symbian is the dominant platform. But is there any way they can enable the community to develop our own version ovi maps. If the product is now free does it matter who writes the software or even release the data files to the community?
Free != opensource.
AFAIK, noone has the source to ovi maps, similar to google maps. Its a closed product which is offered for free by the company that makes them.

Tags
maemo can has?