Active Topics

Hi!

I'd like to install airsnort-ng on my N800, but i get a tarball file (airsnort-ng.tar.tar) instead of an easy .install file. The maemo site didn't give any specific information how to get this application working, but it is compatible with IT OS 2006 (i'm running 2007 with upgrade 4). The site pointed me to a version wich is "under development status"... It's not existing!

I somehow found out that i must use xterm and extract the package with a command.. But what are the commands for this?? When i type <help> it gives me just a bunt of commands that i find unusable to extract a file with... This is my first contact with non-gui Linux (except chntpw) so i'm a bit confused. It's not like DOS althought

Anyway, have anyone tested airsnort on 770 or N800 ? How do i get this working and how do i extract the .tar.tar file?

Thank's in andvance,
yoggi @ gargamels.se

edit: been searching the forums and have seen alot.. don't explain how to install airsnort, just how to extract it and where to learn more about cracking WEP-secured spots, would be grateful. (don't mention google, hate the billions of hits)

Last edited by yoggi; 2007-07-19 at 03:43.

Posts: 186 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Canada
This would be interesting to figure out.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nik1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Canada
Not sure why you've got a .tar.tar instead of just .tar, but the command to unpack tarballs is:

tar xf FILENAME

Like unzipping something in DOS, this'll splat the contents of the archive down wherever you happen to be, so beware -- try it first in /tmp, maybe. Most civilized tarballs create a subdirectory that contains the files.

When you try to run the executable, you'll likely trip over the fact that Unix shells don't usually have the current directory in the $PATH. It's easy enough to work around: just specify the full path, like this:

./FILENAME

...because, as in DOS, . stands for the current directory.

dpkg -i package_name usually gets around compatibility messages. I had to do this or use apt-get a package that isn't compatible to install. I did this with gcc to get it running.