Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
Originally Posted by stlpaul View Post
I think it is only for residents of UK. To use it in USA you'll need to cheat it by using a proxy in UK... In Fennec type "about:config" into the address bar and filter by the word "proxy", there you can set up your proxy information.
wait wait wait, fennec has flash ????!!??

nope, it would'nt work. you would need to use microb. you can stick the proxy settings in the network connection in advanced settings so no need to edit browser settings.

Last edited by regnighc; 2010-09-26 at 15:44.

Best workaround yet! Many thanks, regnighc

Posts: 52 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Reading, Berkshire, UK
Umm - could someone look into developing an applet to toggle between standard and "iPlayer-enabled" mode? I'm going to pass this thread to the BBC Backstage mailing list to see if they could find someone within the Beeb to get us authorised...

I'm not a dev.. but I am chafing under the no-iPlayer-on-N900 issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcockell For This Useful Post:
Thread has been referred to BBC Backstage.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Thanks for this...I may try it tomorrow but the iplayer has always, and still does work for me through the standard site with microb, sometimes it can take 3 or 4 minutes to buffer and stop jerking but it eventually does, other times it takes about 30 seconds and then i just scroll back to the beginning.
But it's always good to find other ways too...so again, thanks.

Not that I mind anyone accessing the beeb's i-player, in fact I approve. It's just that they'll do their utmost stop stop it happening rather than help us. They would cite things like "license fee" and "rights issues abroad" to justify this.

I don't think they will, we are not bypassing that level of security.

We are just trying to bring compatibility to another Phone.

I have had a reply from the BBC who have advised that they will be testing this out.

This still doesn't allow people outside of the UK to watch it as that is based on IP location.

The Following User Says Thank You to regnighc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
Originally Posted by alcockell View Post
Umm - could someone look into developing an applet to toggle between standard and "iPlayer-enabled" mode? I'm going to pass this thread to the BBC Backstage mailing list to see if they could find someone within the Beeb to get us authorised...

I'm not a dev.. but I am chafing under the no-iPlayer-on-N900 issue.
yes you can, search this forum for queen beecon user agent switcher, and you will find some widgets that toggle between adnroid browser agent, n900's and the iphone's one, its pretty cool, try it out.

@elie-7, re Queen Beecon user agent switcher - has this been added to the repositories yet? EG - has it made it into Extras yet?