Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Germany
Hi, I'm considering to buy JoikuSpot from the OVI store but I've got some questions first which maybe can be answered by someone who it really knows?

1) Does it provide the phone's 3G connection via a WIFI HotSpot and does it reliable work?

I read something about missing features and problems of the maemo kernel and that a wifi hotspot couldn't work. So, I wonder if JoikuSpot works with PR1.2 and the original kernel.

2) Can JoikuSpot also be a router for the phone's WIFI (not the 3G) connection?

Means, I connect with the N900 to a WIFI-Hotspot which JoikuSpot then provides to one or more other devices?

3) Can a Sony PSPgo access the internet and PSN via JoikuSpot on N900?

Thanks,
nexus

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by nexus101 View Post
Hi, I'm considering to buy JoikuSpot from the OVI store but I've got some questions first which maybe can be answered by someone who it really knows?

1) Does it provide the phone's 3G connection via a WIFI HotSpot and does it reliable work?

I read something about missing features and problems of the maemo kernel and that a wifi hotspot couldn't work. So, I wonder if JoikuSpot works with PR1.2 and the original kernel.

2) Can JoikuSpot also be a router for the phone's WIFI (not the 3G) connection?

Means, I connect with the N900 to a WIFI-Hotspot which JoikuSpot then provides to one or more other devices?

3) Can a Sony PSPgo access the internet and PSN via JoikuSpot on N900?

Thanks,
nexus
Yes, it is reliable and it shares the 3G connection over WiFi

I'm not sure how you can share the device's WiFi connection over... well... WiFi, so I guess that's a no on the HW level.
As for PSPs and PS3s, as well as Android phones (well, not rooted ones anyways), these don't support Ad-Hoc connections, so nope, you can't use it with them.

Being an OSS (Open Source Software) fan, I've switched to mobilehotspot, which is free and available in the repos, you could try that, which works equally as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
I've been using premium for a while and it works great, but agree that the free mobile hotspot from the repos is equally as good and free.

i have had issues with joikuspot over long term usage - anything more than about an hour and all ip traffic from my laptop to the n900 seems to stop. i now use bluetooth tethering for a single device connection and only switch to joikuspot when i need to share the connection with more than one device.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Germany
mobilehotspot requires a custom kernel, right? I really don't know if I want to switch the original kernal. Hm. Sounds dangerous? Would a psp work with mobilehotspot? Thanks.

nexus

Posts: 210 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ NYC!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by droll View Post
i have had issues with joikuspot over long term usage - anything more than about an hour and all ip traffic from my laptop to the n900 seems to stop. i now use bluetooth tethering for a single device connection and only switch to joikuspot when i need to share the connection with more than one device.
i paid for the premium joikuspot and while i dont regret the purchase, i too have begun to use the bluetooth modem and the primary tethering connection and it works flawlessly 99% of the time where joiku tends to crap out often.

Posts: 7 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Davis, CA, US
I've tried it (after paying for it) multiple times and it's failed to work every time. I need to try to play with it again, but it seems odd that for an app that is supposed to "just work" it "just didn't". I'm hoping though, as I need it!

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Originally Posted by hardaker View Post
I've tried it (after paying for it) multiple times and it's failed to work every time. I need to try to play with it again, but it seems odd that for an app that is supposed to "just work" it "just didn't". I'm hoping though, as I need it!
Same experience here. It has never worked.

i wish i did not buy this App , Weak signal even when the n9 next to the laptop, also dose not allow you to use Normal wifi *** internet wifi acp , ou must have data plane from your netwok .. just a waste of money

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by nexus101 View Post
mobilehotspot requires a custom kernel, right? I really don't know if I want to switch the original kernal. Hm. Sounds dangerous? Would a psp work with mobilehotspot? Thanks.

nexus
Nope, not at all, flashing a custom kernel (from a trusted source) is completely safe.
The PSP won't work with anything that uses Ad-Hoc, sony limitations.