Closed Thread
I think that who banned you was right.
I always take the part of whom has the power because of opportunity reasons.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by frostbyte View Post
Gary, it's unfortunate your experience with the N900 was short-lived and marred with disappointments. But, if I may ask, what did you buy the phone for? Did you use it for programming/devel or just to make the two phone calls?

I'm on the n00b-end of the spectrum, eagerly learning about Linux/Debian both on and off the mobile market and I have to say my 4 mos with the N900 have been a quite opposite to your experience. I can't count the hours I've spent hacking the phone; read: fun! Yes, I made a few phone calls also.

Frankly, I don't think I'll ever go back to a "smartphone." As long as there is Maemo/Meego or any other open source mobile OS, I'll be using it.

About Android's open source: Andreas Constantinou, research director at VisionMobile, paraphrasing Henry Ford, saying, "anyone can have Android in their own colour as long as it’s black."
" I can't count the hours I've spent hacking the phone"

.................................................. .........

But what if I want to make a simple phone call, I drive a BMW 635i but my n900 wont show transfer contacts over iDrive......

so what your suggesting is when I get a VITAL business call that may be worth £20k I should

a) Hang up on the caller
b) Use my 900 while driving and kill myself
c) hack the phone while driving, and hack it so the blutooth stack can communicate with my iDrive the SAME way mt £50 NOKIA can

as I posted before I really do *laugh* at these "linux experts", they have NEVER wrote a line of code in their life, they dont know what CPU registers are, but yet they *hack* their n900 ie editing a text file........................

If I had my way **** X, a simple terminal on boot and use the hayes modem commands to make/recieve phone calls......

only dicks need gnome/kde etc...............

hahahh tell me again how you have "hacked" the n900 please.......................did you get a hardware address map and hack the OS to write directly to the hardware ?????? Id love to know your definition of "hacking the n900"....................

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by deed View Post
hi Gary!

haven been here for long, but lurkin around since nov 2009, since I got my N900, I must say that if some of your points are true (nokia loosing head, missing the train, this board abandoned buy heavy and reliable posters, not all thus...) I disagree totally with your thought concerning the n900:
I'm a mid 40's, being around computers since... well always ;-), a Linux user and supporter since the early beginning, and a *nix environment worker. I'm not a heavy "phone" user but I can do with my N900 all that I need, I can say truthfully that I don't use my laptop anymore, it is covered with dust! In that sense, I can say that with this "mobile" Nokia gave us a present, and with the effort and the time of all the talented community, the geeky tweaks and fine tunes done, this is (at least for me and for now) an unbeatable device. It sure lacks many things, and we could argue a life time of what is perfect, what should be and what will be, but the same goes for everything, and even for everyone...
I hope you'll find your way with your decision, but I just wanted to let people know that the N900 is a beautiful and useful device that for now nothing can replace.
Your personal description just about describes me, except in my upper 30's, but I entirely disagree with your flowery attitude about the N900.

So, now what?

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by garyc2010 View Post
well as a software developer, I would argue you are talking out of your arse, what are the chances that that EA of porting need for speed to the N900 ???? in the meantime you will have to put up with this http://www.my-maemo.com/software/app...5&fldAuto=1095

Rather you than me................

"-type of posts written under the influence of adrenalin"

Not sure waht you meant my friend.......but alot of people here dont seem to get the bigger picture.........reminds me of the girl (not being sexist btw scientifically proven...can dig out links) driving a formula 1 car and she said "its kinda hard to see the road over these big front wheels......................."
I don't really see what this has anything to do with what I wrote. I propably agree with most of your criticism.

What I was trying to say was that most of what you wrote in OP is constantly dicussed here. So your confrontational stance is silly.

And no EA propably won't release any games on Maemo. Why you quote my post for saying this is totally bizarre.

Banned | Posts: 138 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
cant believe you got banned for that! seriously! but anyway sad to see you go, but if you feel the n900 wasn't for you then its up to you. i do believe you could've given it more of a chance since only making two *test* calls shows you really weren't committed to sticking to it from the start. best of luck getting out of your contract.
Thx for your comment mate

It was more the "computer" side I was interested in, I wish (prob cud google it) but from memory the original Nokia ads basically said "a linux computer in your pocket"

If Nokia had (still can but never will) opened up its hardware drivers and we could run debian/ubuntu etc on the n900 then I would have been as happy as a pig in sh....sugar !!!!!!!!

But no Nokia had a closed firmware, and released a buggy, a very buggy OS, and its OK people saying "i can hack this and this...........and this...." well what if the fault is in Nokias closed binaries.................."

Nokia is/has done a dis-service to the community and for that it cant be excused......Nokias answer is "buy our next gen phone".............

Nokia has shafted its MOST loyal customers with the n900, and STILL people on here defend them............denial is alive and well on here.............

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside

But what if I want to make a simple phone call, I drive a BMW 635i but my n900 wont show transfer contacts over iDrive......

so what your suggesting is when I get a VITAL business call that may be worth £20k I should

a) Hang up on the caller
c) hack the phone while driving, and hack it so the blutooth stack can communicate with my iDrive the SAME way mt £50 NOKIA can

as I posted before I really do *laugh* at these "linux experts", they have NEVER wrote a line of code in their life, they dont know what CPU registers are, but yet they *hack* their n900 ie editing a text file........................

If I had my way **** X, a simple terminal on boot and use the hayes modem commands to make/recieve phone calls......

hahahh tell me again how you have "hacked" the n900 please.......................did you get a hardware address map and hack the OS to write directly to the hardware ?????? Id love to know your definition of "hacking the n900"....................
Pardon the terminology, as my "hacking", as you have so eloquently demonstrated, does not rise to the level of proper "hacking". I must've misplaced the sentence identifying myself as a newbie in my first post. My apologies.

I also understand that your life revolves around an operating system. Thus you are an expert on it. I have a life, and in fact, an exciting career, outside an operating system. Thus I am not an expert on Debian, Maemo, Windows nor any other OS modern devices operate on. But I enjoy the learning experiences the N900 and the Maemo community provide.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your experience with the iPhone. And in the meanwhile, you can "school" the iOS3/4 community of the flaws you may find in the Apple products.

Thanks again for your contribution to Maemo.

a) Hang up on the caller

At this point you sound like an arse....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavageD For This Useful Post:
Nokia has shafted its MOST loyal customers with the n900, and STILL people on here defend them............denial is alive and well on here.............
Very true this. Except the denial part. You see, I know I got shafted (by Nokia dumping Maemo), but for me even that is not reason enough to opt for the second best product.

Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
in the meantime you will have to put up with this http://www.my-maemo.com/software/app...5&fldAuto=1095
Nspeed is a game ported from S60v1: http://symbiansmartphone.blogspot.co...nokia-s60.html

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
For me it's a very simple question. I don't think there is another device that comes close to the N900 for me.

1. It takes breathtaking photos. Video could be better though. Just take a look at maximuscool's thread.
2. It has a wonderful hardware keyboard. No other device has this. I require tactile feedback. I hate on screen keyboards.
3. It has a resistive touch screen with pressure sensitivity. Multi touch would be nice..but I would miss the stylus a lot, especially for drawing. What other current device can use MyPaint like the N900?
4. It has some good potential. PSX and N64 are a stone throw away from being perfect. It has support for bluetooth controllers. Froyo is being developed for it. Meego may come to it. USB OTG should be coming. Browsing is great. I am posting from it right now. There is a workaround for flash with the chance of being ported from Harmattan in the future. And much more. So for me, the device is exciting.
5. Not to mention all the other hardware like FM Transmitter, Infrared, 32GB of storage + support for 16GB (possibly 32GB more), 3.5" screen with a great resolution.
6. The way most movies are supported just by copying them, and they look great. The kickstand may be small, but hey it's there.
7. It is a pure linux device, not running a virtual machine like android. Native linus applications can be used well and I have read stories of Linux Admins doing wonders with this phone.

I agree with this device replacing a desktop/laptop. This device is perfect in my opinion. The greatest disadvantage is Nokia's lack of support for the device. Sure it has its shortcomings, like lack of games but the pros greatly outclass the cons. At least for me.

This device is a pleasure to use. All the hacks and fun with it one can have...

So I'm sorry you were disappointed by it. I just can't understand how other devices will be better. This is only my opinion though.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2010-07-30 at 21:18.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
entertainment, new isheep, nokia otaku, oh no dont go, outrage, popcorn time, see ya dork, shark week, trololol, what a dick