Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by Creativetone View Post
Is tqhere now MyPaint desktop Icon?... because mine shows
blue ugly thingy.
And I thought I was the only one, I figured that something got screwed up during one of the installs. I down load the source code from mypaint site and looked at what they had, but it turnout I didn"t need it. Since mypaint is optfied (a good thing) we just have make a symbolic link to the image files in the write place. Probably will be fixed soon I'm sure, these are doing a great job.

Here's what I did:
The images are in /home/opt/mypaint/share/icons/hicolor
you'll need the 16, 22, 24, 32, 48 scalabe

They need a sym link in their corresponding folders here /usr/share/icons/hicolor

you will only need to make a link no need to rm and files unless you have the images on the root. Just follow the instructions below, the cmd in blue is the one you really need.

also please note that I did mine with midnight commander ... so take this post with a grain of salt, but it pretty much the same.

From this post
To move and link a folder

* mv <folder> /home/reclaim (observe that the folder doesn't exist)
* ln -s /home/reclaim/<folder>

If you wan't to test moving/linking a different folder than those listed here:
* cp -a <folder> /home/reclaim (observe that the folder doesn't exist)
* mv <folder> <folder>.org
* ln -s /home/reclaim/<folder>

If everything works OK, incl. booting / updating, you may
rm -rf <folder>.org
now you should have working icons again, hopefully. Funny how something like this that has nothing to how the program work nags us..lol. I guess we just it to look good when show it off..

x

Midnight cmdr window when doing symlink from there.
Attached Images

Last edited by xman; 2010-05-11 at 01:23.

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 502 | Thanked: 4,475 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by anders_gud View Post
Hi Tone!
Thanks again for the nice video. I'll look in to the rotation thing:
Code:
def rotate(self, command):
        if   command == 'RotateRight': self.tdw.rotate(+2*math.pi/14)
        elif command == 'RotateLeft' : self.tdw.rotate(-2*math.pi/14)
Eeek! Well I'll ask someone that knows math

The eraser toggle - I noticed you can scale brush and eraser independently and switch back and forth. But you are right - that equal size should be set to default...

Most of MyPaint is written in Python (a very readable high level language) so you can definitely hack at it with very limited experience in programming - there is also a lot of good documentation on the net. The UI code is located in /opt/mypaint/share/mypaint/gui/ (on the n900) - have a look there first.
I have no formal training in CS - I'm an artist (printmaking, painting) and occasional sysadmin and FOSS tyrant at an art school...

Cheers
Anders
Thank you very much for answer, Anders!

I am looking and test this rotate thing.. this is so great if I can custom rotation degree. Now I must find where the "Toggle Eraser Mode" is located in code or something.

The "Toggle Eraser Mode" sounds bit more complicated to change back to the old skool. - And maybe there should be a option to switch between old way and this new separate brush scales for "brush" and "eraser mode".

Originally Posted by harp View Post
I'm no good at math but the equation 2*math.pi/14 translates to 2*180/14 so you can base your math off that.

So it should be 2*math.pi/16 = 22.5 and -2*math.pi/16 = -22.5
Thank you so much, Harp!
I am very very bad at math..

xpsj - nice characters..
santiago - nice doodles

There is harp's nice thread also where you can show your
MyPaint paintings

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...hlight=mypaint

Only thing I am bit worrying is that there is a bit hard to find
proper information about eg "how to install" MyPaint.

I am glad that there is so many helpful people here.
Thanks!

Tone

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Creativetone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Here's what I did:
The images are in /home/opt/mypaint/share/icons/hicolor
you'll need the 16, 22, 24, 32, 48 scalabe

They need a sym link in their corresponding folders here /usr/share/icons/hicolor
Yes, It is this stupid optify thing Nokia insisting on - hampering development... Without even doing it the right way - should be easy as adding /opt to $PATH but no - there is symlinking and strange paths all over the place!
There will be an icon as soon Aapo gets the autobuilder figured out...
Again I'm sorry for the troubles and we're trying to sort things out...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to anders_gud For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
Hello hello

I installed MyPaint today after seeing the video by Creativetone, and wow! I am blown away!

Anyway, is there work being done on the app itself? (Besides packaging) Could perhaps do with some finger scrolling in the selection dialogues. If no-one is working on that, I could perhaps take a look at some point.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by AapoRantalainen View Post
Installing:
There are also key shortcuts that is not usable with N900, so who wants make a new list of default shortcuts (of course everybody can use own set, but I think it would be nice if there are working default set).
I have been using this

which puts the frequently needed things where i need em.

The N900 could use another one or two analogue inputs... Imagine sketching with one hand and using an analogue dpad to continuously control brush size and opacity on the two axes...

Oh yeah... imagination turning into reality. What a glorious universe.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creativetone View Post
I am looking and test this rotate thing.. this is so great if I can custom rotation degree. Now I must find where the "Toggle Eraser Mode" is located in code or something.

The "Toggle Eraser Mode" sounds bit more complicated to change back to the old skool. - And maybe there should be a option to switch between old way and this new separate brush scales for "brush" and "eraser mode".
Look at line 101 in drawwindow.py, there you can set self.eraser_mode_radius_change to 0.

The Following User Says Thank You to bousch For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mece View Post
Anyway, is there work being done on the app itself? (Besides packaging) Could perhaps do with some finger scrolling in the selection dialogues. If no-one is working on that, I could perhaps take a look at some point.
Yes that would be nice!
I'm slowly trying to make the Fremantle UI as feature complete it can be... All contributions are welcome!

Areas I'd like to see improved:
- "Save as" should list .ora .png .jpeg and so on (I don't know if Fremantle supports it)
- There would be nice to have a preview area in the dialogues (that's why I tried to implement them as stackable windows instead of gtk.Dialog)
and so on...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anders_gud For This Useful Post:
hey i just updated mypaint from appmanager .. the update was around 350 k.b and after the update the icon of mypaint turned blue and when i open it loads for about 5 sec and then goes back to desktop please Quick help .. i love this app!

Posts: 133 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Dubai, UAE
having the same issue as shreif, although i just installed not updated !! !

Did I do anything wrong?

Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by shreif View Post
hey i just updated mypaint from appmanager .. the update was around 350 k.b and after the update the icon of mypaint turned blue and when i open it loads for about 5 sec and then goes back to desktop please Quick help .. i love this app!
Best thing to do if you have problems is to run mypaint from terminal - it will print out any errors you have

Code:
(Run xterminal -> Type mypaint -> Press enter)
In my case it dissapears because when copying a previous brush pack in this thread, i copied it as root, doh! therefore mypaint can't access the files.

If you do have problems, do the above and post the errors here
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:

Tags
mypaint, sketching