Active Topics

Wondering if a little revenue stream would be good for maemo and devs.

I got this idea while looking at how many views each thread gets. Certainly we could generate some beer donations or even more, just by allowing one area for an advertisement.

Anyone knowledgable with net advertising that could run numbers?

Anyone with maemo.org rules could speak about the feasability of such implementation?

Any developer that could comment on if this would be attractive?

gogo brainstorm!

Last edited by chemist; 2010-03-25 at 12:22. Reason: status

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Konceptz For This Useful Post:
Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
hmpf? and who decides who gets the beer? make a proper proposal with a problem not suggesting to make this an ad housing ground.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Would it be good idea if we had some advertisement revenues and that money would be directed to app development. E.g. app requests->vote for best requests -> give timeline for competition -> after timeline another vote for best implementation -> give money to winners.

I've seen a few posters here willing to donate or pay for an app's development. So if there was some way to collect money into a fund that would then be awarded to a developer who makes the app that fits the requirements, that would be interesting.

Having it where the people donate after is a bit harder since there's an issue of follow through. e.g. figuring out how the developer wants it (paypal, an amazon gift, etc..). Heck I'm slowly compiling a list of software where I've found they are accepting donations. Just gotta find out how they want them now and find time to go to whatever method and donate.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Q: do all opensource developers want/appreciate financial donation?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
hmpf? and who decides who gets the beer? make a proper proposal with a problem not suggesting to make this an ad housing ground.
Does this mean that adding an ad to maemo.org is against a rule that is already in place? If so I'm sorry because I wasn't able to find it.

@slender: A contest approach sounds like a good idea, but I like Laughing man's suggestion of making it more of a "set requirement to receive donation".

@ysss: This is a great question. I just assumed developers for maemo would enjoy a kickback to get them through the frustration of

I think i imagined a scenario where, people could click on an ad(or just view it) and it would generate some small amount of money for maemo developers.