Active Topics

who the F**** cares what you are doing?

Well goodbye.
Shame you felt the need, like so many other attention seekers to tell us that you hate Nokia, now run along quietly and buy your new device, and don't forget to slag Nokia off to the shop assistant when you buy your Android.
Oh, one other thing, if the N900 is more than you can handle, there is new firmware out for your N97 which finaly makes it run quicker and gives you free maps

Posts: 65 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Finland@Turku
Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
... like so many other attention seekers...
? After using Nokia phones for 16 yrs, yes I do feel I have something to say.

Originally Posted by JonWW View Post
...that you hate Nokia...
What?? Are you like 11yrs old and slightly r e t a r d ed ?

Looking at the responses from all these "don't give a **** bye bye" I cannot but conclude there seems to be an eerie feeling out there that things are not what they should be (or have been).

Have you noticed that I am from Finland? Nokia is really important for our economy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jerra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by jerra View Post
First off, this post is meant to be constructive.

I have owned a lot of Nokia GSM phones since 1994. Two GSM phones has been other brands, Samsung and Motorola but only for a few weeks because I simply didn't like them. I don't remember the models but it was a long time ago.

Well I have been using my N900 since it's launch and it has been a good phone. Been using it like a computer almost.
My N97 before that was fun for a few weeks because of the touch screen but other than that the phone was downright bad. Sluggish and crappy from start to end. (and I paid 724 euros for that )

I was demonstrated a HTC Desire and spent the weekend reading on about Android and what functions there are. In Android I found everything I need, calendar/contacts synchronisation, email, maps, Flash 10.1 and more. I've been so into Nokia I've never even considered anything else up until recently. Just proved to myself how important a familiar brand can be.

Looking back at my N97 and N900 it now feels like I paid for these phones to be some kind of beta hardware tester. N900 has been on the market for a long time considering the lifecycle of today's hardware and still not full support with Nokia's own applications.
Reading reviews of the N8 there are hints of slow UI reponse. History repeating itself. Reading some Nokia bloggers it seems they are pushing it as it was a high-end DSLR solution... (?) Totally shifting focus from the functions that really makes a smart-phone.

I really hope Meego will be a success story and that it will help Nokia advance and once again be the smarter choice for demanding users.
I have come across many colleagues and friends who have given up on Nokia and are moving to Iphone 4.... reason is simple that it is simple to use and has most of the apps already built ! I visit each day on this website in the hope that there will be a new app that I could use, so far there have been many, thanks to the community developers but few from Nokia stable.

Still hopefull that Nokia will release :
1. Ovi maps with T by T and vioce instructions
2. A voice dialling capability
3. Proper allignment of phone buttons when receiving calls ( it just switches itself from potrait ot landscape or vice versa depending upon how you take out the phone or screen simply stays locked !!!)
4. A proper email client.

and many more

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vivmak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vivmak View Post
...so far there have been many, thanks to the community developers...
Yes that is true. There are many apps that are really really good. fMMS and the modified Hildon desktop to name a few. After getting the first MMS on my N900 I was so happy I immediately made a donation.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Hope you enjoy Android. It's a great OS with lot of good hardware.

As for the emotions in this thread, phones are just phones.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
? After using Nokia phones for 16 yrs, yes I do feel I have something to say.

What?? Are you like 11yrs old and slightly r e t a r d ed ?

Looking at the responses from all these "don't give a **** bye bye" I cannot but conclude there seems to be an eerie feeling out there that things are not what they should be (or have been).

Have you noticed that I am from Finland? Nokia is really important for our economy.
Don't worry about the howling of the Nokia Defense Forces, people are tired of these threads since there are so many of these now. I don't understand why the ones who complain even read these things or come over just to click "Thanks" on whoever says "go away" in the most obnoxious way fastest...these threads exist in the Ubuntu forurms as well: "going back to Windows", "I'm getting a Mac"...I'm not interested in why people leave desktop Linux for Windows, so I never read those things. Similarly, I don't see why the complainers bother reading these at all here. Just skip them. All in all, this forum has gone downhill very fast. Now it's mostly active with threads like these and discussion about Nitdroid - "moving to Android without buying a new phone". Pretty sad state for Maemo.

For what it's worth, I understand what you're doing perfectly, including the Finnish guilt about moving away from Nokia . I've too owned many Nokia devices, enjoyed them greatly (N810 especially, the E70 was a wonderful workhorse of a phone too back in less flashy times) and been very disappointed with current quality of Nokia's hardware and especially software. Hardware seems to be improving now at least, the horrible plastic toys that Nokia put out for several years seem to be gone...the new Symbian3 phones at least look better. But software...oh well. And yes, I'm from Finland too...with so many friends etc. working for Nokia that I can't help but feel guilty buying anything else but there's no way I can justify buying what I consider inferior devices when the alternatives (especially Android) are so good and, especially, constantly being improved on while Maemo is dead, Meego still just a fantasy and Symbian just plain ugly. If you have the money for a new Android or Iphone, it really makes sense to get one of those. For those who don't wanna send 400+ euros on phones, I always suggest the cheaper Nokias...Nokia Series40 phones are the best for value for money, anyway, by far of current phones, I think.

Anyway, If you haven't bought the Desire yet, I suggest you wait for the Desire Z: hardware keyboard and Android 2.2. The Hero has been a great phone but I miss a real keyboard, so I'm totally getting that when it's available...should be soon. Enjoy Android

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
...these threads exist in the Ubuntu forurms as well...
Yes I am too familiar with the infected Windows/Linux/<whatever> debates if they can be called debates. My intention here was only express my experience and thoughts on Nokia and Nokia phones. After all these years and $$$ spent on Nokia phones I do feel I have the right to spill out the beans.

...including the Finnish guilt about moving away from Nokia...
You managed to read between the lines. It does feel sad to realize that Nokia isn't up to par.

Anyway, If you haven't bought the Desire yet, I suggest you wait for the Desire Z: hardware keyboard and Android 2.2.
Yes that is the one I had on my mind. Curious though on how the scandinavian keyboard will be. Haven't found pictures of it.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
your correct but this site is no longer controlled by NOKIA and talk.maemo.org is not Nokia Maemo
try going to Nokia support discussion forum they have their official Maemo forum there
I think that this site is still basically controlled by people who are largely controlled by Nokia. If it wasn't, it would go back to being called InternetTabletTalk, which would make it clear that Nokia doesn't get an automatic edge. I like my N900 but would much prefer a site that was neutral on the question of which device is best. That would eliminate needless fights by people who want to complain about Nokia and would make it much clearer that this isn't a Nokia site.

I bought five Nokia devices in a row, but that doesn't mean I'm owned by Nokia. I'd be much happier if the name of this site made it clear that this site is also not Nokia-owned. But I think there are serious interests at play here, monetary interests, that still give Nokia the inside track here. The dice are loaded.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Yes that is the one I had on my mind. Curious though on how the scandinavian keyboard will be. Haven't found pictures of it.
I found one the other week, this is from some Danish site:

http://www.connect-utb.com/images/st...3/nordtast.jpg

Looks good to me!

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:

Tags
bestthreadever, douchebaggery, grass-greener, please let, this thread die