Active Topics

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Here is a ppi calculator:

http://thirdculture.com/joel/shumi/c...e/ppicalc.html

Btw, the toshiba g900 was quite close to iPhone 4's ppi at 310.
Lol, there's an app for everything, right? What if I ask who Pythagoras was, do I get a link to a wiki page?

*facepalm*

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Btw, the toshiba g900 was quite close to iPhone 4's ppi at 310.
The old LG LU1400 still leads at 333ppi, but it never reached U.S. shores.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
this ppi stuff is really kind silly.

i could have a ppi of 900, but it might be on a 1 inch screen, so that is not really a useful all in one metric if you ask me.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post

i could have a ppi of 900, but it might be on a 1 inch screen, so that is not really a useful all in one metric if you ask me.
Aww, you're no fun. Let's go visit some big box stores and you can try to convince people 1080i isn't better than 720p on the 22" TV they're buying for the kitchen. It'll be a laugh.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Aww, you're no fun. Let's go visit some big box stores and you can try to convince people 1080i isn't better than 720p on the 22" TV they're buying for the kitchen. It'll be a laugh.
when dealing with the general public, just use car analogies.

now to think of one to explain to them that their eyes cannot see the difference on their 22 tv....

but i guess if you are salesmen and see someone buying a 1080 22inch tv, you can probably sell him some gold plated monster cables too

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
The old LG LU1400 still leads at 333ppi, but it never reached U.S. shores.
That's insane.

They look like iphones on candybars
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

My take:

ppi: the device looked mediocre aka not bad at all before. The web pages sucked most while the low resolution kept really nice games running cool. Now web pages look great while games can still provide tons of polys at 1/2 resolution while looking decent.
See open TTD at 1/2 resolution on N900 - it hurts the eye really! while on full res it's too small to play.
Although the ppi is OUTRAGEOUS the fact that it's been doubled has this obvious advantage.

camera: nothing apple said is to be believed. But the fact that it's a decent 5 mp camera like on our own N900, that I believe. It won't win any prizes but it gets it's job done. Even comared wit professional camera-phones like N82 (mechanical shutter might I add) the result is not bad.

battery: I was sure it wasn't going to be able to keep up. But, it's 1440 mAh so maybe cycling it (just using it, LiPo should never be over discharged) should bring up the real potential in a few days.

antenna: I'm shocked! they didn't lie. They were actually stupid enough to use it as an antenna. I guess I might not be getting it after all :|

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Cue View Post
gerbick I don't mean to be rude but this was a rather fruitless conversation (no pun intended again). it's not that I don't care you don't buy a phone before seeing it it's just that I don't see the relevance to the comment made about engadget. I already said I don't know whether you are interested in buying from expansys or not but you asked for a place you can buy it now to show that it's easy to get your hands on it and so that it's even easier for engadget. therefore we can get rid of the time/space excuse for engadgets subjectivity towards the iphone. The fact that it's not a bricks and mortar store may be important to you and that is perfectly understandable but my entire point was about engadgets comment to which you said something akin to "here and now only" since then I have been trying to prove that the samsung galaxy s IS here and now and its specs are fully known.

I don't think we disagree with anything here.
Ok, I'm finally awake - was in a 36 hour code and project proposal marathon and the iPhone 4 came and our convo came at the end of it.

We are agreeing on all aspects, and I appreciate the point to Expansys. Finally got a straight forward answer, might end up with one by the end of the week - convinced the office to spring for it with the request of "test our mobile environment".

But I don't consider Expansys a brick and mortar store either. I'm old fashioned. Hold it in my hand, I'm a happy customer.

Engadget has always leaned towards whatever is shiny, shiny and what will bring in the most readers. At the moment, their demographic is 18-35, US based readers... so that means they will lean towards that. Hit up Engadget China and the phones listed there are very different. They're not to blame for targeting their audience in a rather effective manner; expand your gadget blog options.

In fact, the above is one thing that truly offends my senses about folks. If you're from the UK, Spain, Portugal, France, China, Japan, wherever, there's no way in the world that you cannot find local offerings for gadget blogs that cater to your demographic and location. To sit back and blame ad nauseum that Engadget is "always on Apple's side"... find another damn blog to read. I would. I'd never go to some white supremacist (hyperbole example, btw) gadget site. I'm nowhere near their targeted audience.

Okay, that rant aside (not pointed at you Cue, btw at all) looking back. We were saying the same exact darn thing.

Again... I appreciate the antenna, Expansys and discussion. Take care.

And when I get that Galaxy (still convincing the office, I'll know in the morning) I'll report about that too.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post

But that's it. They went 150% over what the N900 got... at the same screen size.

The higher ppi for these 2.8" and smaller screens means it's a very sharp display, but you better have the eyes of a hawk... or a kid.

I'd kill for a 4.13" screen with that kind of ppi density. I'd consider that the comfortable spot for me, really. 3.5" is as small as I'd go for a mobile screen that I'd use for e-mails and web. 2.8", to hell with that. I'm getting old.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Again... I appreciate the antenna, Expansys and discussion. Take care.

Did you find a way to overcome it?

Tags
can you, canitouchuthere, hear me now, iphone 4, itoilet paper, waste of money, waste of time, whining, worstthreadever