Active Topics

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Yes, but that's not what the privacy notice states. It could be worded more accurately ie "registered users" instead of "public".
True. Feel free to file this as a bug report in bugzilla.mozilla.org so it can get fixed.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
True. Feel free to file this as a bug report in bugzilla.mozilla.org so it can get fixed.
Can you at least explain what the Maemo/MeeGo policy is regarding the privacy of Bugzilla account emails - will they in future be visible to non-authenticated users, or not?

The wording of the Bugzilla 3.4 notice is ambiguous because b.m.o. has made an effort in the past to hide emails from non-authenticated users, and this may be non-standard out-of-the-box behaviour hence why the upstream message is inaccurate (in which case filing a bug is pointless, no?)

And depending on your answer, will Bugzilla 3.4 resolve bug 6873?

Thanks.

Posts: 445 | Thanked: 572 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford
It is free software; you're allowed to customise it yourself.

I think the warning is a terrible idea since it will inevitably lead to people setting up new addresses, then ignoring them completely which does no one any good.

Ewan

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Thanks, but no thanks

Not passionate enough about this to:
1) sign up for another account online (that I likely won't ever use again),
2)expose my email address in yet another bugtracker (or use a throwaway one, bad),

Just to address an issue with verbiage in a warning that tells me how I'm exposing my email address? Which might not get changed anyway?

Any one else that already has an account at bugzilla.mozilla.org please feel free to step in and file a bug

There is a vast difference between email addresses exposed in mailing lists, and email addresses exposed on web pages. The latter ones are always harvested by spammers, the former only rarely. Fortunately bugzilla apparently forces you to have an account before you see any email address, but I've always been surprised why it has to expose them in the first place. To see them in the bugzilla emails themselves isn't a big problem. However, I don't see why there's should be some technical reason to expose them on the web page. Even though there's a veneer of protection (=the need for an account) over it.

For the record, I have some email addresses that have been rendered completely useless because they were exposed on the web by some software, I typically get thousands of spam messages a month there. I can't use them anymore. Just pray that you didn't use your primary email address (the one all your friends and colleagues know about) when that happens to you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Fortunately bugzilla apparently forces you to have an account before you see any email address
Unfortunately it seems to be worse than that. Visit https://bugs.maemo.org/votes.cgi?act...ug&bug_id=5357 while not logged onto Bugzilla, for example.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Ops... you're right. Now that is bad, whatever way you look at it. Some simple obfuscation should at least be added (most web-interfaces to mailing lists do that).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Ops... you're right. Now that is bad, whatever way you look at it. Some simple obfuscation should at least be added (most web-interfaces to mailing lists do that).
According to the bug report, that's fixed in the new Bugzilla version.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by craftyguy View Post
What a horrible "official" response to this issue from Nokia. Yes it's an official response because you represent Nokia as an employee.
Discouraging others from participating in debugging your buggy software just because they have privacy issues?? Tisk tisk..
You should probably seek to educate yourself about Andre's actual position before making statements like these. He doesn't actually work for Nokia, he works for maemo.org, nothing he says should ever be interpreted as an official statement from Nokia, since he's not actually an employee.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
For the record, I have some email addresses that have been rendered completely useless because they were exposed on the web by some software, I typically get thousands of spam messages a month there. I can't use them anymore. Just pray that you didn't use your primary email address (the one all your friends and colleagues know about) when that happens to you.
Interestingly enough I have two primary email accounts, one of which has been in use since 2000 and both of which are plastered all of the web. The spam rate on both is less than a message a day.