Active Topics

Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
Gentle and USB gentle are 2.
For example I'd prefer no to let my wife handle my N900. Although she claims she is careful- has a habit of moving all kinds of USB plugs in lateral direction to loosen the fit when pulling out.

Don't know about the production dates but I have a Belgian N900 (new Januari), a UK one (2nd hand June) and USA one (2nd hand August ) All of them don't show the problem after weeks of purchase.

One would not want to miss out the most advanced pocket computer annex telephone interface to date just out of precaution would he?
We could go as far as to say that another flaw is the device not being water proof.
I am sure in India people are still handy with a soldering iron if USB repair beyond warranty was needed.
A soldering iron is all it takes? U sure? I thought it was way more complicated.. Actually thats the only thing keeping me from getting an imported phone for almost 3k less.... I was worried if something happens to the USB port it wont be repaired unless in warranty...

Could u give me links to the said procedure?

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by SkyKnight View Post
A soldering iron is all it takes? U sure? I thought it was way more complicated.. Actually thats the only thing keeping me from getting an imported phone for almost 3k less.... I was worried if something happens to the USB port it wont be repaired unless in warranty...

Could u give me links to the said procedure?
I think what he means is that a broken USB is fixable by an expert who knows exactly what he is doing, and got the right tools for the job.

Originally Posted by etuoyo View Post
I think the OP has already decided to go for the N900 and people here have done a great job of convincing him that maemo 5 is far better than android. I have never used an android device so can't give an opinion on that. What I can say is I am so used to maemo 5 that it would be difficult for me to switch to something else. Does not mean that something else is not better though and for someone who has not been using maemo 5 you don't have the problem of readjusting.

As good a job posters have made convincing that maemo 5 is better than android I would just like to point out that this is Talk Maemo. You are hardly going to get a balanced view here. If you went to an android forum I am sure they would do just as good a job convincing you that android is a far better option for you. It is like if you go to a bmw forum to ask whether you should get a 5 series or an e class they would all of course say 5 series. However, if you went to a benz forum the answer would be e class.

Would be good if there was a neutral forum to go to to find out which is better for you between maemo 5 and android but do not think there is.
thanks for ur opinion.. Ive asked in a couple of other forums... and also posted one in xda as a last measure. But i am set on N900 now.. the issue now is exactly not android vs maemo but more like n900 vs n9... But since the wait wud be too long.. I guess n900 is worth it..

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
People almost always, when they have made up their mind (even when they don't know it) go and ask questions to support their decision. Choosing who they'd ask is a part of the process. That is not bad for me, in the end we are all humans we must'nt pretend we are logical vulcans.

That said, I bet the OP has asked the same question on an android forum too, and he can filter out pretty easy the fanboy answers as well as the originally enthusiastic ones. Even the enthusiastic people however can give a clue about the device. It has caused intense emotions on both sides, and that means a lot. The fonearena championship for me also means a lot. The N900 beat out much more adored (iphones) more popular (galaxy), more sold (htc's) phones. It's not at all by chance that the most difficult matchup was with the palm pre.
As a matter of fact, i have asked elsewhere... Well, there were tons of replies from flamers.... and samsung fanboys who thought it was a god-sent device....

So far i am happy to say this community has been mature enuff to provide me with the best neutral review on both that i have seen...

Ive also looked into other threads.. ive found ppl saying nokia abandoned n900 and bug problems and all.. but no user ive seen was treated with bashing or hatred... I am amazed by the open mindedness and helping will of the members of this community and will always be in ur debt..

Also.. it pains me to say this... but most of the senior members dont seem to be around as they used to be.. and many apps seem to have stopped their development or updates... But i guess that happens for every other device... ppl will move on... but somehow i expected a nokia device to hold on a bit longer....

Originally Posted by sting04 View Post
Another reason to choose N900

Quoted from here

Where in India are you? btw congrats on the success of the CWG.. Proud to be Indian
Thanks mate.. always glad to meet a fellow indian...I am from south india.. kerala to be exact...

About the link u posted, i guess there wud be developer version MeeGo... but dunno if it will work when its completely done.. the final version might not work well on n900... For example, ive seen the n900 MeeGo video.. there is an option for pinch to zoom in images... which wont work on n900 coz of the touch screen type...

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I think what he means is that a broken USB is fixable by an expert who knows exactly what he is doing, and got the right tools for the job.
If its just an issue of soldering... i dont think an expert is required... also... they charge here looking at the price of the phone not the work thats to be done....and as for the tools required... i have em with me..

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, UK
SkKnight, let us know how the N900 works out for you mate

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
Multitasking - Go for N900.
Good keyboard - well ehm, there are better physical keyboards on Android devices. N900 keyboard is a bit small, but with practice maybe you can get used to it. Be sure to try one first before you buy a phone, for some the keyboard fits well for others it doesn't.
Memory Capacity - I think N900 clearly wins here as it has 32GB of internal memory and can be expanded up to 64GB (adding a microSDHC card). And it reproduces basically every video (despite the HD ones, those run slow of course. Even on cheap computers).
And, because you won't be using 3G, you can make it GSM mode only to save some battery.

Both devices don't have a great battery, but i think Galaxy S is a little better in battery eficiency.

If you want multitask forget about Android, even Symbian S60 multitasking feels way better in my opinion.

So maybe Maemo 5 and N900 is the choice for you.

But you can also consider waiting some time and check future MeeGo devices

EDIT: About USB plug, i'm not really a super carefully guy, but so far i have my N900 for 4 or 6 months and no problems on the USB cable. Just plug/unplug it vertically (do not bounce it laterally) and i think you'll never get problems.

Last edited by RiD; 2010-10-17 at 20:03.

The Following User Says Thank You to RiD For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by SkyKnight View Post
If its just an issue of soldering... i dont think an expert is required... also... they charge here looking at the price of the phone not the work thats to be done....and as for the tools required... i have em with me..
Positive attitude helps SMD by hand on a broken board (yes, the board brakes when the USB falls off), can of course be done, but not unless you know what you are doing and got the right tools. Good luck

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Helsinki
Yes, well, good luck for trying to solder that thing back together. Chances are you'll either fry it, or just make one helluva mess. In any case, I wouldn't count on it working no matter how competent a solderer you are.