Active Topics

Posts: 322 | Thanked: 305 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Espoo, Finland
LOL @ that marketing jibberisch about video calls on !WIFI!

Device does look good though.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ India
I am not sure, why cant apple sell it separately? why do they have to lock into carriers?

I think it misses the biggest feature yet - unlocked and untied to AT&T. I would buy it if only it had this feature.

Originally Posted by Rebeldiamond View Post
All carriers have the iphone in England
Hmm.. I didnt think three or t-mobile had, that's interesting..

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Los Angeles
Glad the cat is out of the bag. Still gonna make bank after flipping iPhone4 and buying a Nokia N8.

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Helsinki, Finland
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Right now, I think that more raw power is needed from mobile processors. We haven't seen anything really new in mobile processors (aside from Moorestown, and that comes with a lot of caveats); mostly we have seen software updated.

For example, I am pretty sure a lot of the complaints of Flash being slow or clunky would go away with a speedier CPU/GPU; along the software optimizations that are being done to the software at the moment.
The problem is that the CPU/GPU is the thing that drains the most battery. Now the thing with mobile cloud computing is that you don't need a powerful CPU, you just need to be able to transfer data. Using bandwidth drains the battery a lot less than the CPU on your phone.

This would allow smaller cpu/batteries/etc in phones, making them slimmer/lighter and so on. I'm drooling just thinking about the applications.

The bad thing is though, that you'd need like 4G for some stuff and what about roaming costs in other countries.. But if you live in a 4G area it would be epic. Then take other phone when going somewhere else.

(I am just speculating mostly, but most facts should hold.)

Originally Posted by rcarlos View Post
I am not sure, why cant apple sell it separately? why do they have to lock into carriers?
THIS would be a brilliant idea. They could totally go the Google route but I doubt Jobs wants to sh*t on the relationship with AT&T. I'm guessing it is a loyalty thing since AT&T took a chance on Apple

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
- and rather than shutdown/reboot your phone to replace a dead battery at the end of a long day, you can just plug an external battery pack to continue to work. (or ubiquitous charger availability decreases the necessity...)
Have you actually tried this ? The N900 battery is really, REALLY small compared to any battery pack. I know because I switched a battery pack for 2 backup BL5Js, and they last longer and take up less space in pockets. Plus, with the USB port story, I do not exactly want a battery pack hanging on my N900 any more than necessary.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
The iPhone OS upgrades are more like feature packs. MeeGo is going to be a much bigger change.
But it won't be officially and fully supported by Nokia on the N900.

So... a feature pack on a phone that gets no real support is... sorta bad.

Last edited by gerbick; 2010-06-07 at 19:14. Reason: Corrected a misspell...

Looks like a big time winner, but I waited two hours and no mention of the rumored mac mini refresh.

A few weeks ago, my friend told me he was really disappointed that the iPad didn't have at least a front facing camera and microphone. I didn't think much of it at the time, but now it seems like a glaring oversight.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:

Tags
can you, canitouchuthere, hear me now, iphone 4, itoilet paper, waste of money, waste of time, whining, worstthreadever