Active Topics

Poll: Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???
Poll Options
Did PR 1.3 meet YOUR PERSONAL EXPECTATIONS???

Posts: 28 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mhamza View Post
Would you be more specific?
what is wrong with starting a post?
what is wrong with posting replies?
It's nothing "wrong with starting a post" (thread) or "posting replies". I was talking about how & where you did it. No need for this: for example and may be better in "Offtopic" (no pun intended)...

I've got no problem with people sharing their opinions here.
But (as mentioned in this thread by others):
  • maemo.org is not related with Nokia, hence the name. No responsable Nokia employees listening here.
  • No user in this forum is responsable for Nokia's fails.
  • This has been, and may will be again, a place for constructive exchange between people trying to learn or at least intend to put a little effort into their handset to maximize their pleasure. Lately it's getting more and more a place to whine or rant.
  • Point 3 (== people like you, no pun intended again) results in a less effective way getting informed or advised, as well as informing etc. The whole forum got spamed with threads like this one, while good things (apps, tutorials, news) drown in this crowd of spam. See the "Active Topics" at the right...
Cheers, I'm off.

Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
This community amazes me sometimes...

Worst thing about this whole scenario is that by working away, spending time and money to fix some bugs etc Nokia has brought more hate their way.

Sure, I'd love to see a flash update, and a load of other major features updated in this release, but I'm not disappointed they're not in there. As said before disappointment can only come after an expectation has not been met. I was happy with my phone when I got it, any improvement from there is a bonus to me, and another model coming out with better/equal features doesn't magically make my phone unable to do the things it used to.

A lot of the positive feedback on the new update cites that their phones now seem more responsive and quicker. Should that update have waited 3/6/infinite months until flash, maps etc were ready?

I can't comment on PR1.3 yet as I've yet to see it pop up for an OTA update (I'm in the UK), which just means, like with 1.2, I'll get to see all the problems the eager upgraders have, and how to avoid them. In fact it was a good couple of months after 1.2 that I did eventually do the upgrade, and then only because an app had been improved and the new version needed 1.2

Imagine that: upgrading because there was a reason to and not because the number was bigger..

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
i didnt install PR 1.3 yet. The installation of Ovi took more than 5 Min on my PC, so i cancelled it. (yeah, im VERY bad at this "waiting" thingie or whatever you call it) And I obviously have to use Ovi update.

Oh, and one thing Nokia DID announce was native multiboot.
I didnt read a thing about that AFTER the release of 1.3.
BTW, does anyone has a link or something for the release notes? So I can decide if i may want to install PR 1.3. (Oh, and i dont mean the Release Notes saying "the device now feels faster" or stuff like that. I mean the REAL thing like "this and that has been change in this way")

The Following User Says Thank You to ChoMar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by ChoMar View Post
i didnt install PR 1.3 yet. The installation of Ovi took more than 5 Min on my PC, so i cancelled it. (yeah, im VERY bad at this "waiting" thingie or whatever you call it) And I obviously have to use Ovi update.

I didnt read a thing about that AFTER the release of 1.3.
BTW, does anyone has a link or something for the release notes? So I can decide if i may want to install PR 1.3. (Oh, and i dont mean the Release Notes saying "the device now feels faster" or stuff like that. I mean the REAL thing like "this and that has been change in this way")
A man after my own heart.

Incidentally, how many of the 'Disappoint' posters do you reckon would have installed the update anyway if they'd known exactly what it did.

I'm guessing 100%...

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
And I obviously have to use Ovi update.
Why?

When? I've never heard about that. What would "native" multiboot be, anyway, according to your definition?

What they said was that PR 1.3 would remove the requirement for temporarily flashing the kernel when dual-booting into MeeGo, which basically meant you needed the N900 attached to a PC via USB each time you wanted to start MeeGo. That's what they said, and that's what they delivered. It works, the video's online.

Originally Posted by johnny_knoe View Post
It's a pity that the email widget till doesn't work with nokia messaging- it only shows the number of eMails, but not the subject. So it's pretty useless...
Apart from that the phone feels alot snappier. The update is ok for me and it's nice to see that the N900 is not abandoned by Nokia. Looking forward to MeeGo 1.1 for a dual boot test setup.
yea i thought 1.3 would make email widget work with nokia messaging but sadly it isnt.

Linux Based Devices : Motorokr e6 | Nokia N900

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
no, they didn't.

there was one blog post which said multiboot would be made easier with 1.3 (basically a few kexec patches to the kernel), and the press took that statement and totally blew it out of proportion.

nokia never announced "native" multiboot, since they support only one OS officially (Fremantle aka Maemo5).

edit: i should remember to refresh a thread before answering

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Well, at least Nokia could take some time to take care of the bigger bugs, that's something that a consumer can EXPECT and it's not something that the maemo community should fix.
I am so surprised (and disappointed) that the poor support for handsfree devices is still a fact. It's quite a bunch of car handsfree's that sound so terribly bad that you hardly can hear anything. Aqustic feedback, robotic voice, cutouts and dropped connections (ie useless). That's a BASIC functionality that just should WORK. The most cheap phones handles these bluetooth features better than the expensive n900.

BTW, Don't bash the OP! Even if one doesn't agree completely, he has the right to be angry.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Oh, another thing, Andre Klapper's job at bugs.maemo.org seems primarily be to close bug reports rather than forwarding them to Nokia for thorough investigation.

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
BTW, Don't bash the OP! Even if one doesn't agree completely, he has the right to be angry.
not here, this is NOT a nokia support forum. he can be angry over at forum.nokia.com all he wants.

Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
Oh, another thing, Andre Klapper's job at bugs.maemo.org seems primarily be to close bug reports rather than forwarding them to Nokia for thorough investigation.
and you base that on what, exactly?
IMO he does a great job at forwarding and escalating important and not-so-important bugs.

The Following User Says Thank You to SubCore For This Useful Post:

Tags
fanbois cry, harsh reality, head splitting, noob noise, qt and bugfixes, rraaggee!!!, shitter thread, waaaaahhh