Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sheffield
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2359259,00.asp

Sounds promising on the N900 front.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Digbum13 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sanki View Post
First of all: Hi! I was on the verge of buying the N900, but this morning my brother comes to me and says: "hey something happened with maemo." He doesn't care too much about tech/phones etc so didn't know what really happened. After hearing about Maemo - Moblin merge, I simply do not want to buy it anymore.
Reading through this thread I've found out that MeeGo apps will be ported to the N900 thanks to the community, but it's not fair to let everything to the community.
I cannot understand why Nokia released this product. I thought that it will be upgradeable to Maemo 6, but nobody knows that for sure. Or maybe somebody knows. The Maemo community (that's you guys!) can do a lot with this tablet, but Nokia cannot leave it up to the community.
What should I do? I don't like other devices, I like the N900. I won't use it at its full potential all the time, but I want to know that some functionalities are there. I hope that Nokia won't abandon the N900, but you never know what will happen.
Again: what should I do? Should I buy it or wait until Q2 when Meego should be released? I desperately want (not need, just WANT) a handset right now. I leave it up to you...
And posts like this are the exact reason why the MeeGo page need an entire section devoted to end users.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
But apps have always been the real weakness of this phone. Aside from Firefox, we are not seeing a maemo logo next to the iphone and windows logo on lots of mobile sites. If this new system is seen as having some sort of critical mass, it means that arm-based QT apps will be on the menu for developers. Especially if those apps can be done in a higher level language like Python that will make "porting" (by that I mean recompiling for a new processor) unneccesary. And that may include symbian phones.

In short: If Nokia pushes QT as the primary development system for MeeGo (and even if they don't) I suspect this will lead to MANY more apps available for the N900 than we currently see.
Yes the critical mass is not yet there.. and developers are waiting(i guess) for the device to have a mass appeal before going all out on development. Mass appeal is not there since the semi-geeks here get the feeling that the platform itself is not so stable with news of the maemo6 upgrade possbly not working on the n900.
And now we hear that the platform itself is merging with another.. not exactly the most definitive news for a developer i guess.
See the cycle?

P.S. we have seen people running OSX, Windows 95, and Windows 98 on the N900. I predict that within days of the source code being posted, someone will have MeeGo ported to N900. Drivers for the cameras, accelerometer, phone, and GPS will be a question as to whether it is an experiment or an actual upgrade for the phone.
All these OS's have been on emulators. Porting is probably far more dificult given that none has access to the kernel drives for the n900. And if any userland applications(like the phone and contacts etc) are closed source then we are stuck at the starting block. Not much appeal in load meego without being able to use the device for what it was meant.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
someone should get fired for choosing .rpm over .deb

other than that, i'm cautiosly optimistic with these news. sounds like a plethora of new devices will come out, all compatible with each other.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:
I suppose this is a very good news that MeeGo brings developers together and have focused resource for building Linux based platforms. That's how open source systems work isn't it?

As for the future of N900, I have faith. And we should have faith. Ceasing blames is the first step to fight against winmo and android. The future now lies in our hands. Maemo MeeGo here I come!

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Atlanta, GA + Oxford UK
New Maemo Mascot proposal.

A personified AE logo being squashed by a huge fallen Intel Chip?

Give the AE a sort of Sonic the hedgehog look.

EDIT:
To be seriose this has not changed hat much. Development was already slow due to the lack of understanding of what Maemo6 will be.

We now know it will be a instance of MeeGo. This would indicate that everything we have allready been told about Maemo 6 is going to be the same.

The big issue is that Moblin is rpm and Maemo is deb.

It is most likly wewill be moved to RPM. That will be a pity but we can live with it.

Development for multiple devices will be simplfied. Compilation should be all that is needed to move from one device to another.

That will increase the number of available apps dramatically.

The prospect of Meamo6 working on the N900 is increased as the whole MeeGO platform needs to be cross hardware capable. Therefore any hardware specific elements of Maemo6 will need to be surmountable.

And the very nature of a cross platform OS will requoire the internals to be more open. Meaning if Nokia produces crap support for certain features. MMS etc the community will have more options to create an effective hackers addition.

So over all this should be a good thing for N900 and Maemo device users (assuming they fix mine and give it back) if not for the Maemo Community as a whole.

PS I am sure I saw a pic of a N810 on the MeeGo site. And I can see this providing a new lease of life of old tablets. Maybe time to get my old N810 back out,.

Last edited by HumanPenguin; 2010-02-15 at 16:43.

News from MWC:

Just a backgrounder, I'm a fund manager by profession, and I've asked a number of investment banks to ask Nokia about N900 support in their investor meetings at MWC. (It always helps to have a company think their investors really care about N900 support.) I just got this email back from an analyst:

"Maemo6/MG currently working on N900 hardware. Only hardware issue is multi-touch. Nokia unsure whether to officially support MG on N900, but expects community will step in if they don't.

Lot's of exciting software/apps announcements to come over coming months. Should be fun."

The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to rcs1000 For This Useful Post:
In short: If Nokia pushes QT as the primary development system for MeeGo (and even if they don't) I suspect this will lead to MANY more apps available for the N900 than we currently see.

P.S. we have seen people running OSX, Windows 95, and Windows 98 on the N900. I predict that within days of the source code being posted, someone will have MeeGo ported to N900. Drivers for the cameras, accelerometer, phone, and GPS will be a question as to whether it is an experiment or an actual upgrade for the phone.
I agree, Qt is the key here. Critical mass is, well, critical, and across platforms will be good for app development as well despite different usage models and differences in terms of capability of the hardware.

In a sense it seems to me Intel brings more of their OS and Nokia brings Qt and the developer community and the Maemo interface. At least that's my reading of the media reporting. In that case it's a bit surprising as it seems to me Maemo5 is more finished than Moblin. At least in terms of integration of cams, accelerometers, GPS etc. There are examples on the internet of people installing Moblin 2.x and none of the peripherals work.

Is maemo.org going to be merged meego.com? If yes, when?

Originally Posted by trbs View Post
As far as i know there are none. Basically Maemo Debian style linux is going to be replaced with Moblins Fedora.
Then I'm out of here.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war