Active Topics

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Philly USA
No, I love nokia and meego looks awesome but I will wait for the device to come out. After dealing with the n900 release, I will wait.

The Following User Says Thank You to roguespy0 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
The service from Nokia is as good as anyone elses. Some people try to say different.. but that is the truth.
Here's where objectivity kicks in for sure: even as a former employee I can't defend Nokia's service. It may be as good as some, but it's not even close to best. Their forward logistics are awesome. Reverse logistics, especially for end users, fail miserably.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 604 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Phoenix, WA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Here's where objectivity kicks in for sure: even as a former employee I can't defend Nokia's service. It may be as good as some, but it's not even close to best. Their forward logistics are awesome. Reverse logistics, especially for end users, fail miserably.
uve mentioend fail reverse logistics before... do you mind explaining what the heck that means? :P

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by SAABoy View Post
uve mentioend fail reverse logistics before... do you mind explaining what the heck that means? :P
Google says this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_logistics

But in a broader sense, return/repair operations can also be included.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
No. (PERIOD)

Posts: 297 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ new jersey, usa
sure will.

The only valid alternative to Nokia is iphone.
But in Europe Apple sells iphone at exaggerate and unrealistic prices. For example in my country the iphone 4 32 GB's price is € 779 that is equivalent to $ 779 x 1,3 = $ 1012.
I hope that next Meego devices will be cheaper.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
It all depends how Nokia approach the OS.

With PR1.2 maemo became a stable OS, a well understood system and could have been a stable OS for other Nokia products.

Instead Nokia are going to abandon it and start the whole process again with MeeGo. All the time, effort and money spent on maemo have been wasted!

I love Nokia products hardware-wise but I am a little dubious about long-term support (software-wise).

From a hardware point of view I would buy Nokia again but software-wise and support not a chance.

I will have the n900 (very happy with it) for the next 2 or 3 years and will wait and see how Nokia perform.
again meego is not a full new os its still linux at the end. They drop hildon_desktop yes, but the core os is the same as today. also they did abandon hildon long before meego project started this was because they decided to use QT instead and that is a good decision in the long run, ofcourse gtk developers dislike this, but for the enduser and Nokia its right direction.

Why cant people understand this? when it has been discussed over andd over again.

and also who has said N900 will not be supported? its true we dont get meego core but alot of the QT apps in meego and symbian will probadly be backported both by nokia and the community.

Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
The idea with the n900 was to leave it open for the community to hack/develop. And that is also what have happened.. Though Nokia have helped too they could throw in some more candies for us to use. Like open up some closed sourced drivers.

The service from Nokia is as good as anyone elses. Some people try to say different.. but that is the truth.
I hasn't happened. Community can't fix closed source applications.
N900 is closed, don't be so naive.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Well I need new secondary backup/binge drinking/etc -phone as the old is getting old indeed. S30/S40 still totally rule in the <100€ price point, so there's one definite Nokia purchase.

As far as my next smartphone is concerned, my answer would be maybe. I had kind of decided to not go anywhere near Symbian until S^4, but I sort of like what I've seen on previews and will at least give S^3 decent amount of in shop test time. For next Meego/Harmattan-device I would really need a solid promise from Nokia that the science project and "step x out of y" stuff is over, and Meego/Harmattan will receive same level of support as their other platforms.

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!