Active Topics

Originally Posted by Safao View Post
Thank you for your comments guys. i just dont think ur being honest.
You ask for viewpoints then say they're not been honest what exactly do you wish to read?

The phone isn't perfect but then what phone is, also what I might see as good may not be universally applicable, horses for courses as they say.

This IMHO is the best phone out there, the iphone is a fashion item, perhaps the Desire may be better in some respects but even that has missing features that this phone has as standard.

Regrets, none really as I got it for £30/month and it offers a wealth of functionality and configuration that wannabe iphone clones don't.

Hope that's honest enough for you.

Originally Posted by superg05 View Post
I'm having to many problems with meamo 5 and nokias to many over sights this is the first device i have ever had any problems with at all the most ******ing thing being that a soft reset which is suppose to wipe a phone clean fresh slate apps and all does not work on the n900 like every other device all it ended up doing was wiping all the apns make it a phone that can only make phone calls not text or get on the web or make apns using fanp and i have windows 7 so flasher wont work lucky Microsoft is gonna bail my @$$ out with xp mode that im downloading now thank god so annoying and all these problems was cause by a flashlight app this would never happen on android
You know this would never happen on android, really? so you've tested all the 35,000 plus apps on the android platform.

Posts: 44 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Liverpool, UK
Yes I regret it.
I am a Linux/Unix software engineer and I use these OS's in my daily llife. I rarely use Microslop Windblows. So by all accounts I should love this device. But I bought it because I need a smartphone. I have a MacBook Pro so anything I do that requires normal computing work I use that or my ther Ubunto system. The smartphone however should provide itegrated services to my Mac. In particular it should provide a robust fully featured email client that can synch with my Mac for callendar, email, contacts. The n900 provides a somewhat bodged solution that lacks much of the feature I expected in this regard.

But there are lots of other niggly issues with the device that drive me crazy. The fact that I can SSH to my phone is great but it isnt worth the money I paid for it. I will be looking seriously at replacing the n900 with Droid or an iPhone.

In effect I am very dissapointed in the implementation of Maemo for this device. It is way too immature to be released as a working smartphone. It is much less smart than the Blackberry Storm that I gave up for this device (albeit I hated that too).

The Following User Says Thank You to scouser For This Useful Post:
amen my friend!

Originally Posted by Safao View Post
amen my friend!
So you're only looking for responses that express disappointment with the N900 and you think anyone who is satisfied is wrong.

Duly noted.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
sometimes, especially with the commotion about apple os4 lately. actually, i don't really look forward to firmware pr 1.2 all that much. everytime i heard about their os4, i remember even their menu have folder and actual organization ability now, meanwhile we're taking a huge step backwards loosing what advantages we have left over iphone in terms of menus. what else r we going move backward next?

i adopted this device early and i don't mind about it being immature. i just hope some day with my money thrown in, that it will develope and improve, not the other way around. not to mention now that most apps r updated to 1.2 sdk, meanwhile it feels like pr 1.2 is never coming out.. we may as well lose our ability to install apps until when? sometimes i feel cheated.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
I gotta go with sometimes too. But that's after reading too much engadget or something When I actually think about it, I don't see any other phone giving a better using experience.

Some phones excel in some things. iPhone is very smooth for example and it has the apps. That's what it excels in. Other brands have other things.

But what about our N900. It may not excel in many things(there is browsing ofc), but I do think it is the most well rounded phone out there. It may not beat many contenders in what they excel, but it has a lot more capability in other areas, and with MeeGo the future seems bright. At least to me!

The Following User Says Thank You to Brank For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 240 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Wiltshire, UK
Like a lot of us I have been frustrated at the lack of some basic features and functionality on the N900.

That said this amazing device is so versatile that there's a viable alternative or easily downloadable application solution to many shortcomings.

what I really wanted to say was keep the faith;

We all knew the N900 and Maemo was new when we bought it, and we're all big enough to understand the implications of that.

Right now, elsewhere on this site. there's a bunch of very clever guys giving up their time to develop search facilities for N900 calendar and email.

Rather than complain about the decision WE made, perhaps we should direct our energies to support the good people helping to deliver the N900 we all want.

N900 has a lot of potential to grow as a great device. Nokia needs to interact with developers and show them incentives like Apple does. People dont mind paying as long as its worth paying money for. There are a few members here who have thanklessly worked extremely hard to fill in the gaps in n900. Able to modify, overclock, tweak it to the point its exactly how you wanted your device to be; makes it a brilliant choice.

Few areas where novice programmers (or closed source) cant further improvements, nokia needs to step in. Improving email + maps apps, business end of it needs to be more of an E series than N series.

Developers like me want to dive in, but there has to be a clearer platform + future goals from Nokia. Scandanavian approach of staying quite and lack of communication is a huge negative that only Nokia can remedy. Another negative is the use of language that only a few know where Apple uses a language taught to computer engineers everywhere.

Last edited by niqbal; 2010-04-10 at 08:54.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Oulu, Finland
didn't pay for it