Active Topics

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
i have been a DIEHARD Nokia supporter, lover, promotor, and addict for about 12 years now when i got my first 6150 back then. now with the n900 and in the much more modern cellular world we live in now in comparison to those old days, I feel equally comfortable with my nokia, however.........

with the lack of support from Nokia, and the sense that even the most knowledgeable of you guys are willing to forego your love for Nokia and whatever forthcoming devices, i am somewhat wavering now when i consider what shall be next for ne when i start eyeballing the next best thing or better yet, my personal end-all-be-all (which will last probably a month till the next best one comes out)

that being said, in the case of the n900, what has been such a great help and support system is the enormity of support i get from this very community, and the sheer love we all have for this and other devices, and the lengths we all will go thru to make it work for us whether it be thru the development of a new app, or the tweaking of an existing one, or even the modding of the device itself.

my biggest frustration is that with such a potent and capable device, is that nokia would abandon it the way it appears they are at this time simply allowing the horsesh1t like the iphone and droid devices to stomp it to the gutter.

and so to answer the question, i would likely remain loyal to Nokia, however it would really take a HUGE thing to keep me from moving onto an android device.

NOKIA I SINCERELY HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
To me, it seems that nokia has made its position abundantly clear. They promise to make something incredible out of meego, something that won't be practical to backport on the n900. Meaning that the developer time needed would cost the company money without any obvious returns.

Of course, we customers were all mad to buy a "step 4/5" testing toy, right?

In any case, no amount of ranting in the internet will make nokia change its mind. Perhaps amassing 10.000 users and walking to Espoo chanting "we want meego... kill the iLord" would do the trick

Maybe I'm the only one whom this thread has really meant just a mobile phone and not a co-mobile (comp+phone).

For me personally Nokia's high-end Mae~Meego path has little appeal (experience + grudge factor), albeit Meego in itself may hold promise if it gets picked up by a variety of manufacturers.

I tend to be in the second wave wrt. new-fangled gadgets and I think I'll observe the scene for the best platform, hardware and manufacturer (staying power!) before jumping in for a tablet-phone. Although a well-regarded and affordable package might tempt me go impulsive sooner than I expect...

Still, Nokia should identify their most desirable classic products and finetune them into must-have classic phones (my personal drooler would be a slimmer gunmetal 65|6|700 Slide with a full frontal screen).

Sigh. There was so much synergy to be gained from having more advanced classic phones that interact and integrate perfectly with a multi-user internet and media Meego tablet...

There'd simply be a non-ending list of novel user cases while the combo would advance both Nokia's current mainstay mobile business and the Meego tablet platform which also needs a lift under its wings.

If Nokia chooses to ignore that idea I hope some of Nokia's competitors would lurk here and run with it.

I have read the last few pages with a sense of horror but given my recent experiences with Nokia devices it should be joy.

So there is not going to be a meego Nokia device till like mid next year? If Windows 7 is going to be too late to the party coming in late this year then what hope is there for meego? Since Meego 1.1 is being completed October I thought the first meego handsets would be coming out around then.

I was planning to see what Meego had to offer before deciding on my next device. If there is not going to be anything till next year then I might as well jump to android now (Samsung Epic in particular looks appealing). No way can I stick with N900 till next year. Or will Intel have a meego device ready for just after October? Truth be told I would prefer a meego device from anyone but Nokia.

The Following User Says Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Wait. Where did I miss the mention that no MeeGo hardware until sometime next year!?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait. Where did I miss the mention that no MeeGo hardware until sometime next year!?
First post on page 22.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to etuoyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by geohsia View Post
Without starting from the beginning. Absolutely nothing makes sense about their strategy. How long will Harmattan UI last? Let's see 6 months?
Again, you’re all in arms about the wrong things. The Harmattan UI will be the basis for Nokia’s later MeeGo products (sure, they will keep on improving it but still, the Nokia Qt UX lineage starts with Harmattan’s UI).

To your questions regarding what devices are still supported from 2007, the first generation iPhone just stopped getting iOS updates, but it got all the way up to iOS 3. Now just because the original iPhone won't get iOS 4 doesn't mean it won't still get patch updates to iOS 3.
So let me see, that’s about two years for the iPhone, and about a year for Android. The OP requested "a few years" *on top* of a then-nearly two year old handset.

At some point Harmattan branched off Fremantle, they should have merged all bug fixes and minor upgrades back to the Fremantle release source tree and created a new release, whether that be 5.5 or whatever.
I think it is not yet fully realized how different Harmattan is from Fremantle. As there is a huge influx of Qt components, a whole lot of changes simply do not apply to Fremantle. The MeeGo Core+Harmattan userland project makes most sense in that manner, and, if the teams working on it go through, that will be exactly what most power users will migrate to (as we established that pure MeeGo has relatively little appeal to end users).

Oh, and BTW, the first device that would have run that release should have been the N8.
Maemo (in it’s Fremantle branch) is completely unfit for the N8, both from the aspect of hardware and target audiences.

I wish someone would have the guts to say Linux is it for Nokia Smartphones, but honestly I don't expect the guys in Nokia HQ to have the guts to make any decisions like that. Instead they keep adding more OS projects to work on.
Back to square 1, smartphones =/= superphones. As much a penguinhead as I am, I must admit Symbian can go where Linux cannot (and the other way round). So why the all the hate and calls to drop the ranges where Nokia is doing best ?

Here's another reason why the quad-OS strategy is stupid.
There is no quad-OS strategy, there are two smartphone OSs now and there will be two next year. I don’t know why people treat Symbian^3 as a new OS. It’s like saying Apple should drop iOS 4 as it’s going to publish iOS 5 next year anyway.

Remember PR 1.2? Software gets delayed and guess what hardware too. So plans are one thing by the time we get to meego and S^4 where will iOS be and where will Android be?
iOS will be exactly where it is now because of their yearly major release cycle, Android will be on Gingerbread (maybe a point release after), with most devices in the field running FroYo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Before someone gets to irresponsible journalism/blogging. I’m talking about hadware and software that is designed for MeeGo *from the ground up*. The Harmattan device that has been hinted for 2010H2 was well underway when MeeGo happened - whether you count that as MeeGo hardware (even though it will be running Maemo 6), I leave it up to you.

EDIT: Don't get disappointed or I'll get all sorts of angry because it means marketing was right when they just slapped a MeeGo sticker on Maemo 6 It's like being disappointed in Android land that a manufacturer today puts FroYo on their flagship when Gingerbread devices will be out next year.

Last edited by attila77; 2010-07-31 at 10:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It's like being disappointed in Android land that a manufacturer today puts FroYo on their flagship when Gingerbread devices will be out next year.
it's worse than that! They're coming out at the end of THIS year!

...wait, worse or better?

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
Before someone gets to irresponsible journalism/blogging. I’m talking about hadware and software that is designed for MeeGo *from the ground up*. The Harmattan device that has been hinted for 2010H2 was well underway when MeeGo happened - whether you count that as MeeGo hardware (even though it will be running Maemo 6), I leave it up to you.

EDIT: Don't get disappointed or I'll get all sorts of angry because it means marketing was right when they just slapped a MeeGo sticker on Maemo 6 It's like being disappointed in Android land that a manufacturer today puts FroYo on their flagship when Gingerbread devices will be out next year.
Okay let me clarify what you are saying. By Maemo 6 you mean Meego 1.1 right? I thought there was not going to be Maemo 6 but instead it would be Meego from now.

However, what I read your posts to be is that the first Nokia device out this year will run Maemo 6. for the sake of simplicity let us call it N9. Then next year Nokia will release N10 which will run Meego. At that point N9 owners will be able to update the operating system from Maemo 6 to Meego. Is that correct? And if that is what you are saying can we really trust Nokia that you will indeed be able to update the operating system and not have to buy N10 to get the new operating system?

Tags
nokiaisrelevant, noreally!