Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Knowhere
Originally Posted by rachol View Post
So, there are now few things considered for the implementation:

More?
Is this a request for requests?

How about the MAC addresses of any wireless access points in range? Pleease?

http://wiki.maemo.org/Frequently_asked_questions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_N900
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900

Originally Posted by jsomby View Post
Quick hijack about this thread, nobody move for a while! How can i get front cam to take picture from terminal? Can i do it without this program to be installed? Just by ssh to my n900 and then?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Phone_control#GStreamer :-)

The Following User Says Thank You to poussah For This Useful Post:
@Rachol :

If I use auto-reply, IMH doesn't consider SIM change, right?

Couldn't you anyway send email reports, and/or add an option which does auto-reply usually but falls back to a predefined number in case of a sim card change? Or the other way around : a number is set, but a command from another number overrides it and it goes to auto-reply?

My scenario :
I want to be able to use autoreply right after my phone is stolen, or if I loos it somewhere and have to use some friend's phone to find it.

But a thief will most likely ditch the sim card pretty fast, not allowing me to activate reports cause I don't know the new number.

It would then be good if the phone could send reports to my own number (operator deliver replaclement cards pretty quick, or at least mine does), or an other, as I wish, when

I don't know if I'm very clear... what do you think?

Another suggestion : the geolocation icon shows itself when the soft tries to get a location, it could draw unwanted attention from the thief. Could you hide it before locating, and restore it afterwards?

Powatool does this, it allows one to remove statusbar elements (the button in the statusbar menu as well as any associated icons)

Last edited by poussah; 2010-04-23 at 09:45.

Posts: 49 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cape Town
Hi rachol, any suggestions on how I can uninstall the previous version I have installed? I can't access the config screen because of the _ in my config password (this post) and I can't uninstall it because it says 'Unable to uninstall' when I try - I guess I didn't check the uninstall config option. Any advice / help?
Thanks!

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
Great app mate.

Question.
Will the app still work if I have the autolock set?
So if a thief has it and reboots but can't access because they don't have the pin, will the sms still activate the app?

Originally Posted by poussah View Post
@Rachol :

If I use auto-reply, IMH doesn't consider SIM change, right?

Couldn't you anyway send email reports, and/or add an option which does auto-reply usually but falls back to a predefined number in case of a sim card change? Or the other way around : a number is set, but a command from another number overrides it and it goes to auto-reply?

My scenario :
I want to be able to use autoreply right after my phone is stolen, or if I loos it somewhere and have to use some friend's phone to find it.

But a thief will most likely ditch the sim card pretty fast, not allowing me to activate reports cause I don't know the new number.

It would then be good if the phone could send reports to my own number (operator deliver replaclement cards pretty quick, or at least mine does), or an other, as I wish, when

I don't know if I'm very clear... what do you think?

Another suggestion : the geolocation icon shows itself when the soft tries to get a location, it could draw unwanted attention from the thief. Could you hide it before locating, and restore it afterwards?

Powatool does this, it allows one to remove statusbar elements (the button in the statusbar menu as well as any associated icons)
I have no idea if you have installed it, but in the configuration wizard it is stated that auto-reply does not consider sim card change. In that case the specified number is used.

The gps icon.... hmm good idea, I can implement that in future version.

Originally Posted by joelus View Post
Hi rachol, any suggestions on how I can uninstall the previous version I have installed? I can't access the config screen because of the _ in my config password (this post) and I can't uninstall it because it says 'Unable to uninstall' when I try - I guess I didn't check the uninstall config option. Any advice / help?
Thanks!
Hi, I have also replied to you already in 2 of my posts Now is the third coming

Please... be careful and read every text you see in the Configuration Wizard. It will help you to avoid unexpected problems.

BELOW TEXT CONSIDERS THE OLD 0.2 VERSION:

APPLICATION HIDES THE CONFIGURATION FILE IN NOT USUAL PLACES. CURRENT VERSION'S CONFIGURATION FILE IS LOCATED IN NON STANDARD PLACE: /ETC/OMAPCAM/CM4397.ENC.

IF YOU ENCOUNTER PROBLEMS WITH CONFIGURATION AND YOUR APPLICATION DOES NOT FUNCTION AS EXPECTED OR YOU ENTER WRONG: NUMBER, EMAIL. OR YOUR PASSWORDS DONT WORK DELETE ABOVE FILE AND RESTART YOUR PHONE

The Following User Says Thank You to rachol For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shazosbourne View Post
Great app mate.

Question.
Will the app still work if I have the autolock set?
So if a thief has it and reboots but can't access because they don't have the pin, will the sms still activate the app?
No... It cannot activate the app, cause the autolock is started before anything else boots....

However, there is RS("Remote security") application, which allows you to set the lock/unlock code and activate/deactivate it with SMS

You can have both of them installed and it is up to you which application you prefer to use. Notice, that those application can both run in the background.

The Following User Says Thank You to rachol For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rachol View Post
I have no idea if you have installed it, but in the configuration wizard it is stated that auto-reply does not consider sim card change. In that case the specified number is used.

The gps icon.... hmm good idea, I can implement that in future version.
I have installed it and tested extensively, but what do you think of my suggestion to have a mix between default number and auto reply? Not everyone can have another number always available.

Last edited by poussah; 2010-04-23 at 11:22.

Ok, no problem.

Type your own phone number in the receiver and select "auto-reply", the mix already exists.

If you select "auto-reply" you get messages on the phone you sent the start report message from. However in case of SIM change, the receiver's phone number will be used.

If you don't select auto-reply, reports will always go to receiver's phone number.

I think it is exactly the way you want...