Active Topics

What would be the best filesystem to format a new 16GB microSDHC card to use exclusively in N900? Loose requirements:
  1. It should compatible with N900, auto-mounting if possible
  2. I don't have any need for it to be compatible with Windows boxes. Anything that can be read by Linux is fine.
  3. It should have wear leveling or something to prevent it from going to waste too early.
  4. It should provide good performance
  5. It should provide POSIX-like features: (symlinks, file attributes, etc)

What would be the best option? Ext4 or ext3 without journaling?

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Last edited by soeiro; 2010-01-27 at 12:50. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to soeiro For This Useful Post:
Well since only ext3 is supported by the preinstalled kernel, it becomes the natural choice...

LogFS, nilfs, and btrfs would be interesting from a performance point of view, but none of them work that well, atleast not when I tested them last autumn..

The Following User Says Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,090 | Thanked: 476 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Ingolstadt, Germany
ext3...

... or ext4 WITHOUT extents.
(since with extents it's no longer backward compatible and can not be used as ext3 fs)
so i think that n900 will mount it as ext3 and other unix-OSs as ext4 (with all improvements like online-defragmentation and checksums in journal)

edit: haven't tested it yet, but you could try it... and if it doesn't work reformat as ext3...
and of course... post your experiences here ^^

Last edited by b666m; 2010-01-27 at 00:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to b666m For This Useful Post:
Posts: 26 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
  • It should have wear leveling or something to prevent it from going to waste too early.
You have no control over the wear leveling, SDHC (along with most, if not all, consumer memory cards) does it in the card. Whether this is good or bad is debatable, but you can not influence it. Adding a filesystem on top that implements another layer of effective wear levelling is difficult as that will sit on a moving target and the card vendors have each their own, closely guarded, wear leveling implementations.

ext3 serves me well on all my flash media and before I worry about wearing a medium out (a couple years at least) I generally have bought bigger media or the gadget it was used in got replaced/broke

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
Well since only ext3 is supported by the preinstalled kernel, it becomes the natural choice...

LogFS, nilfs, and btrfs would be interesting from a performance point of view, but none of them work that well, atleast not when I tested them last autumn..
I didn't know that only ext3 was supported...Any way, thanks for the info.

Originally Posted by b666m View Post
ext3...

... or ext4 WITHOUT extents.
(since with extents it's no longer backward compatible and can not be used as ext3 fs)
so i think that n900 will mount it as ext3 and other unix-OSs as ext4 (with all improvements like online-defragmentation and checksums in journal)

edit: haven't tested it yet, but you could try it... and if it doesn't work reformat as ext3...
and of course... post your experiences here ^^
I'm going to try this as soon as the microsdhc chip arrives.