Active Topics

A few days ago I purchased a brand new N900 and already its display has a couple of hairline scratches. I plan to purchase a screen protector asap in order to prevent further damage but I have also looked online for ways to resolve existing scratches.

The first option I came across was to buy a replacement screen. However information on this is scant, such as which component precisely to order, and how to install it. It is also apparently pretty expensive compared to similar products for other devices.

The other option I found was the use of polish to dissolve scratches. While this seems fairly straightforward and inexpensive I would like to know what the risks are of further damage to my device and how much they may outweigh the benefits.

I'd like to hear anyone else's experiences or recommendations. As I've said I've already decided to invest in a screen protector from browsing this forum so theres's no need to recommend that to me again.

Posts: 1,148 | Thanked: 613 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Toronto
Hey there, welcome to tmo

The easiest thing to do is to buy a screen protector to prevent further damage , you can also buy screen replacement but its expansive.

Regarding polishing I would not recommend to do so because its a touchscreen not a regular screen and you are likely to damage it

Cheers

"I'm a N900 user, can I haz Flash 10 plz?!11!?" © Jaffa

Elopocalypse started on 11.02.2011

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by hodoulos View Post
The other option I found was the use of polish to dissolve scratches. While this seems fairly straightforward and inexpensive I would like to know what the risks are of further damage to my device and how much they may outweigh the benefits.
You need to be careful that you're using the correct type of polish or miracle gets-rid-of-scratches fluid if you do this, certain scratch-removal fluids designed for glass/metal will royally screw up some materials, most likely including the screen of your n900.

Not sure where you are, but in the UK at least you can get the screen cover replaced for around £50, including having it actually fitted - Most nokia repair centres should be able to carry this out for you. Alternatively, the actual screen frontage can be bought for between £30-£45, the phone does require disassembly to fit it though.

As for keeping it scratch-free in future, a case is also pretty much a must-have - I've had my device since the beginning of february and I havent had a screen protector on it at all, and the screen is still absolutely perfect - Purely thanks to keeping it in a case when it's not in use.

The Following User Says Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
I bought a case when I got my phone. I suppose sometimes things like this just happen, or maybe I wasn't quite careful enough. Thanks for the help, it just so happens that I live in the UK. The scratches aren't really an issue other than in direct sunlight, but if it somehow gets scratched further or I want to resell it I'll know where to look now. Do you know where I can find a nokia repair centre close to me?

Last edited by hodoulos; 2010-06-03 at 17:47.

Posts: 278 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Do you know where I can find a nokia repair centre close to me?
The locator at the following will show you where your closest one is:

http://www.nokia.co.uk/home/find-a-store/store-locator

Generally speaking your closest repair point is likely to be your local major carphone warehouse store, or independant phone shop.

The Following User Says Thank You to nidO For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
A few days ago I purchased a brand new N900 and already its display has a couple of hairline scratches. I plan to purchase a screen protector asap in order to prevent further damage but I have also looked online for ways to resolve existing scratches.
For truly hairline scratches, the protector may completely conceal them.
It has a jelly-like substance on the back that it sticks to the screen with.
This will conceal small scratches.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpeedEvil For This Useful Post:
Well my phone has scratched even more since I posted that earlier today. Still hairline it seems luckily, but at least I found the cause, most likely a tiny piece of dust on the end of the stylus. Thanks for your help guys, you've been amazingly quick to respond and very informative, no thanks to Nokia their vulnerable screens. Not that I'm holding it against them, I've had very few issues aside from this.

Last edited by hodoulos; 2010-06-03 at 21:41.

i agree with speed evil, once the protector is fitted the scratches probably wont show at all.
i use cheap screen protectors from ebay, 5 for a few quid.

Posts: 70 | Thanked: 410 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Fife, Scotland.
I've _destroyed_ several screen protectors.
First two were with 'blocks' - that I got a bit addicted to - tiny bit of grit gets to the stylus - and ...

Then I went gardening, and managed to put the seccateurs in to the wrong pocket.
Bending up and down a couple of hundred times with them next to sharp steel is bad.

Fortunately, completely OK when removed.

The Following User Says Thank You to SpeedEvil For This Useful Post:
Great, according to my mother Carphone Warehouse is charging £150 to fit a new screen. What a fantastic little scheme, charging £150 for what's basically a piece of plastic.