Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
I recommend you just go out and buy a new one. It's easier that way. It's the Nokia way. :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
I recommend you just go out and buy a new one. It's easier that way. It's the Nokia way. :P
Why do you think that comment was worth making?

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
Why do you think that comment was worth making?
Why do you think it was worth even pointing it out? :P
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by !!Nokia N900!! View Post
my condolence
Thanks for your condolences.

Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I'm glad that totally extraneous suggestion about overclocking was disproved.

Since you had a spare fully charged battery, you didn't deserve this problem. You did the right things, in general, it appears to me.

It would be nice if Nokia would report what they found wrong, but that probably won't happen. If they do, let us know.
I'm a very frequent reader of these forums and because I regularly tryout different apps from testing i decided to always keep a spare battery fully charged on the side. Just in case.

It would be nice indeed if Nokia would report what they found, but unfortunately this is not my first Nokia device I had to send to Nokia. The reports i got in the past didn't make much sense.

Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Remove the memory card and sim card - then try to switch it on.

Better to rule it out!
Memory card and sim card where also removed, when i removed the battery.
I even Cleaned the sim card, because I read somewhere that dirty sim cards could mess up the booting process as well.
Actually, I flashed my device with and without memory card, since i was kind of desperate you know ;-)
I had to try everything I could think of first before sending it to Nokia

I'd try flashing a framebuffer kernel: http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/...s/framebuffer/ Then, you can watch it boot up and see where it fails.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Well, such situations is when warranty is good to have.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
If I could I would have bought 2 of them in the first place :-)
Unfortunately my financial situation forces me to have faith in Nokia's care center and/or the insurance company.

Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
I'd try flashing a framebuffer kernel: http://mohammadag.xceleo.org/public/...s/framebuffer/ Then, you can watch it boot up and see where it fails.
I would have tried this if I had this tip sooner :-)
My device is already somewhere between me and Nokia.

Just out of curiosity.
Would it actually made any difference if i knew where it fails during booting?
What i mean by that is this.
If fully reflashing a device doesn't make my device boot beyond the Nokia logo, could I have fixed it if I knew where it fails?

Originally Posted by Venemo View Post
Well, such situations is when warranty is good to have.
Warranty and insurance :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tlex26 For This Useful Post:
It depends - Either it'd let you know -where- it fails, or one of us could (probably) figure out a solution involving a custom fix of some sort. Say the problem was the RootFS NAND had some odd issue involving bad blocks - a complete reformat of it(which -doesn't- happen with just a flash) could help.

The Following User Says Thank You to RobbieThe1st For This Useful Post:
My condolonces. I live in fear of that happening. My old N95 is now my sisters. It is having a lovely retirement not being hacked to death. My N97 was sold in disgust.

Nokia will (hopefully) give you a new one. I hope you have all your media and a backup on your PC. I've just lost all Octobers photos after forgetting to back them up, when I reflashed the eMMC ("A Homer moment" for sure). Good luck.

The Following User Says Thank You to dynomot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by RobbieThe1st View Post
It depends - Either it'd let you know -where- it fails, or one of us could (probably) figure out a solution involving a custom fix of some sort. Say the problem was the RootFS NAND had some odd issue involving bad blocks - a complete reformat of it(which -doesn't- happen with just a flash) could help.
Ahh I assumed that with flashing a reformat was done as well.
I know, I know. Assumption is the mother of all f*ckups

At this point I can't try it out anymore since my N900 is on it's way to Nokia.