Active Topics

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
I would if the device is a capacitive Meego with 1.2Ghz or dual core A9 cpu + gpu and atleast 756MB RAM (not swap), and 12MP camera + optical zoom, xeon flash and 32GB memory

Oh must have keyboard and slim. Front facing camera have to be 2MP, Wireless N support, HDMi, usb OTG good battery life, atleast 3.5" LCD. 1080p play back and capture

Then I will buy it on the release date!!
Anything else o_O?

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pantera1989 View Post
Anything else o_O?
He forgot working software. And if device will be made by Nokia...

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
I would if the device is a capacitive Meego
Meego is alpha.

with 1.2Ghz
N900 has been known to run 1150.

and atleast 756MB RAM (not swap)
I guess that if you build it, they will come. For now, did you run out of RAM? I lowered swappiness because I got tired of having 50 percent free. I don't need that much disk cache.

and 12MP camera
I wish you understood imaging. You need glass. Megapixel without optics is like a Porsche with an 1.2 liter diesel under the hood. Good marketing. Get a fork and a napkin, because you are about to eat a lot of dust.

Ask for a CCD if you must.

optical zoom, xeon flash and 32GB memory
Zoom optics in a slim phone. Great, what do you think will need sacrificing?

Xe(n)on flash? What for? You can get a bad, grainy image at 3 meters instead of 2.5?

Front facing camera have to be 2MP
Why? No protocol wants such a feed. You'll have to scale down, with considerable overhead. Also, no optics. Zero.

Really now, it was funny and all, but am I the only one growing tired of this spec dark shots game where people want stuff they'll get bored of or never use 5 minutes in?

Hm. You know, you also forgot GPS, FM tx and rx, compass, OS and other stuff that you actually, really use.

But hey, my megapixel sticker is bigger than yours, right?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Last edited by ndi; 2010-07-30 at 20:47. Reason: Fixed quote tags

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
I will probably get a MeeGo slate if someone produces one.

And MeeGo phone, but not from Nokia.
If no other (than Nokia) manufacturer will produce MeeGo phones, I will just skip it and stay with slate + some nice real phone.

As for Harmattan I have completely lost interest in the upcoming device. Well... Maybe as a source for components transplantable to my N900. But I am definitely not going to buy it.

Last edited by smoku; 2010-07-30 at 10:03.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:
Of course, i will.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
it was announced that Maemo will be discontinued, MeeGo will be the next. MeeGo will not be supported on the N900 by Nokia, and by late June 2010 the first MeeGo (with UI) was available (development of Maemo stopped). MeeGo is incompatible with Maemo, and the N900 is hardly compatible with MeeGo due to multi-touch and different screen.
Hang on, this is not quite how things are.

First of all, there will be a Maemo 6 product so it's not discontinued just yet. Yes, Maemo 6, the just decided not to call it Maemo, it will be .deb based, with closed components and all, just the way Maemo is/was, for better or worse. This also means development has not stopped on Maemo - the Fremantle might be in support mode, but Maemo is a different story.

Second, there is this (very badly handled PR wise) support question. What exactly do we want ? The first (not just rebranded) MeeGo handset from Nokia will likely be released well into 2011, so they did not want to commit backporting to a by-then-outdated hardware platform. Really, it's WAY in the future. The real question is if the N9 will get MeeGo.

Third. I see there is still confusion as to what MeeGo is. MeeGo as such couldn't care less if you have multitouch, 4 or 10" screen, or resistive vs capacitive, nixie tubes or whatnot - it's a matter or vendor UX, completely independent from MeeGo (does the netbook edition of MeeGo require multitouch ?).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Third. I see there is still confusion as to what MeeGo is. MeeGo as such couldn't care less if you have multitouch, 4 or 10" screen, or resistive vs capacitive, nixie tubes or whatnot - it's a matter or vendor UX, completely independent from MeeGo (does the netbook edition of MeeGo require multitouch ?).
This is purely academic. MeeGo netbook UX and handset UX are two completely different things, not a single byte in common. Yes, they both run the same kernel, but what is that supposed to mean when the hardware is apples and oranges? Linux runs on just about anything in any case, it is "only" a matter of porting it.

I'm not sure what Maemo6 and N9 you are talking about. Care to elaborate some more?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bsving View Post
This is purely academic. MeeGo netbook UX and handset UX are two completely different things, not a single byte in common. Yes, they both run the same kernel, but what is that supposed to mean when the hardware is apples and oranges?
The point is that in general, the MeeGo handset UX does NOT *require* multitouch or a capacitive display (while the *Harmattan* UX specifically made for the N9 is said to rely on it, making backporting difficult). Morale: handset UX =/= harmattan UX

I'm not sure what Maemo6 and N9 you are talking about. Care to elaborate some more?
Maemo 6 (codename Harmattan) is the next version of Maemo, which is going to power the next Nseries device and N97/N900 successor - most likely to be called N9 - expected in late 2010. The marketing department decided that in light of the MeeGo announcement, the Maemo name is just not cool any more, so it lost the Maemo moniker and currently has the *provisional* name of MeeGo-Harmattan. Harmattan will implement the MeeGo APIs so it will be a bridge/transitional release between ye olde Maemo and MeeGo (what every sane marketing person will deny as nobody likes transitional releases).

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by smoku View Post
I will probably get a MeeGo slate if someone produces one.

And MeeGo phone, but not from Nokia.
If no other (than Nokia) manufacturer will produce MeeGo phones, I will just skip it and stay with slate + some nice real phone.

As for Harmattan I have completely lost interest in the upcoming device. Well... Maybe as a source for components transplantable to my N900. But I am definitely not going to buy it.
Exactly what I plan to do. Meego tablet interface looks amazing and will definitely be getting it. Do not like what I have seen of handset interface but will go for it if someone like HTC makes one. Otherwise it is android for me. But I am really hoping (if it is possible) that someone makes a 4 or 5 inch screen phone with the tablet interface (preferably somone other than Nokia).

Posts: 1,716 | Thanked: 3,007 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
But I am really hoping (if it is possible) that someone makes a 4 or 5 inch screen phone with the tablet interface (preferably somone other than Nokia).
IIRC Dell had already shown one.
If it's not too heavy and has GSM built-in, and runs real Linux I would consider having one in place of N900.

I receive calls so infrequently, that answering it using so awkward-sized phone would be bearable.

Edit:
Dell Streak. See http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=33251 and http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/d...and-wifi-vide/

Last edited by smoku; 2010-07-30 at 10:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to smoku For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!