Active Topics

I doubt Apple will do a that's it. Apple is very sensitive about its image. It's more likely to do a refund or replacement and blame say manufacturing (if it's an inherent design flaw).

Steve might just say..

"We added a new feature to the iPhone, your going love it, [insert X here]".

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Connecticut, United States
A joke from steve

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/a...re-holding-th/

Now, apple is going to teach people how to hold the phone

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Yeah.

All other phones just reeks of obfuscation and full of 'excuses'.

The iPhone 4 is honest and transparent enough to show its weak point from up front.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
Apparently the users are holding it wrong. Makes me think what went so wrong @ Apple to actually make a product that needs a manual on how to hold the damn thing.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Yeah.

All other phones just reeks of obfuscation and full of 'excuses'.

The iPhone 4 is honest and transparent enough to show its weak point from up front.
Yes...so up front that I think they put a sticker on the box announcing this weak point, and it is featured prominently in its ads! (Really, it was discovered and posted all over the web by users as soon as they got the phone, not announced "transparently" by Apple. You can say all kinds of good things about Apple and get no argument from me, but "transparent" is pretty laugable.)

This flaw does not make the phone into a Pinto that will explode and kill you, but let's not pretend it is a great thing for Apple or some kind of bonus feature to the phone.

And whatever you want to say about Nokia, you get to say it on this site and others. You might have complaints about the phone or its software, but the company doesn't try to keep you from telling others about it or make you sign agreements not to reveal it. Before the N900 came out, I saw pictures, read the specs, read reviews based on actual usage, and even learned about flaws. Anybody who bought the new iPhone today bought it effectively sight-unseen. That's good marketing by Apple, but not the kind of consumer decisions I want to see my kids making.

>> Anybody who bought the new iPhone today bought it effectively sight-unseen. That's good marketing by Apple, but not the kind of consumer decisions I want to see my kids making.

... whats to stop your kids from waiting till the phone comes out so they can go into the store to try before buying.

its not as if waiting a few days is a big deal.

buying sight unseen is a final decision by the consumer regardless of what the company does

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
Yes...so up front that I think they put a sticker on the box announcing this weak point, and it is featured prominently in its ads! (Really, it was discovered and posted all over the web by users as soon as they got the phone, not announced "transparently" by Apple. You can say all kinds of good things about Apple and get no argument from me, but "transparent" is pretty laugable.)

This flaw does not make the phone into a Pinto that will explode and kill you, but let's not pretend it is a great thing for Apple or some kind of bonus feature to the phone.

And whatever you want to say about Nokia, you get to say it on this site and others. You might have complaints about the phone or its software, but the company doesn't try to keep you from telling others about it or make you sign agreements not to reveal it. Before the N900 came out, I saw pictures, read the specs, read reviews based on actual usage, and even learned about flaws. Anybody who bought the new iPhone today bought it effectively sight-unseen. That's good marketing by Apple, but not the kind of consumer decisions I want to see my kids making.
Have a bit more faith in humanity and your brethren.
That post was made in jest.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
2 things...

1. Does FCC have a hand in reviewing something like this?
2. Does the 'bumper' accessory hint at Apple already knowing the issue??
1. Looks like they only test if the thing works and if the power is OK, no actual test with hands and heads around the device.
2. I bet so... Probably found out too late that it was a significant issue, and just started to hand the thing like crazy to make as few people as possible notice it. They wouldn't definitely launch it saying "hey people, here it is. But watch out, we found out too late this antenna idea was stupid..." They just have to pretend it's all OK, must be really hard!

The Following User Says Thank You to nwerneck For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rmerren View Post
Anybody who bought the new iPhone today bought it effectively sight-unseen. That's good marketing by Apple, but not the kind of consumer decisions I want to see my kids making.
Same goes for people who pre-ordered the n900 or any other device that has a pre-order date.

I fail to see your point with this one

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by nicorumiz View Post
this will end up with:

- refund
- free case or bumper
- that's it
- class action (not fit for purpose)

Then again, most Apple fans will just buy the bumper case - I bet very few return it as defective, which it clearly is in terms of design, as the rest of the product is so well designed and works as described (even if it is just reinventing technology that others have been punting unsuccessfully for several years).

In fact, I'm pretty sure Apple are banking on a high level of devotion to get them through this problem with few if any returns/complaints.

I am though kind of confused why Apple neglected to lacquer the steel rim to give it some sort of insulation.

Tags
bestthreadever, form > function, h8'ers gon' h8, isheeps, worstthreadever