Active Topics

Originally Posted by hallgreng View Post
it worked on my n810, and prior to posting this i just installed and tested it on my n900. works great!
1)...2)...3)...4)...5)...6)...7) enjoy kanjipad!
Thanks hallgreng. This gets me closer but:

Code:
Nokia-N900-42-11:/home/user/MyDocs# dpkg -i kanjipad_2.0.0-6_armel.deb 
Selecting previously deselected package kanjipad.
(Reading database ... 27345 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking kanjipad (from kanjipad_2.0.0-6_armel.deb) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kanjipad:
 kanjipad depends on libxinerama1; however:
  Package libxinerama1 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing kanjipad (--install):
 dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
 kanjipad
Where do we get libxinerama1? And how much rootfs space does it require?

hm, thats a shame. i have that lib installed on my n900 already so i didnt think there would be a problem. my apologies!

my n900 shows that package is in the 'extras' repository. you'll have to install libxinerama1 it before hand-jamming the kanjipad package.
presuming you have the 'extras' repo installed (not sure if thats a default repo, cant remember back that far):
Code:
#apt-get install libxinerama1
then kanjipad will either install or complain about another missing dep. if the latter, apt-get install <missing app>
^__^

EDIT:
forgot about the rootfs impact... unknown. the size of the package in the repo is about 1MB so it cant be too bad. that said, i have 36MB/15% free space remaining on my root partition. all these unoptified things add up if you dont pay close enough attention...

Last edited by hallgreng; 2010-04-26 at 06:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to hallgreng For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hallgreng View Post
...kanjipad will either install or complain about another missing dep...
Nope. That did it. I can confirm that the steps described above will install a working copy of kanjipad.

Thanks, hallgreng.

I'm in Kyoto this month (from the U.S.). And I had hoped to be able to report about using a rented SoftBank SIM in the N900.

I had reserved a SIM card with SoftBank to pick up at the airport. But when they saw my N900 they argued hard against my taking the SIM card. Apparently some folks have used SoftBank SIMs in their smart phones and racked up huge data charges without realizing all the data access their phone was doing. Then they complain and ugliness ensues. (The data usage charges are on the high side.)

I should have insisted. (My impression was that they would have allowed me to have the SIM after another passionate warning.) I know my normal data usage is rather low because I have a pay-as-you-go data plan w/ATT in the U.S. and I check my usage charges regularly. But I let them talk me out of it. I ended up with a cell phone instead.

So here's my question as I think about some experimentation in anticipation of my next visit. What harm could I possible do by putting the rented phone's SIM in my N900?

Seems like the worst outcome would be that the cell system recognizes the change and cuts me off even after I put the SIM back in the cell phone. Lesser badness would be that it simply would not work in the N900 (for whatever reason) and I put the SIM back in the cell and all is well.

Is there _a_n_y_ possibility of something horrible happening? (N900 blows up? SoftBank police come knocking?)

Originally Posted by dvergin View Post
So here's my question as I think about some experimentation in anticipation of my next visit. What harm could I possible do by putting the rented phone's SIM in my N900?
As far as I know SoftBank's rules are restrictive about not allowing 3rd party devices on their networks and/or charging ridiculous rates if you use a 3rd party device. They claim to use IMEI information to detect non-SoftBank devices from using their data network. Anecdotal reports seem to indicate they "look the other way" most of the time - but this can change at any time. Personally, I avoid SoftBank data for exactly this reason: too much trouble, too much risk.

For a rented SIM, the worst that could happen is that they claim you were online 24/7 for the whole time you had the SIM and charge you for every second of usage at e.g. 10x the normal rate for using a 3rd party device.

I would recommend the new b-mobileSIM, which is a prepaid 2980 yen SIM card for one month of unlimited data usage: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/sim/detail.html

I haven't tried this myself, but I have tried the older b-mobile 3G 150 hours modem, and used its SIM card in the N900 successfully (see here for the magic command needed to get the n900 to recognize the SIM - reboot after entering the command).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Otaku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
As far as I know SoftBank's rules are restrictive about not allowing 3rd party devices on their networks and/or charging ridiculous rates if you use a 3rd party device. They claim to use IMEI information to detect non-SoftBank devices from using their data network. Anecdotal reports seem to indicate they "look the other way" most of the time - but this can change at any time. Personally, I avoid SoftBank data for exactly this reason: too much trouble, too much risk.
Japanese telecoms, especially the cellular carriers, are frighteningly anal.

I would recommend the new b-mobileSIM, which is a prepaid 2980 yen SIM card for one month of unlimited data usage: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/sim/detail.html

I haven't tried this myself, but I have tried the older b-mobile 3G 150 hours modem, and used its SIM card in the N900 successfully (see here for the magic command needed to get the n900 to recognize the SIM - reboot after entering the command).
Now -that's- cool. ~3000yen for a month of 3G data service. Thanks for posting, I'm going to be there for two weeks in August and even just having data gives me Skype. Any word if the 1 month SIMs are being sold in stores?

Last edited by wmarone; 2010-06-30 at 01:59.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Bethesda, MD
very very interested in kowing where and how to buy one of these sims. i will be in japan in about a week

Originally Posted by Tizbad2k View Post
very very interested in kowing where and how to buy one of these sims. i will be in japan in about a week
The 3000 yen, 1-month SIM is only available from b-mobile's online store, which requires a Japanese mailing address and (likely) a Japanese credit card (if they don't do CoD.)

The next one up is a 6 month card for $140, which can be found at places like Bic Camera. I reeeeeally wish they would sell the 1-month cards in stores

Bumping for update visibility.

I purchased two of the 1 month data cards via www.rinkya.com, which puts a premium of approximately $20 USD (with shipping) on it. The booklet it comes in includes both proxy info ("web accelerator") and APN information.

Other things to note:
- Good for 90 days from purchase
- Last for 30 days from time of activation (which is done by phone, and goes live within 5 minutes.)
- They QoS p2p and video (probably nico-nico and youtube.)
- They'll QoS -you- should you exceed 3 million packets in 3 days.
- Outbound port 25 is blocked.

Doesn't hurt that they're going over NTT's Docomo FOMA network, so it's probably available throughout the country. Will know more next Sunday after I arrive, will try activating the card from the US this coming Friday.

Last bump.

The b-mobile SIM cards work great in the N900, but require you have a Japanese cell phone for easy activation. Once you do, you get at least ~300kbps, which is great for skype and web access.