Active Topics

Poll: Will this be your last Nokia product?
Poll Options
Will this be your last Nokia product?

Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Doubtful. Actually the N900 is my first Nokia phone, whereas I have already had my last SE. I don't think it's at all unlikely I'll have an HTC at some point, but right now I have my hopes up for Maemo 6, so I think there's a real chance I may have yet another Nokia.

Hopefully one that's not as much of a brick as my N900.
Maemo 6. You'll be waiting a while for that one :P

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by grumps312 View Post
wow amazing the result increased in yes is 230 percent vs no 30-40 percent and maybe 100 percent...
wow amazing statistics!!! let's play with numbers and select the best ones for my own purposes!!!
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

My guess is yes. I've owned all the Nokia Internet Tablets and my last three handsets have been high end Nokia phones. Nokia has done an increasingly piss poor job in recent years of standing behind their products over any reasonable time horizon. Their high end products of late (such as N97 and N900) have been released in a very buggy state with many egregious software bugs and hardware issues (USB charging, camera lens cover, etc) and even when effectively end of lifed haven't felt like mature products to me. Compare this to the much longer meaningful support lifetimes that owners of most Android and Iphone handsets are seeing and the choice on that basis is increasingly clear for me.

I am also very irked at a number of very poor experiences I've personally had with Nokia Care and with rebate fulfillment that seem oft echoed in the experiences of others in these forums.

Nokia needs to stop treating devices as one-off sale's opportunities and create a long term supported platform that will appeal to both users and developers. From what I've seen and read of Meego, it doesn't seem to answer that need. Intel's support of Meego seems to be only as far as it can use it to sell processors. They certainly aren't putting all their eggs in one basket and are backing Android x86 for tablets as well. We also know that the first Nokia device with Meego won't share a unified package system, store, etc. with future devices which makes it an unattractive one-off for developers.

Nokia has a real commitment problem. They are wasting their limited developer muscle in many different directions and aren't producing quality products that I want to buy. Until they do, I am not willing to waste any more of my hard-earned on them. Nokia's next product cycle, whatever it ends up being, is a no-buy for me. 3-4 years down the line, if they have managed to get their act together, I may reconsider.

Posts: 175 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Manchester UK
I've had Nokias since 1997 (loved most of them) but the N900 unfortunately and sadly is likely to be my last Nokia device as Nokia have totally lost the plot with its loyal fans!

I won't be buying the (Sh)iPhone....but will consider Android!

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
The N900 is the reason I will buy another Nokia device. Its looks good, I have dropped several times with no damage, Maemo is speedy, especially at 800 mhz, I love the apps in the repository, was very happy with pr 1.2 and am excited to see this phone getting MeeGo builds already. N900 made me like Nokia.

I have never had any phone other than Nokia. I returned the N97 after 3 days as it is the worst phone in history. N900 I like when it works. Love that you can customize so much.

However, N900 has been my most frustrating phone experience (didn't give the N97 much time to frustrate me). Had all sorts of issues with it freezing, etc. Then my usb port stopped working altogether and Nokia are trying to avoid fixing it.

So really not to keen on Nokia I don't think even though I have been a huge fanboy for over 10 years. I am hoping meego is as customisable as maemo 5 and HTC release an N900 equivalent for meego (hardware keyboard, 32gb internal memory and micro sd slot)

Hi there,

I voted "no" because I like my N900 and my N800. They became good companions while on the road. Be it as MP3 player, ebookreader, and so on. I'm really satisfied with both of them. Might be that I buy a 7'' Tablet as reader but time will tell.

Regards,
Glasswalker

Originally Posted by WhiteIce View Post
I'll definitely support Nokia still as I did for the past few years, their handsets has continued to amaze me even though n97 was kinda of a bumper and their slowness was a letdown. Overall I'm happy with n900's functions and capabilities so that's one of the reason and other reasons like being more resistance to shock damage and such. My family likes Nokia, I've seen and tested windows mobile, iphone, samsung but none of them has lived up to my expectations as much as the n900.
I almost laughed when I saw this.

I've had both the iPhone and Samsung phones, but never Windows Mobile. But as for living up to expectations, the N900 is the king of FAIL.

Here's what I expect from a $500+ phone I buy:

I'll be able to use software to sync my music, videos, pics,etc. (I can't do that because Ovi Suite is a peice of shite) And yes, i've tried Doubletwist and that other one.

The media player should be one step above a play/pause button that doesn't mix up my album art and remembers the playback position of my podcasts and videos

When you switch the OS, at least let me get in on the first version of the new OS so I don't feel like i'm getting hosed.

So yeah, this will be my last Nokia product.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I hope this is my last Nokia product. I want to kick the habit.

So far, I have purchased some old Nokia 1100 or something, a N500 GPS unit, a N800, N810 and two N900s.

But I have become irritated at Nokia's habit of abandoning its last device quicker and quicker.

I'm hoping some unknown manufacturer (like the Q5 and Q7s, perhaps) will come out with something better.

I don't want something from Apple or Microsoft or Intel or Nokia.

Or maybe I want to forget about an elaborate cell phone entirely, just have a primitive small thing and use a bigger tablet or Kindle-sized thing for my fun computing. Yes, I like my Kindle and Amazon hasn't offended me yet. I'm even looking forward to some further step in the world of black and white computing

Originally Posted by techngro View Post
I
Here's what I expect from a $500+ phone I buy:

I'll be able to use software to sync my music, videos, pics,etc. (I can't do that because Ovi Suite is a peice of shite) And yes, i've tried Doubletwist and that other one.

The media player should be one step above a play/pause button that doesn't mix up my album art and remembers the playback position of my podcasts and videos
i agree 100%... media doesnt even have repeat 1 song function....