Active Topics

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
Does Android have a word processor for opening and editing .docx documents?
Yes, it does. Documents to Go from DataViz.

Originally Posted by hhadrian View Post
thanks taking a picture (on the phone) then uploading to an auction listing.then running my ebay account from the full ebay website i want full access not a semi skinned app.i tried this on 3gs and could not make it work (maybe my fault was on a shop demo unit) i do not want to use hosting sites,maybe iphone 4g.Was surprised today used n900 for a while, like my text smileys sent my son one on his tattoo android 1.6 (like streak) nothing he got just black dots not lovely yellow face i thought he was getting not very impressed
I haven't tried it yet, but considering I have a BUNCH of old crap to get rid of, I'll try it and let you know, if you're genuinely interested to know. I can't imagine it would be impossible or even hard to do. I imagine I'd just snap the pictures first, then go to the eBay website and just upload them as usual. I'll let you know and post the auction here. HEY! Win-win.

Originally Posted by twigleaf1976 View Post
For me anything branded Nokia is straight off the list of possible alternatives. This turkey has destroyed any faith I had in their phones. And as I have some say in my firms mobile phones and spending, they won't be darkening our door anytime soon either.

I love open source but I also like functioning hardware and workable OS and the N900 isn't. Nothing I want in work can be done on the N900 that can't be done better on other phones and so I am now back to my tytn2 which is 2 years old and runs cruddy winmo6.
Well, now that you're mentioning a firm... any BUSINESS would NEVER want to use an N900 as their phone. RIGHT away, the problem is that there is no IMMEDIATE support or replacement policy. You can't wait a month or more to ship this device all over the Earth just to get a small (maybe not even critical) part replaced. You can't depend on Nokia as a vendor of a device your business depends on. This would be an immediate deal-killer in any business relationship with a device manufacturer, as far as I'm concerned, and a big reason why I cannot recommend it to the associated, friends and family that I talk to either.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Denmark
I am waiting for the nitdroid project to complete their work. I am really tired of n900's keyboard though and might switch to the first handset with a decent qwerty keyboard and android. Need good calendar and e-mail functionality. A browser that doesn't suck is just a plus.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
after playing with HTC hero in the weekend I just ordered Nokia C5 a hour ago.... (good old 6630 might have dropped to water once too much...) I copied my friend who switched from iPhone 3GS and he said that nothing has yet appeared that he could do with iPhone but not with C5. And flash is cool in internets he said

the biggest clitch with HTC was with android market and insane "no paid apps" -restriction. wtf. Plans for Galaxy S were flushed in a split second after learning that.

So now I'll be waiting what kind of meego handset there will be (and as I've said million times before: if it isn't good in my opinion, I'll buy another n900)
If the link doesn't help, just use
Google Custom Search

The Following User Says Thank You to ossipena For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by paddycochrane View Post
Hi all,

...Basic functions like copying text from an email are not possible on the n900, ..

If you put the cursor at the beginning of the section of text you wish to copy, just hold the "Shift" key, will pressing the right directional key, to highlight the selection. Once you have the selection, pres Ctrl+C to copy, Ctrl+V to paste. No issues copying and pasting for me.

I just shorted the backlight on my 900's screen (sink ) and I'm looking at alternatives that support Sling. Wanting a hard keyboard/slider, and not being a fan of iPhone, I don't see anything really compelling that will support AT&T 3G (I'd get a Torch but want a bigger screen). I'll probably just hold for a Milestone 2 or pick up the Verizon Droid 2/Pro if it supports AT&T's 3G with its "World Roaming" capability.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-08-17 at 21:07.

The Following User Says Thank You to colnago For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ptpoul View Post
I am waiting for the nitdroid project to complete their work. I am really tired of n900's keyboard though and might switch to the first handset with a decent qwerty keyboard and android. Need good calendar and e-mail functionality. A browser that doesn't suck is just a plus.
Good news! You got your way with Android! Here, take your pick!
Calendar and email work SPLENDIDLY in Android, too, I might add.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Fennec = Micro B?
On a side note, all of these 4in+ screens are all 480x800 pixels, ex. HTC Evo 4G & Samsung Galaxy. Does that mean pixels per square inch or for the whole screen?

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait. It just hit me.

What's the stock processor speed of the N900?

And why u think there is a lot of owners complaining abt the phone....

Fennec = Micro B?
On a side note, all of these 4in+ screens are all 480x800 pixels, ex. HTC Evo 4G & Samsung Galaxy. Does that mean pixels per square inch or for the whole screen?
They're 480x800 whole screen resolution because it's a graphic mode profile (think back to the old days with CGA, EGA, VGA, and VESA modes). Android profiles are limited to resolutions supported by Android (although they're adding 1280x760 as a new tablet profile with Android 3.0, ref: http://phonereport.info/google-andro...etails-leaked/).

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 161 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ San Francisco, CA
Ok thats a little disappointing...Well September 15th is the day when hopefully alot of questions will be answered by not only Nokia but also HTC...Still kinda rooting for Nokia to pull off a miracle, but also willing to accept the possibility of getting an Android phone.

Ok thats a little disappointing...Well September 15th is the day when hopefully alot of questions will be answered by not only Nokia but also HTC...Still kinda rooting for Nokia to pull off a miracle, but also willing to accept the possibility of getting an Android phone.
The problem with what you seem to think of as Nokia pulling off a miracle is that it falls short of being a miracle because it's still Nokia (and all the really bad experiences of dealing with the company as a customer). You'll still have to call the same customer support people, still be told that they won't sell you spare parts, still will have to wait a month while your device floats all over the world by courier if you want them to fix it, same same same company.

Naw, near as I can tell, Nokia's burned a lot of bridges and ruined the experience even if they got things right. I'd rather hold to see what Intel does, myself.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post: