Active Topics

Posts: 247 | Thanked: 67 times | Joined on May 2010 @ limassol cyprus
Originally Posted by sacal View Post
In English "meego" seams like "Me go" or I go.
For some latin languages "meego" is pronounced similar to "amigo" that means friend.
Let's wait to see if going to Meego will be a good decision and if it is really user friendly.
maybe its just another way of saying My Ego? MeEgo?

Posts: 67 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Helsinki Finland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Please learn to keep meego.com and MeeGo from Nokia seperate. You won't see non-redistributable commercial applications bundled with meego.com images.
Exactly, apps like Maps will not be available unless Nokia decides to make it available to N900 Maemo buyers that have moved to MeeGo (assuming it works some day).

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Basically it's this. Nokia have been working on maemo for a number of years to the point where it is stable and mature. The smartphone market is very competitive and competition is fierce.

Nokia thought that cracking this market and exploiting it was not hard enough as it is and decided to abandon maemo and joined a new system instead - called MeeGo.

Meego does the same thing as maemo but is more open source and development is open to everyone (one day).

Meego is the best because maemo does not sound cool enough and maemo is really old now.

There is a large collection of software for maemo written by many developers who spend significant amounts of time writing new software with loads of features that make the n900 so interesting to own.

With meego there is a probability that much of the current software will have to be changed to run properly on Meego. Developers hate writing new features and prefer spending their time on re-testing and tweaking their software to run on Meego. Why fix bugs when you can spend time constantly changing your software on an ever-changing platform?

Maemo is based on gtk and Meego is based on QT. Gtk & QT make the software on your phone look pretty and help developers write cool software.

Nokia chose QT because it's the best.

Hmm here's a question though, not many people actually bought the N900, at least we know for a fact that during this whole year ever since N900 was launched (almost a whole year anyway), not many developers have actually made any specific top quality killing apps for the phone (those apps are available on iPhone and other platforms already), and the OVI store sucks and really there're just not many developers actually making stuff for it.

People have been abandoning the N900 as well and Nokia pretty much dropped support for it too.

So what makes Nokia think that releasing a new device will change everything?? Who knows, maybe Meego won't even be the final line of the product......

My point being is that you can't trust Nokia anymore these days, at least i don't. With the little amount of support they provided for the N900, as well as its small community of users and developers, i don't see how people would spend money on another Nokia device, only that it's a newer version using Meego....can't they just concentrate on making Maemo great?

Maemo 5 has been through various stages obviously, and now they're jumping straight to Meego....

Originally Posted by shadowz1337 View Post
Hmm here's a question though, not many people actually bought the N900, at least we know for a fact that during this whole year ever since N900 was launched (almost a whole year anyway), not many developers have actually made any specific top quality killing apps for the phone (those apps are available on iPhone and other platforms already), and the OVI store sucks and really there're just not many developers actually making stuff for it.

People have been abandoning the N900 as well and Nokia pretty much dropped support for it too.

So what makes Nokia think that releasing a new device will change everything?? Who knows, maybe Meego won't even be the final line of the product......

My point being is that you can't trust Nokia anymore these days, at least i don't. With the little amount of support they provided for the N900, as well as its small community of users and developers, i don't see how people would spend money on another Nokia device, only that it's a newer version using Meego....can't they just concentrate on making Maemo great?

Maemo 5 has been through various stages obviously, and now they're jumping straight to Meego....
Agreed....

In many Asia countries, N900 just release as a new Nokia mobile phone for only 3 - 4 months..... and then hear Nokia is abandoning the N900...

Nokia don't really care about customer feeling in these days

I really want my money back from Nokia......

Last edited by cmsjkung; 2010-09-26 at 05:54.

you guyz stop spread rumors
nokia is not abandoning the n900
we will soon have the option to choose meego os or maemo os for geek
nuser meego os that we could have games like iphone and adroid as and some good application just as nokia n8

and geeks that want to do daul boot keep maemo
so get in your think heads

i support nokia move to meego because of more apps and games and make much closer to nokia n8 qt

i am not a geek but love work that maemo.org team is doing, i prefer to have option to utilize the full potential of the nokia n900

Last edited by ajflex; 2010-09-26 at 18:23.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
It's the same old story of Nokia leaving everything in limbo and not forwith with any information regarding future and current developments.

Until Meego on the n900 fully supports the hardware via the meego UX then it's vapourware.

I want to be proven wrong.

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ajflex View Post
i support nokia move to meego because of more apps and games and make much closer to nokia n8 qt

i am not a geek but love work that maemo.org team is doing, i prefer to have option to utilize the full potential of the nokia n900
closer to n8 and QT? as far as I know N900 has upto date QT also so I dont get you and others point about N900 not supported?

Posts: 220 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ england
lets face it. its all hype. nothing will happen untill(if) it happens nokia dont give a rats *** about the n900! FACT!!!!!
meego aint gonna change that.
there board room is too busy working out ways to con punters into buying the n8 and n9. and meego isnt gonna be a touch on maemo
for at least its first year. by then the n900 will be 2 years old.
and we will all be moaning that we need meego 2.0 like we are for pr1.3. and where the hell is that!!!!! what hope is there??

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
It's the same old story of Nokia leaving everything in limbo and not forwith with any information regarding future and current developments.

Until Meego on the n900 fully supports the hardware via the meego UX then it's vapourware.

I want to be proven wrong.
Originally Posted by mr_xzibit View Post
lets face it. its all hype. nothing will happen untill(if) it happens nokia dont give a rats *** about the n900! FACT!!!!!
meego aint gonna change that.
Guys. You have *paid staff* working on it, *regular, public, downloadable builds* and *weekly reports* on how MeeGo is progressing on the N900, plus *public threads on the whole topic*.

Last edited by attila77; 2010-09-27 at 09:42.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post: