Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
So i am here to ask about the 3D-performance of the N900.
The article on Wikipedia says it can do 14Mpoly, does it mean 14 000 000 polys or is this number wrong?
I am planning to make something in 3D, and i would like to know If i then should limit the amount of polys in a scene to around 467 000 polys to get 30 FPS.
Currently i have to tune down some models that are up in 1Mpoly. (Its just the scenes that go that high.)
And also, does any 3D engine for N900 support materials and features in .fbx files or do i have to make them into .obj files along with .mtl files? Is it possible to make real-time shading, bloom and motion blur?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
good luck with your project mate

sorry i cant help but it is great to see someone looking at making use of the on board gpu :-)

i hope a more helpfull user can help you with your questions just thought id pop by and wish you luck etc :-)

what are you thinking mate?? games?? music player visulisations?? 3d applications?? screensavers??

cheers buddy

Well, a game, a 3D Zelda game. I wont spoil any storyline yet as its pretty variable, but i will include some classic Zelda-equipment and familiar things from the Zelda franchise in general. I have been making 3D models of equipment and atm i am making a human face in which i will model all the persons from. I will try to make it a living and breathing world, and try to make it as alive as Twilight Princess.

But i still dont know what programming language to use; i hope to use one that is as native to the platform as it gets, but not assembly. (Then i mean a language both easy to use and that allows pure performance, might be Python that i am looking for, i have seen that it can do great on S60.)

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2010-04-04 at 18:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
That sounds awesome
Can't wait to see it!

Hey, remember that the game only has started texturing some models and made some areas, thats all so far. It will take months before any alpha release at all, and its very uncertain about everything concerning the game.
So dont wait for it untill i get things cleared up, it will be noticed when it has its alpha version.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
M=millions so your calculations are correct. but the real life scenario probably means that the performance is eaten partly by background processes.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, United Kingdom
Imagination Technologies PowerVR series factsheet here http://www.imgtec.com/factsheets/pow...ore_Family.pdf

note min and max ranges for triangles and pixels per sec. suggest you interpret triangles as 50% polygons

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
M=millions so your calculations are correct. but the real life scenario probably means that the performance is eaten partly by background processes.
That tells me that i should keep the maximum terrain at 256x256 vertexes. (Its around 131 000 vertexes in the terrain in total, gives me around 300 000 vertexes left on the scene, but will definitively be occupied fast.)
I will be aiming for a total polycount of around 400 000 to 200 000 vertexes per scene, estimated from around 30 FPS to above 50.
Just some raw calculations for the speed, the faster the better.

Last edited by Nokia 5700; 2010-04-04 at 22:40.

sounds intresting mate keep up the work on this iam sure it will go down great

this is a great place to get help as well

really really good to see someone getting to grips with some gpu love :-)

Posts: 208 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ saint petersburg, fl
could someone use this with the n900? The site says it can run on mobile phones. Maybe the N900 could use this and put all of the other phones to shame.

http://unlimiteddetailtechnology.com/description.html