Active Topics

Poll: Does your N900 have GPS problems?
Poll Options
Does your N900 have GPS problems?

Anyone notice elevation errors on the GPS? The horizontal seems to map fine, but I live at 4m above sea level and it has me down at 70m.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
When PR1.2 gets here, GPS is improved quite a bit. If it gets here...
Don't feel the same way, after PR1.2 GPS lock does take a longer time than before. Have tried Location Test, GPSJinni and Location widget alongside Ovi Maps without network assistance (A-GPS).

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
Originally Posted by BigTony View Post
Anyone notice elevation errors on the GPS? The horizontal seems to map fine, but I live at 4m above sea level and it has me down at 70m.
Vertical accuracy is about the least trustworthy measurement in the system, but not normally by a lot.

Some GPS models usually report the height several meters above what it actually is, also depending on many factors (staggeringly many), you might have an ellipse of error in the 20 or 30 meter range on top of this, so the errors can be compounded.

Best bet is to wait 40 minutes or so and try again, see if it becomes more accurate as the satellites move around.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
I suppose I use PR 1.2.

GPS lock maybe improved a little bit... But it's still humorous.

With Location Test, I get accurate latitude and longitude, no error.
Satellites: 0/3.

Clicking Map (in Location Test) gives "Coordinates not available". What does it mean? Latitude and longitude are well known, and accurate. Why cannot map see it?

I'm really, really disappointed with the GPS on the N900, like everyone else it never gets a lock, even outside using GPSJinni. I've looked at the bugzilla and it appears that as it works for *some people*, the bug has been closed? What the hell?

GPS on the N900 sucks.......

Any satellites listed in GPSJinni? Any with more than 15%? Network Positioning enabled or disabled? GPS Antenna left uncovered, undisturbed and unmoved for a few minutes? (set screen blanking delay to max)

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart

I appreciate the help, but I'm not happy about having to download different apps just to coax my GPS into working. It seems unless you have a data plan and are using A-GPS, the internal GPS will take upwards of 20 minutes to get a lock, which I think is unacceptable. Bundle this with the fact that none of the mapping software seems to handle this very well and you get one very unsatisfied customer.

Originally Posted by Sonny_Jim View Post
I appreciate the help, but I'm not happy about having to download different apps just to coax my GPS into working. It seems unless you have a data plan and are using A-GPS, the internal GPS will take upwards of 20 minutes to get a lock, which I think is unacceptable. Bundle this with the fact that none of the mapping software seems to handle this very well and you get one very unsatisfied customer.
Well.... ModRana application remembers your last position, until it gets a new GPS lock to update it.
Make sure you have the latest version of Maemo (sure you have, but just in case).
Location test doesn't coax your GPS into working; it coaxes you into waiting for GPS lock because you can see the progress of the GPS as numbers: m/n.

You see, to get GPS lock on the maps, you need m>0, and it can be only in case of n>=4 (usually it needs not less than 5).

When you see the n number (number of satellites visible), you can go to a location where n is higher and thus expedite GPS lock.

I have never had A-GPS at all! And I enjoy GPS though it can take ten-twenty minutes inside the house to get a GPS lock (it's faster outside).

Hope it helps you.

Yes, but you are missing my point entirely.

Why should I pay $400 for a phone (or whatever you want to call it) and then have to fart around to get the GPS to work? Why can't this $400 device work like every other GPS I've ever used?