Active Topics

Well, what does ipod touch run off... n810 runs off linux but... is it still like c++ or something? Anyway, I'm getting an iTouch and will get the new RX-51 (hopefully it may be slightly easier on this as it supposedly will have better processing) In the meantime, I'm gonna learn all this programming. If iTouch is the same, it is probably better to start with it... well, either way, ill have to learn the programming of it and therefore, programming for it will be better to learn it while programming for it...

Anyway, JmJanzen, that is a very good thought... it's similar only, mine kind of combines the two... which is pretty hard to do. Easy enough to break up the bits and then transfer peices to RX-51 or n810 but, to figure out which ones are necessary and break them up in the correct groups is impossible. My idea is this and it's probably impossible:
The computer begins the processing after an app is launched on the IT, it decides what the first screen needs to function in the beginning, processes it a little to make it easier for the IT. Then, it figures out what the responses of the user of the first page could be, processes it like the first page and sends it to the n810. By now, the user has hit a link, the IT sends that information about the link to the computer and the IT processes into the already processed link and dumps all the rest. Then the computer finds the links or responses to the next action... and it goes on.

Simple to say but, as you all have pointed out, impossible to do... well, it would be very hard. I think this would be a great project but, would be kind of pointless if there is no multitouch or accelerometer. Accelerometer we will get with Craves1's project but, multitouc, we will never get. IDK, I think that I'll start off with some basic processing, get to know the itouch and then, figure out all of this when my RX-51 arrives.

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Actually, if you steal the iPhoneOS source code, some smart people could probably compile a OS for the N810. Get those NInJa skillz working for you.

And it was shown that it was possible to run Android and WinCE simultaneously on a tablet via a VM ware product. Search the forum for it...

www.ezschool.com - The best online educational experience.

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by melon gaming View Post
Well, what does ipod touch run off... n810 runs off linux but... is it still like c++ or something? Anyway, I'm getting an iTouch and will get the new RX-51 (hopefully it may be slightly easier on this as it supposedly will have better processing) In the meantime, I'm gonna learn all this programming. If iTouch is the same, it is probably better to start with it... well, either way, ill have to learn the programming of it and therefore, programming for it will be better to learn it while programming for it...

Anyway, JmJanzen, that is a very good thought... it's similar only, mine kind of combines the two... which is pretty hard to do. Easy enough to break up the bits and then transfer peices to RX-51 or n810 but, to figure out which ones are necessary and break them up in the correct groups is impossible. My idea is this and it's probably impossible:
The computer begins the processing after an app is launched on the IT, it decides what the first screen needs to function in the beginning, processes it a little to make it easier for the IT. Then, it figures out what the responses of the user of the first page could be, processes it like the first page and sends it to the n810. By now, the user has hit a link, the IT sends that information about the link to the computer and the IT processes into the already processed link and dumps all the rest. Then the computer finds the links or responses to the next action... and it goes on.

Simple to say but, as you all have pointed out, impossible to do... well, it would be very hard. I think this would be a great project but, would be kind of pointless if there is no multitouch or accelerometer. Accelerometer we will get with Craves1's project but, multitouc, we will never get. IDK, I think that I'll start off with some basic processing, get to know the itouch and then, figure out all of this when my RX-51 arrives.
The device is called iPod touch or iPod Touch. Not iTouch. It is not the name of the device, and the name 'iTouch' makes no sense whatsoever. iPod touch runs same OS as iPhone. Its called 'OSX' or 'iPhoneOS'. What it is? A stripped down embedded version of MacOSX. So if you look up on Wikipedia what MacOSX Leopard 10.5 consists of and then read what OSX aka iPhoneOS runs on you know approx the global characteristics. Basically, a hybrid kernel (XNU, based on Mach) with Darwin (sortof like BSD) and on top of that Cocoa framework (UI & toolkit from MacOSX which got it from Nextstep; the *NIX open source equivelant to this is GNUstep). Configuration of anything from kernel module parameters to config files is almost always done with XML files which has its + and -; at least it is the standard so you learn once how this works, use a XML editor, and for the rest you simply don't have to relearn.

RX-51 has more than twice the horsepower of N8x0 which is great, and it can do hardware 2D/3D rendering. However do not assume that the iPhone and iPod touch stay behind in terms of hardware. Probably, Apple is going to use also Cortex (the PA Semi folks do not work on embedded PPC projects) and the OS will probably use this too so that people upgrade to the newer devices.

But really, you don't start with learning programming the way you do. Again, like I said, you start with small things, for existing projects. For example you make a small Python panel for Maemo. Or a shell script which parses some data. This has been explained to you by various folks in this thread and you still do not appear to adapt your ideas to this harsh fact.

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by allnameswereout View Post
the name 'iTouch' makes no sense whatsoever.
iTouch myself. :-X

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
...But really, you don't start with learning programming the way you do. Again, like I said, you start with small things, for existing projects. For example you make a small Python panel for Maemo. Or a shell script which parses some data. This has been explained to you by various folks in this thread and you still do not appear to adapt your ideas to this harsh fact.
To quote Robin Williams: "Reality. What a concept!"

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
... it figures out what the responses of the user of the first page could be, processes it like the first page and sends it to the n810. By now, the user has hit a link, the IT sends that information about the link to the computer and the IT processes into the already processed link and dumps all the rest. Then the computer finds the links or responses to the next action... and it goes on.
reminds me of pre-fetching. this can give the illusion of really fast web browsing, but only if you sit idly while the browser prepares for your next move. and it's different from your idea, because you're not talking about storing prefetched information on the tablet--although, that would be the way to get the fastest response, it would just take lots of memory. in your scenario, there's still going to be lag because each user action has to be sent to the computer and the computer has to send back appropriate information to the tablet before the tablet responds.

i don't know, melon. i say hit the books, fueled by the prospect of emulating an ipod touch, but you can expect to hit some serious road blocks that you probably won't be able to plow through--ever.

Last edited by jmjanzen; 2009-04-01 at 19:15.

The Following User Says Thank You to jmjanzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
The computer begins the processing after an app is launched on the IT, it decides what the first screen needs to function in the beginning, processes it a little to make it easier for the IT. Then, it figures out what the responses of the user of the first page could be, processes it like the first page and sends it to the n810.
I just hate it when the emulator's branch predictor mistakenly deletes the track I loaded the iPod app to play.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
The device is called iPod touch or iPod Touch. Not iTouch. It is not the name of the device, and the name 'iTouch' makes no sense whatsoever. iPod touch runs same OS as iPhone. Its called 'OSX' or 'iPhoneOS'. What it is? A stripped down embedded version of MacOSX.
If you're going to go off correcting people, you might as well be correct yourself. That'd be "iPhone OS", "OS X" and "Mac OS X".

Thanks for all your thoughts guys, I realise that It'll be a long time before I'll ever am going to be able to program this, I was just getting an idea. For this kind of emulation (looking to the FUTURE) what kind of programming knowledege would be best?

I like the pre-fetching idea brought up by jmjanzen. Yes, there is still going to be major lag times. Perhaps I could go back to the idea of some kind of VNC, just displaying what the computer has processed, using little processor power, using the rest for com. to computer but, it still has major lag times. The idea of 'pre-fetching' was to try and limit this time. Basically, already having something ready and it's just the same as VNC... well, the idea was to tie together the processing power of the two, using the USB. Is there a way that possibly, the n810 could just turn into an extension of the comuter? Like a mouse and screen that the computer is able to use? That would limit lag time... possibly eliminate it. Not VNC but, almost like another device with another driver or something????

Well, any other ideas on reducing lag time? Or the best programming to learn?

old post but melon had some great questions...and nobody should be too big to answer noob questions.

Melon, you're very ambitious, don't let a crew of an old forums turn you off to the computer sciences. this forum is just their playground, literally. don't expect a serious response from all of them.

as far as programming languages go, many code in C, but no matter what language you use, you will need a compiler to compile that code for the target machine (and operating system) that you are programming for. As for the Nokia tablets, you can go the hardcore route and code in C with the development environment set up on a linux box (aka linux computer) or you can code in python, pygame (python libraries for games), lua scripting, Flash (this could get you some GUI functionality like the iphone, minus multi-touch) or Good ol' HTML

as far as forums go, avoid the word "emulation" as in forums its a buzzword that attracts the forum "losers" that just enjoy being pompous and rude toward anyone that they feel isn't part of the "in-crowd" or isn't an ultra PHD, guru, dali lama in linux and computers. which is ironic as many of them probably don't code anything either. they're the peanut gallery.

people like you and I end up contributing more to the community than we take. providing useful information and answering as many questions as we can: the very thing forums are meant to be used for.

Tags
i nominate lowtek for a, tmo razzie. seconds?