Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Eugene, Or
Perhaps the OP should invest in a wireless router if he only has gprs?

I would.

The Following User Says Thank You to Clayton For This Useful Post:
yeah, i had an idea of doing that

Posts: 16 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Toronto
I'm an amature when it comes to Linux. And what I've read makes no sence to me...so I'm getting a wireless router later today.

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by dawchiks View Post
well, it's not where it should be
What **exactly** does that mean? Please be exact...

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
N900 is meant to be an online device. Trying to download apps to the PC first makes it quite complicated, plus installing locally available software packages with dpkg cannot and will NOT automatically check for dependencies, so it is very likely that you will run into problems and stuff like "Installing this requires also installing bla1 and bla2 which cannot be found". It's definitely way easier to get network access for the N900 instead.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Hrm.. interesting dilema.

Try "sudo gainroot". If not, try "root".

If that doesn't work you'll need to install the "rootsh" package, which of course you need rootsh to install the package by hand ... like circular logic there..

rootsh should be really small.. you sure you cant use the grps to get just that one package?
dear sir,
i read your post i need to install deb file for voip so i am follwing your instruction, finaely error coming "requested operation requires superuser privilege' and the i read your comment we need to install rootsh pakge can you help me where i get rootsh package can you send link

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by bahadhurs View Post
we need to install rootsh pakge can you help me where i get rootsh package can you send link
it should be available for installation in the app manager on the device, no need to download from a link.

if you don't have it available for installation using the application manager, you need to enable the "Extras" repository (called "maemo.org" repository since the latest firmware).

more info: http://wiki.maemo.org/Root_access#rootsh

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post: