Active Topics

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Crugath View Post
My apologies. I understand now, I should probably read up on DNG and RAW filetypes more. Anyhow, this problem has now been fixed by the update last night/this morning.

Took this this morning, this is a conversion of the DNG to JPG in Photoshop CS4 with default settings, Adobe Camera Raw is now interpreting the DNG correctly now.

1.4MB image http://www.the-buccaneer.co.uk/image...1279914739.jpg Nice looking thistle in our garden, it's at least 6ft tall!!

EDIT: I forgot to say, I am absolutely amazed by the detail the N900 camera can capture, I don't understand why devices default camera software can't capture images at this quality when the hardware is obviously up to it. They don't have to save it as RAW images (although that is nice) but the JPGs that FCamera also saves are of a completely acceptable quality. Or is it that FCam and FCamera are pioneers in camera software?
you were right though with wrong colours. but in general with raw you don't need to set white balance and you can adjust exposure about +-2EV afterwards.(+-1EV doesn't affect color loss at least with dslrs because of their headroom especially in white end)

with jpeg the unneeded colour data from wb settings is discarded and headroom too.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

Posts: 356 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Try normal (non-macro) shots. You will quickly discover that whatever magic is applied, you cannot improve on the shitty optics and sensor.
I certainly plan to experiment with every type of shooting condition I can.

But shitty by what standard? I mean.. Schneider glass or a Phase One back, then sure.. it's a huge piece of noisy blurry ****.

But I've not encountered better optics on a cellphone ever, and the sensor performs very well for one of its size, IMO. With a bit of care, the N900 can produce some very fine photos indeed.

I don't know if this is a bad question to ask, but when will this support the Titan Kernel? Looking forward to using RAW! :-)

oops. Found the other thread. Never mind.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by fms View Post
Try normal (non-macro) shots. You will quickly discover that whatever magic is applied, you cannot improve on the shitty optics and sensor.
it isn't magic. you need at least 5kg of equipment if you want to try beating macro shots taken with smaller sensors. and then diffraction probably eats every single extra detail and n900& 5kg(read: 5k eur) of dslr equipment are equal..

it is only how optics function. a bit like motorbike accelerates faster than a lorry.
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

I'm finding my images are coming out excessively grainy. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with fCamera or the API, it's more than likely the way I'm using it. Not done any serious tinkering with photography for years.

The potential for close ups is phenomenal, as these two images show:

Image with N900 default cam.

Image with fCamera.

Both images were taken at a distance of around 5cm from the subject.

Anyone have any ideas?

Originally Posted by ossipena View Post
it isn't magic. you need at least 5kg of equipment if you want to try beating macro shots taken with smaller sensors. and then diffraction probably eats every single extra detail and n900& 5kg(read: 5k eur) of dslr equipment are equal
Nice explanation. Does not take into account the fact that most real-life shots are not made on macro.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I have tried to open the dng images with some linux applications from ubuntu repositories.
Ufraw crashes on any dmg.
Rawstudio shows a blurred, red image of something and can't convert it in anything useful with any button or control.

Can you suggest me the right tool? Thanks

EDIT: no image tool on ubuntu repos could open those files. Neither gimp, which outputs some interesting messages:

/home/debernardis/Immagini/photo2010.06.24_15.00.19.10.dng: Can not read TIFF directory count

/home/debernardis/Immagini/photo2010.06.24_15.00.19.10.dng: Failed to read directory at offset 0

before stating that the rawphoto plugin can't open the image.

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-07-24 at 13:31.

ok.. thanks for the info... but i dont understand it... so what does this tool (Fcamera) actually do?! There are some noobs who have N900s ...

Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I have tried to open the dng images with some linux applications from ubuntu repositories.
Ufraw crashes on any dmg.
Same here except I'm using ufraw 0.17 from here https://launchpad.net/~pmjdebruijn/+archive/ppa.
Strange - ufraw/cdraw has DNG support...

FCam is fantastic otherwise - at last I get decent exposures (default camera app turns up gain needlessly)