Active Topics

So i've played around with transitions and have finally got something that i liked and want to share, so here goes...

This is a modified version of dscobsct's file

- Faster launcher transitions than stock PR1.2
- Got rid of the icon flow effect (even for sub folder icons animation)
- better transition (as per my preference) from main launcher to sub folder launchers
- background zooms out instead of zooms in
- background turns grey

rename to transitions.ini and copy to
/usr/share/themes/<Your current theme>/transitions.ini

this will leave your system wide transitions file intact and to revert just delete the file from the above path.
Attached Files
File Type: txt transitions.txt (6.5 KB, 270 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to snap For This Useful Post:
This is my modified transitions file. Pretty much stole snap's and slightly modified it.

I'll make a video if requested.

Instructions are same as above.

Just remove .txt at the end of the filename.
Attached Files
File Type: txt transitions.ini.txt (2.3 KB, 208 views)

FYI, a few notes after studying hildon-desktop source

1) Blur.turbo setting: It is used in two functions in hildon-desktop to bypass some initialization jobs.One of the function is in hd_launcher_tile_init() and the other is for tidy_blur_group_class_init().

a) hd_launcher_tile_init(): Seems to me more like a debug feature, instead of instantiating a ClutterGroup, a ClutterRectangular object(?) is created. The difference between these two is the later doesn't have ClutterContainer so maybe save some memory. In turbo mode, the ClutterRectangular is painted red and also from the comment it looks like it's mainly for debugging.

EDIT: After reboot you will see the background around icons becoming red on launcher page.

b) tidy_blur_group_class_init(): When turbo mode is on, bypass tidy_blur_group_paint(). It's a function with nearly 400-line codes and the comment said it paints all child actor so this could a more time-consuming function.

So turbo mode is a valid setting, but it has nothing to do with frame-rate. It's an optimization on blur, whether it brings tangible improvement or not is another thing, though.

Last edited by sony123; 2010-09-11 at 17:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Another thing I checked is frame rate. Unfortunately, it is retrieved for hd-scrollable-group by clutter_get_default_frame_rate(). And the value is in theory set through clutter_set_default_frame_rate(), somewhere outside hildon-desktop because I couldn't find this function call in hildon-desktop.

However, the good news is we should be able to bypass this by hard coding the desired fps value to dir->manual_scroll_timeline variable. It looks to me this determines the number of frames drawn. But I don't know the what the graphic driver's refresh rate is so attempting to increasing the frame rate could:
1) Make the scrolling smoother (unlikely otherwise Nokia would have done it)
2) Make the scrolling slower because the request is too heavy on hardware.
3) Doesn't make any different due to graphic driver's limitation, either by refresh rate or something else (doesn't look like N900's refresh rate is slow, though.)

N900 doesn't do vsync, otherwise the frame_rate will be determined solely by vsync and in other words, refresh rate.

Maybe someone can try compiling hildon-desktop with the above modification and see if it works or not.

Last edited by sony123; 2010-09-11 at 08:35.

Finally, have you ever wondered what the is_cool field means?

From the comment, it only applies to notification in portrait mode. I will just copy-paste the comment here:

/* In portrait fly from right to left, stay in the corner
* then fly away, following a bezier curve. At the start
* the notification's bottom-center is at the screen's
* top-right. By the end the notification's bottom-right
* is at the screen's top-left. */

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 200 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
Hi.
This time I'm playing with my transitions.ini. It seems I understand how to do something nice. Only thing I don't like is the transition when I open the Settings Menu.... Also I dont know how to "mod" exactly that transition.
Which block of the transitions.ini is responsible for the Settings Menu?

Right now when I click on the Settingsmenu, I see the fonts and the standard icons. then it loads some sec and show me extra plugins like FontChanger or custom operator name applet.
Here's my problem: There's a transition when loading the settings menu. That's fine with me. But then there's an other transition when the menu is loading the extra plugins. (font is fading/zooming) I wanna get rid of that. How?

sry I can't post a preview video...

... Well, I got it... at least for now I can live with it.
also I got a bit bored from the wave-effect-transitions.

So i worked out something slightly different.
Just have a look, if you want to...

...still not capable of posting a video. sry...
Attached Files
File Type: zip groovy_transitions.zip (2.4 KB, 180 views)

dear NightShift79
its a great transition but when i click the menu it change to gray hmm am wondering if you can make it as the same wallpaper without the gray color just the original wallpaper?
thank you

The Following User Says Thank You to moudy91 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 263 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ wales
from what i can gather the framerate of the transitions is set at 100 frames a second, which is daft really, its the coding and load slowing it down, framerate of the scrolling is completely bonkers low, terrible how they thought it was acceptable bringin a device out with this kind of scrolling performance, and its evident in any app that uses it, you only have to look at something like filebox to see what the scrolling should be like. pitty maemo 5 aint based on qt

The Following User Says Thank You to dscobsct For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by moudy91 View Post
dear NightShift79
its a great transition but when i click the menu it change to gray hmm am wondering if you can make it as the same wallpaper without the gray color just the original wallpaper?
thank you
Just open the transitions.ini in an editor, search the [home] block...
Code:
[home]
radius=6
radius_more=12
saturation=0.2
brightness=0.9
zoom=1
zoom_applets=075
and change the value of saturation from 0.2 to 1

- I wonder if it's possible for the devs to implement more possible effects.
Well, Windows Movie maker got some nice transitions for creating an image slide show.^^

Tags
face stuck in palm