Active Topics

Has anyone tried this New Leather Case for Nokia N900 Cover Black Holster sold by "bestsources" at ebay.

For only $10 I was all set to order this one and give it a try untill I read the "Make your battery last longer" wiki that warned against using cases with magnetic clasps. I don't know if this one has a magnet strong enough to trigger the slider on/off actuator or not.

Does anyone know about this particular case? Does the N900 fit well in it? Is the magnet in the clasp strong enough to drain the battery due to constant switching on and off?

Thanks.

OK.

...I'll take that as a NO.

Posts: 1,283 | Thanked: 370 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Florida
It has a Magnet, avoid it like the plague!

It will keep turning ON you N900 and kill the batt.

Put a Battery up to your N900 and see what happens!

Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
I never buy cases with belt clips. Who still uses those?

Originally Posted by les_garten View Post
It has a Magnet, avoid it like the plague!

It will keep turning ON you N900 and kill the batt.

Put a Battery up to your N900 and see what happens!
I read in another post here that the trigger area for the N900 is about 70% over from the left and 60% down in landscape orientation. I confirmed this with the magnet in in another case I have. But when I move a magnet down the center of the device there's no apparent effect. So maybe a case with just one magnetic clasp in the center might be ok.
I'm now considering the B4 EASECASE by WiWayCN at ebay. It's more expensive but looks to be way better quality and has one magnetic clasp in the center.

My only other concern is whether or not there are other undesired effects that a magnet in the center would have on the device.

Originally Posted by maluka View Post

Well, I don't and won't carry a man-purse, I can't wear cargo pants to work, and I don't regularly 'suit-up' giving me a jacket pocket. So a leather belt clip holster works for me. It's not like it's a gaudy fanny pack. It's a practical, safe and convenient yet, if made well, still discrete and nice looking way to keep a device.

Should I throw it in one of my front pants pockets with my keys, pocket knife, etc to get scratched up? Not to mention the difficulty accessing it if sitting. Or maybe I could put it in my back pocket where I may forget and sit on it? Oops broken $500+ device.
Better yet I could always carry it in hand: "Check me out, I'm super-cool-uber-geek with my fancy new device. Oh, and yes, that is a Bluetooth headset always in my ear, the punctuation on how important and connected I am."

Maybe you could enlighten us on how you 'advanced people' carry devices. Then I might not even have to waste my time looking for a holster.

But to answer your question, many people I know and I.

I've been using it for couple of months and have not experience any issues.

Originally Posted by ajamils View Post
I've been using it for couple of months and have not experience any issues.
You've been using the 'bestsources' case without issues?

Have you been able to confirm that there is no shorter battery life using the case as opposed to not using the case? More specifically, have you confirmed that the magnetic field of the case doesn't keep the device active while holstered?

Thanks.

Originally Posted by maluka View Post
uh, only every body!!! but you perhaps. pcket space is precious realistate now a days. especially with pants getting tighter and tighter. those of us who do not want that extrat tight sensation may opt for a carrying case with a belt loop

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by TheJason View Post
Is the magnet in the clasp strong enough to drain the battery due to constant switching on and off?
I am using a vertical Blackberry Bold case with magnet clasp and I have no problems with it. I put the N900 in it with the screen towards my waist to protect the screen against scratches (from e.g. a car safety belt) and to maximize the distance between magnet & screen.

Works perfectly.