Active Topics

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
However, I'm amazed that so many people are updating from Extras-devel continually.
The hysterical warnings about extras-devel have proven unjustified, that's why.

Also, many programs in extras-devel are more or less essential to many of us.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Well, I know of several updates which have caused people problems. If it's so fine, ask the developer to promote those specific applications to reduce the threat aspect.

Smart turning it into an us & them. Anyway, if the app's so essential; and it's obviously proving stable; ask the developer to promote it. All it takes from them is one click!

Well, I know of several updates which have caused people problems. If it's so fine, ask the developer to promote those specific applications to reduce the threat aspect.

Smart turning it into an us & them. Anyway, if the app's so essential; and it's obviously proving stable; ask the developer to promote it. All it takes from them is one click!
do you use extra-devel? if so why?

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
I have it disabled unless I am installing the latest version of one of my packages as a sanity test before promoting to -testing. I don't upgrade any other app as I know how many developers (perhaps not of apps you're using) use it.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
I've around 20 updates,but why the available version and installed version is same???

Process goes:

If you're installing from -devel you are installing stuff that the developer doesn't think is yet suitable for widespread testing.
Actually it could also be that the app wasn't/isn't fully maemo-fied and got demoted back into "-devel" . I know of a couple that that has occured so their is no way to get it except via -devel. I'm willing to live with the non-maemo-fied application.

Besides I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm willing to install things from -devel and "test" them. ;-)

Nathan

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Actually it could also be that the app wasn't/isn't fully maemo-fied and got demoted back into "-devel" . I know of a couple that that has occured so their is no way to get it except via -devel. I'm willing to live with the non-maemo-fied application.

Besides I'm a glutton for punishment. I'm willing to install things from -devel and "test" them. ;-)

Nathan
A lot of us get punished though with "How come "x" stopped working threads". Or worse, from folks bogging down announcement threads for new apps with their weirdness that is unique to them because something they installed from the developer repo is not compatible with the app.

Just sayin'

SLN member # 009

Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Because some developers ignore extra-testing. Maybe there are not that many people actually testing the apps, but for my own, I'm going to try the "if noone's reported an explosion of the handset in the last 2 weeks, it goes into -testing" approach.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post

Thank God for someone speaking this out loud!

I also want to add the install from file "issue".