Active Topics

I have just released a small script on maemo garage called "seat belt" for the nokia 770. Seat belt changes the way memory is alocaded making more use of caches and swap. it takes less risk when allocatng. Seat belt prevents crashes of the browser and other programs. there is no deb yet so it will take a little work to install
please try it and don't be afraid to give me your opinion
thankyou

The Following User Says Thank You to smackpotato For This Useful Post:
It's difficult to find things on Garage. Could you provide a link ?

Okay, the announcement has appeared on the Garage home page. Can the script be tested by running it with sudo in xterm or does it only take effect when run at boot time ?

I installed it on my 770 with OS2007HE, ran your test, it's working. I'll report back in a day or two.

2fpp here is the link https://garage.maemo.org/projects/seatbelt/
sure you can run it anytime from root . the changes will be lost after you reeboot. this may be the best way if you just want to experment

Right, thanks. That's what I'm doing right now, looks good ; if there are no visible side effects I'll add it at boot time.

Maybe I'm being over-cautious, but as always this sort of "magic bullet" always begs the question : why isn't it the default in the first place ? :-)

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
not enough knowhow from the techs working on the firmware?

...or maybe over-caution on their side too ? :-)

Posts: 232 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tennessee, US
smackpotato is there any hope of getting deb for this?
Are the people using this finding that it does indeed make apps more stable?
I would love to install this on my 770 HE but i am really wary of the terminal since I had to reflash last time i got playing in it.

I will try to mke a deb later on. it will take some time as i dont know how its done.
I can tell you this does make the browsers a lot more stable. the only bad part is objects are more readily swapped. it takes a few ticks to load the keyboard if you have not accessed it in a while