Active Topics

I was wondering if there was a way to defragment the main card(I don't think that's what its called, but the one that apps are stored on, with 250 Mb). I'm guessing that there's a way to do it through X Terminal, But I want to know if there are any other ways anyone knows about.

Posts: 346 | Thanked: 139 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Houston Texas
De-fragmenting is only meant for hard drives, since the platters get fragmented and data get put in different physical locations.

I read somewhere that fragmenting flash memory cards can damage them.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joshv06 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 157 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ San Diego, CA
This is correct, fragmentation is an issue for hard drives due to the physical seek time necessary to move the read head around when your data is scattered.

Random Access times for flash memory is not affected by physical location, and thus fragmentation does not cause the same performance issues.

Also, IIRC ext3 filesystems attempt to prevent fragmentation to a degree as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to go1dfish For This Useful Post:
What I know from exerience, defragmenting SSD HD will screw the data so that it needs to be formatted.

a recent article in symbianworld.org seems to contradict this. can anybody confirm? sorry i can't include the link for now. the article says '...make your nokia smartphone faster by defragmenting...'

Originally Posted by Random View Post
What I know from exerience, defragmenting SSD HD will screw the data so that it needs to be formatted.

here's the link...symbianworld.org/6602-how-to-improve-speed-of-your-smartphone-through-defragmenting/

anyone tried this?

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 156 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Holland
Maybe I look stupid, but I'm not
I'm not going to try defragmenting after reading the previous posts

Though I'm not certain that linux is really affected by defragmenting, but I'm pretty certain the Mydocs partition might at least have a 1% increase in speed...ahh, forget what I just said

A work around to defrag the n900 is simply this:

Connect your n900 to your computer

Go to your computers defragmenting application (which ever one you have)

Redirect the computers defragmenting application to the n900's hard drives

And let the computer do the defraging for ya...

If you experience a speed increase, plz let us know

Just a side note, Berserk and the other dude is probably right, so Do this at your own risk!

Last edited by SavageD; 2010-10-02 at 14:53.

LOL. Flash drives typically will do 100,000 cycles before they start to deteriorate. If you defragment once a day, it will only last for 274 years. So be careful, considering a full defragmentation involves more than one cycle on average, there is a small statistical chance that your flash drive will die before you do

Posts: 1,210 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ hamburg,germany
so is it save?
i already seen this if i tried to defrag and my windows xp shows me my n900 storage.
i was a little bit confused.
hmm can some crazy dude test this?
don`t wan`t to blow up my phone

Nobody likes us but we dont care....