Active Topics

With all the N900 bashing that goes on here lately I sometimes find myself thinking maybe I should have bought or buy a Droid phone or God forbid an Iphone.

The N900 shows me there really is no other phone on the market like it.

Tonight while eating out with my family I had to work on a remote server with an issue my tech guys could not handle.
I was able to answer 2 tickets on my support desk, update a ticket that was open to my upstream data centers help desk, IM my technician on duty and discuss the problem with him, VPN into my private networks database grab a servers details from it copy them then paste into a ssh session open a connection to the server upgrade the kernel and reboot the server then monitor a ping until the server was back on line, all those windows open at the same time. And did it all in less 15 minutes.

No other phone form factor on the planet would let me do that.
So yeah it may have issues not the best phone functions in the world, the email client sucks, but as a Internet tablet, hands down it can't be beat.

The Following 49 Users Say Thank You to Techark For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
thats good for you.now you need to learn that 'family time' and 'work time' are two separate things

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by Techark View Post
With all the N900 bashing that goes on here lately I sometimes find myself thinking maybe I should have bought or buy a Droid phone or God forbid an Iphone.

The N900 shows me there really is no other phone on the market like it.

Tonight while eating out with my family I had to work on a remote server with an issue my tech guys could not handle.
I was able to answer 2 tickets on my support desk, update a ticket that was open to my upstream data centers help desk, IM my technician on duty and discuss the problem with him, VPN into my private networks database grab a servers details from it copy them then paste into a ssh session open a connection to the server upgrade the kernel and reboot the server then monitor a ping until the server was back on line, all those windows open at the same time. And did it all in less 15 minutes.

No other phone form factor on the planet would let me do that.
So yeah it may have issues not the best phone functions in the world, the email client sucks, but as a Internet tablet, hands down it can't be beat.
That sounds badass to the nerdiest degree, but what the hell does all that mean...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAABoy For This Useful Post:
Hahahahaha...

ROFL

The Following User Says Thank You to rolan900d For This Useful Post:
haha this is indeed the most useful phone I've ever had in my entire lifespan. I had the same experience as Techark, perhaps I should nickname the device "God's Hand". Even though it lacks certain features which tech savy or end users are looking forward to, it fulfils most of the features which I ever wanted and ever can do on a single multiclassed telephony/all-in-one device.

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany , Thüringen
hi so i guess to grab the server data via vpn from your database and to open the ssh connection to the other server would be possible with another Phone OS that provides the same Applications (its all about VPN and SSH) too. This isnt anything what makes the N900 unique.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Well, if you are a 'nix sysadmin, just doing this stuff with your regular tools IS unique. Also, while android would allow doing all this stuff simultaneously, iOS most certainly would not.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sweden
Yeah I don't quite understand the abshing of the N900. Nokia is really messing things up with OVI and all atm, but I wouldn't trade my N900 for any existing phone/tablet on the market. I don't use it quite the same way as you tho. For me its more about social networking and communicating with people aswell as enjoying media. A few weeks ago I got a wow moment with the N900 when i found myself talking to my sister on skype and at the same time I was sending a mp3 via email to a friend while chatting with him on facebook chat. And during all this, the media player was playing music in the background. 900 FTW!!! Yeah I said it

The Following User Says Thank You to eMiL For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by crown77 View Post
hi so i guess to grab the server data via vpn from your database and to open the ssh connection to the other server would be possible with another Phone OS that provides the same Applications (its all about VPN and SSH) too. This isnt anything what makes the N900 unique.
OP never said the n900 being unique

I wholeheartedly agree with the OP.

No other phone has the same potential that the N900 has.
I'm not a coder, I'm a user. But I'm not scared of pushing to see what the device can actually do.

A month after I got the phone I actually applied for a job via web application.
First off I found the job, filled in the online application form, fired up AbiWord and typed out my covering letter, then edited my CV/Resume using AbiWord. I then switched back to the web and attached both documents to the online application and tapped submit.
A few minutes later I got an email confirming my application with a copy of the application attached.

In my opinion, the bashing is mostly unjustified, and if you ask me, I think it could drive the final nail into the N900s coffin.

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post: